Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Music Room
Facebook

Notices

The Music Room Share your favorite music, or request song lyrics here.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Born Again Believer!

Is it wrong to listen to secular music?

In your oppinion: Is it wrong to listen to secular music, or just music that promotes a worldly lifestyle? For example, a married person can listen to a love song about a woman and relate it to their wife... or listen to songs about living full lives? Or do you believe there is a Spirit behind all music and that music is evil unless it glorifies God?
I am still forming my opinion on this subject...
It is not my job to decide what is a heaven or hell issue, that's up to scripture. It is not my job to privately interpret scripture, adding or taking away, that is wrong as well. It is however commissioned to me to rightly divide the word of truth and to study to show myself approved. God's blessings. JBol
Old 07-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Is it wrong to listen to secular music?

I typically listen to Christian radio, or Classical music, or the news when I'm in the car. So, secular music isn't an issue for me. Movies are the issue for me.

I do watch movies, and while I try to be discerning about the movies, some of the things I see are probably worse then some of the songs I might hear on the radio.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Forever Loved Admin

According to the lyrics for me. I don't care for rap or heavy metal, but I like rock n roll.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 07-11-2012, 04:31 PM
I Am That I Am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboling90 View Post
In your oppinion: Is it wrong to listen to secular music, or just music that promotes a worldly lifestyle? For example, a married person can listen to a love song about a woman and relate it to their wife... or listen to songs about living full lives? Or do you believe there is a Spirit behind all music and that music is evil unless it glorifies God?
Well...here's what I believe. Spiritual warfare is very real, I have seen it run rampant in my life, and it very nearly drove me truely insane. Even if you don't believe in spirits, you should believe in the "spirit of things", as in certain things have certain emotions and feelings tied to them. Now exactly what spirit is the music you're listening to putting across? The depression that comes with country music? The anger and hatred that comes with rock? The pride that comes with rap? Or where you mentioned it, the lust that comes with love music. You may relate the love music to your wife, but just how long before that lust comes full throttle, and you start desiring to relate it to another woman?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Its no more wrong than watching TV or a movie. It comes down to content.

Paul said we can use the things of the world if we dont abuse them. 1 Cor. 7:31

He told Timothy that God gives us richly all things to enjoy. 1 Tim. 6:17

So we need to be mindful of content. Then we need to mindful of time. Eph 5:16

I probably dont spend an hour a week listening to secular music. Every now and then my wife and I do a couple of hours of old (50's 60's) love songs.

I like the old protest/social issues type music. I might listen to a few songs of that now and then.

I have a playlist of songs from the past that when I heard them reminded me of God or Jesus. Believe it or not songs like that tho not Christian songs as to accuracy did get me to think of Jesus from time to time and I think was part of him drawing me to him.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOpEr...ure=plpp_video

So in short keep it short leaving plenty of time for prayer and the word.

Yet if one choses to never listen to anything but Christian music more power to them. You cant go wrong there.

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 07-11-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:23 PM
On the road less traveled

It needs to be a personal choice. If you find that anything you do, watch or listen to takes you to a place that is leading you away from pleasing God, it may be better to refrain, or put time constraints on those things.

Just don't go around condemning every one else if they are not convicted of the same thing you are. Just work out your own salvation as best you can, remembering that we do have to deny our flesh of some things in order to grow deeper in our relationship with Jesus.... which things may not be sin in and of themselves, but if it is sin to us, then we must refrain from it.

I am thinking also of the scriptures in 1 Thessalonians 5:22 "Abstain from all appearance of evil."
Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
Why does one need to be married to listen to a love song? Must one be married to read Song of Solomon? How about The book of Ruth?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Administrator

I don't think it matters whether or not the music is secular; I think the content is important. I want to feed my mind positive, uplifting, inspirational, godly content. That doesn't mean I don't occasionally listen to something "dark", but I avoid music with curse words or lyrics that promote immoral or criminal behavior. My mind doesn't need to be filled with that.

Since there's nothing immoral about love, I don't see why one would have to be married to listen to a romantic song.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron1710 View Post
Why does one need to be married to listen to a love song? Must one be married to read Song of Solomon? How about The book of Ruth?
It's odd that people differentiate so much between the content they read and the content in music. The same rules should apply. Also, while I do think that the bulk of what we consume should be positive, there are exceptions. I may occasionally watch or read to something depressing or something that is negative like a movie or documentary about human rights' violations or maybe cold case files, etc. It can't be butterflies and rainbows all the time.

"To see no being, not God’s or any, but you also go thither,
To see no possession but you may possess it—enjoying all without labor or purchase—
abstracting the feast, yet not abstracting one particle of it;…."

--Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass, Song of the Open Road
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Cross-examine it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissBrattified View Post
It's odd that people differentiate so much between the content they read and the content in music. The same rules should apply. Also, while I do think that the bulk of what we consume should be positive, there are exceptions. I may occasionally watch or read to something depressing or something that is negative like a movie or documentary about human rights' violations or maybe cold case files, etc. It can't be butterflies and rainbows all the time.
I gave my son an assignment this month, each day in his journal as he reads Proverbs he has to associate each one with a song. His song choice for chapter 8...Have You Seen Her. Chapter 7 about avoiding the adulteress...Funky Cold Medina.