Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-19-2018, 10:10 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

Re: Do we have to pay tithes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
I don't understand how you can say that, Paul was a missionary building churches. He is the one who told them they were supposed to support he and his ministerial team. The thing is they didn't. They were taking care of other "super" apostles. Paul teaches them about ministerial support but adds that he wasn't teaching them so they would be obligated to give an offer all of a sudden to him. He informed them that he would rather drop dead then take a dime from them now. You see, giving isn't just a sacrificial thing, it is a spiritual thing. No one needs to tell you that they guy who is teaching you is sucking on his wallet. He also doesn't have to tell you that he is eating Ramen with his family every night. Jesus instructs you in how to give, from the deepness of your soul.
amen
Old 04-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Just as a general comment. Someone who knows Brother Greg Riggen may be able to invite him to debate me on tithing on the debate forum here. I doubt that he would be willing to do so, but I thought it would be a good idea to offer him the opportunity. He may be willing. I shouldn't assume that he wouldn't be. I think he has been on the forum before?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
I am mistaken here, EB is right. The oldest shekel coin known to exist is about twenty seven hundred years old. The shekel was used long before that (about another seventeen hundred years) as money but was a certain weight of silver, gold etc.. I would like for EB and 1ofthechosen to define money according to their understanding of the word, as used thirty two times in the book of Genesis. I believe the definition of money, as used in the Bible (my version is KJV) is important but not necessarily crucial to the debate on tithes.

EB?

!ofthechosen?

Would you be so kind as to define money as used in the Bible, according to your understanding?
Money an ancient medium of exchange in the form of barter, weights, measurements. As in Gerah, Bekah, Pim (2/3 shekel) 1/3 ounce, 9.45 grams shekel (2 bekahs), 2/5 ounce, 11.34 grams, Mina (50 shekels), 1.25 pounds 0.567 kg., Talent (60 minas) 75 pounds 34.02 kg.

money (n.)
mid-13c., "coinage, metal currency," from Old French monoie "money, coin, currency; change" (Modern French monnaie), from Latin moneta "place for coining money, MINT; coined money, money, coinage," from Moneta, a title or surname of the Roman goddess Juno, in or near whose temple money was coined; perhaps from monere "advise, warn" (see monitor (n.)), with the sense of "admonishing goddess," which is sensible, but the etymology is difficult.mint (n.2)

place where money is coined, early 15c., from Old English mynet "coin, coinage, money" (8c.), from West Germanic *munita (source also of Old Saxon munita, Old Frisian menote, Middle Dutch munte, Old High German munizza, German münze), from Latin moneta "mint" (see money). Earlier word for "place where money is coined" was minter (early 12c.). General sense of "a vast sum of money" is from 1650s.

mint (v.)

"to stamp metal to make coins," 1540s, from mint (n.2). Related: Minted; minting. Minter "one who stamps coins to create money" is from early 12c.
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Just as a general comment. Someone who knows Brother Greg Riggen may be able to invite him to debate me on tithing on the debate forum here. I doubt that he would be willing to do so, but I thought it would be a good idea to offer him the opportunity. He may be willing. I shouldn't assume that he wouldn't be. I think he has been on the forum before?
He is done with this place.

But, listen to his teaching on the subject and give your honest opinion.
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Registered Member

Animals, bones, clothes, food, wine, strong drink, sticks, bones, jewelry, humans, can also be considered currency.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
amen
Quote:
Money an ancient medium of exchange in the form of barter, weights, measurements. As in Gerah, Bekah, Pim (2/3 shekel) 1/3 ounce, 9.45 grams shekel (2 bekahs), 2/5 ounce, 11.34 grams, Mina (50 shekels), 1.25 pounds 0.567 kg., Talent (60 minas) 75 pounds 34.02 kg.

money (n.)
mid-13c., "coinage, metal currency," from Old French monoie "money, coin, currency; change" (Modern French monnaie), from Latin moneta "place for coining money, MINT; coined money, money, coinage," from Moneta, a title or surname of the Roman goddess Juno, in or near whose temple money was coined; perhaps from monere "advise, warn" (see monitor (n.)), with the sense of "admonishing goddess," which is sensible, but the etymology is difficult.mint (n.2)

place where money is coined, early 15c., from Old English mynet "coin, coinage, money" (8c.), from West Germanic *munita (source also of Old Saxon munita, Old Frisian menote, Middle Dutch munte, Old High German munizza, German münze), from Latin moneta "mint" (see money). Earlier word for "place where money is coined" was minter (early 12c.). General sense of "a vast sum of money" is from 1650s.

mint (v.)

"to stamp metal to make coins," 1540s, from mint (n.2). Related: Minted; minting. Minter "one who stamps coins to create money" is from early 12c.
Thanks for all of the technical information. Now, do you believe that the Bible (KJV) is wrongly translated when money is used in the Bible?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
He is done with this place.

But, listen to his teaching on the subject and give your honest opinion.
Okay. I was assuming, and I did not want to do that.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Animals, bones, clothes, food, wine, strong drink, sticks, bones, jewelry, humans, can also be considered currency.
you left out teeth. (Whale). But we know, in the context we are seeing in Genesis, it is mostly referring to silver.

Agreed?
Old 04-19-2018, 10:22 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

I have heard that some will preach for bacon

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crispy-bacon-from.jpg (36.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I have heard that some will preach for bacon

I'm feeling the calling.