Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

Re: Do we have to pay tithes?

Hey what do you take from 1 Timothy 5:17-18 "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. [18] For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."
Proverbs 24:24-25"He that saith unto the wicked, Thou art righteous; him shall the people curse, nations shall abhor him: [25] But to them that rebuke him shall be delight, and a good blessing shall come upon them."

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCml...GfzdAfhWLzbz1A
This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name channel where it's all in Him!
Apostolic Truth! His Truth Is Marching On!
SUBSCRIBE to my channel!!
Old 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Eb are you here?
Proverbs 24:24-25"He that saith unto the wicked, Thou art righteous; him shall the people curse, nations shall abhor him: [25] But to them that rebuke him shall be delight, and a good blessing shall come upon them."

This is a One God, Holy Ghost Filled, Tongue Talkin', Jesus Name channel where it's all in Him!
Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthechosen View Post
Hey what do you take from 1 Timothy 5:17-18 "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. [18] For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."
Context is always important. Read the whole chapter and tell me what you think it means. Always look for the whole story. Sometimes the whole idea can be encapsulated in one or two scriptures but it often is not. Sound bite theology often leads to theology that is not sound, and theology that is not sound can come back to bite you.

Just for an example, the book of Job. You really have to read nearly the whole book to get the picture. Other times, such as often is the case in Proverbs, one verse is sufficient, and can even be all you get.

Focus on honour.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tithesmeister View Post
Context is always important. Read the whole chapter and tell me what you think it means. Always look for the whole story. Sometimes the whole idea can be encapsulated in one or two scriptures but it often is not. Sound bite theology often leads to theology that is not sound, and theology that is not sound can come back to bite you.

Just for an example, the book of Job. You really have to read nearly the whole book to get the picture. Other times, such as often is the case in Proverbs, one verse is sufficient, and can even be all you get.

Focus on honour.
That's what I'm focused on. What does it mean in light of "Honour" being the word translated. But in the context the Greek word "timē" or "τιμή" is defined as by Thayer "a valuing by which the price is fixed." James Strong says "a value that is money paid or (concretely and collectively) valuables." I stopped earlier because in context of verse 18 that is the message Paul is conveying. Especially saying "especially they who labour in the word and doctrine." Labor means to work, and that's why he comes with the samething he did in 1 Corinthians 9. By saying in verse 17-18 "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. [18] For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

See you went straight on the defensive so I know you see it!! You didn't answer my question. What do you take from it?

Last edited by 1ofthechosen; 04-20-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
That's what I'm focused on. What does it mean in light of "Honour" being the word translated. But in the context the Greek word "timē" or "τιμή" is defined as by Thayer "a valuing by which the price is fixed." James Strong says "a value that is money paid or (concretely and collectively) valuables." I stopped earlier because in context of verse 18 that is the message Paul is conveying. Especially saying "especially they who labour in the word and doctrine." Labor means to work, and that's why he comes with the samething he did in 1 Corinthians 9. By saying in verse 17-18 "Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. [18] For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward."

See you went straight on the defensive so I know you see it!! You didn't answer my question. What do you take from it?
Brother, you missed my point entirely. I am not on the defense, I was trying to guide you to some truth. I asked you to focus on "honour" and read the whole chapter. You either didn't do so, or you missed it. I am entirely capable of going on the offensive with you. Is that going to help you learn? Or is it going to make you close your mind?

I posted on the fallacy of Brother Riggen's moral law, because my post exposes it three times for being false. Did you read the post? Or do you already know what you want to believe?

Do you want me to spoon feed you? Or would you rather discover it for yourself?

Here is another hint. Honour occurs twice in the chapter.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Brother, you missed my point entirely. I am not on the defense, I was trying to guide you to some truth. I asked you to focus on "honour" and read the whole chapter. You either didn't do so, or you missed it. I am entirely capable of going on the offensive with you. Is that going to help you learn? Or is it going to make you close your mind?

I posted on the fallacy of Brother Riggen's moral law, because my post exposes it three times for being false. Did you read the post? Or do you already know what you want to believe?

Do you want me to spoon feed you? Or would you rather discover it for yourself?

Here is another hint. Honour occurs twice in the chapter.
By the way brother they are not the same Greek word! 5:3 "Honour widows that are widows indeed." This honour is "timaō" or "τιμάω". But in 5:17 the honour there is "timē" or "τιμή". Which means "a valuing by which the price is fixed." Or as James Strong said "a value that is money paid or (concretely and collectively) valuables". That fits in the context of 5:18 "For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward"; otherwise it makes no sense. And I don't care how anointed you are, no one can eat off of "honour". While it would be nice it won't keep anyone fed! Your missing the whole point! I read the whole chapter, but it doesn't take away from what Paul is showing by referencing what he did earlier in 1 Corinthians 9.

So what are you going to do with that? And where is the post about the moral law? I can't find it. I already know what the truth is because "God, performs His word with signs and wonders." And I have no complaints, because I am a co-laborer to Him.

Last edited by 1ofthechosen; 04-20-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post

That does not justify promoting false doctrine.
Bro, giving is never a false doctrine.

Even the rankest sinner understands that.
ALL pastors are hindrances and one should never have a pastor they will only abuse you and you will get hurt. Instead get your instructions from forum gurus that have never built a church.~Steve Epley.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
By the way brother they are not the same Greek word! 5:3 "Honour widows that are widows indeed." This honour is "timaō" or "τιμάω" meaning "to estimate, fix the value, to, honour, to have in honour, to revere, venerate." But in 5:17 the honour there is "timē" or "τιμή". Which means "a valuing by which the price is fixed."

So what are you going to do with that? And where is the post about the moral law? I can't find it. I already know what the truth is because "God, performs His word with signs and wonders." And I have no complaints, because I am a co-laborer to Him.
The same word has slightly different meanings as described by Strong's Concordance. The honour due the widow is to prize, to fix a valuation upon; by implication to revere, honour, value.

In the example of the elder who serves well deserves double honour the definition is Strong's Concordance 5092; a value, ie money paid, valuables; by anal. esteem (especially of the highest degree), or the dignity itself:-honour, precious, price, some.

The semantics are slightly different as you would expect, one being an elder man who rules or oversees well, the other being an older woman who is verified by her service.

In either case the honour is very similar, both being esteemed, both being assessed a value and both being honored.

The difference in the definition being so slight that it did not show up in the translation into English may be merely the semantics that are involved with one of the subjects obviously being male and the other female. There would have certainly been a difference that would have been the result of the cultural and even scriptural difference that applies, even as it does today.

It is likely, in my opinion, that both were possibly eligible to receive assistance from the church as well as the esteem, honor etc.. The obvious difference is that there is a relationship numerically. Whatever the meaning of honour, the widow is worthy of half as much of it as the elder, or the elder is worthy of twice as much as the widow. This relationship is mathematical.

Another common factor in the valuing of the two is that Timothy was to exercise judgement as to whether they were worthy. The widow that is a widow indeed and the elder that rules well. By implication, there will be widows that are not widows indeed, as well as elders that rule poorly, these would not be worthy of honour or double honour. this would, of necessity imply that the honour would not be automatic.

I hope this helps. The post on moral law is #203.

Last edited by Tithesmeister; 04-20-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Bro, giving is never a false doctrine.

Even the rankest sinner understands that.
Would you agree that giving can be done as a result of false doctrine?

Would you agree that all giving is not equally pleasing to God?

Matthew (is it chapter twenty five?) tells us what giving to Jesus looks like.

Would you agree that there is cheerful giving versus fearful giving?

I think I know the answer.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Would you agree that giving can be done as a result of false doctrine?

Would you agree that all giving is not equally pleasing to God?

Matthew (is it chapter twenty five?) tells us what giving to Jesus looks like.

Would you agree that there is cheerful giving versus fearful giving?

I think I know the answer.
If you are paying your tithes out of fear, then I doubt God honors that anyway.