Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Wink Re: Say Goodbye to FMD and HMD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
Opps, we have a winner.

I was appalled to find out that if I, as a cousin to a missionary, wanted to give a monetary gift that amount would have to be reported and deducted from their monthly support.
Tis true; a former missionary told me this 25 yrs ago. It was one of his "issues" with being a foreign missionary.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

Re: Say Goodbye to FMD and HMD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
I have a question about missions- I can understand supporting missionaries to countries in underdeveloped nations,and helping missionaries become established in developed nations. But after a missionary has been in a country for several years, and built up a church congregation- why do we need to keep supporting them? Why can't the local congregation support them. I am talking about countries like France, Ireland, Greece etc. I know there are some missionaries that have done this in other countries- Korea comes to mind- Why don't we have more churches in foreign countries becoming self sufficient?
It sometimes has to do with VISA requirements of an American national being in a foreign country. As that church grows, they might only be able to support a National Pastor, but not a foreign pastor unless he has a work visa for that country.

Really, the American missionaries are Bishops in whatever country that they labor. Most of the time they are there to establish ministers. Then the ministers build up the works. This has more to do with that countries laws then anything else.

The US has similar requirement for missionaries that go there from other countries. If I go to there on a (R) visa, (religious workers), then I must either have money coming from my home nation or be supported by churches inside the US. The US is better than most other countries in that respect. More liberties.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 AM
Sister Alvear

As soon as a church is self supporting we turn it over to the people here so if it were not for the states we would be in a fix...some missionaries I know do pastor and receive tithes however we feel called to establish works and turn them over to the people...Guess much depends on the call and the local setup...and each field is different and we deal with foreign laws...I have a visa that does not allow me to hold a full time job...my visa is a religious visa...and very hard almost impossible to get now in Brazil.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 03-14-2011, 08:51 AM
My Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguidordejesus View Post
So missionaries aren't people anymore? Just give them a gift - doesn't have to be for "missionary" purposes. Some people just follow the rules for the rules' sake. They don't deduct the cost of an ipod if someone gives their kid a gift, do they? lol
Who said they aren't people anymore? Sometimes, giving a "gift" as in an article isn't what they need. Sometimes they need MONEY.

I do understand what you are saying too, but sometimes cash is more practical than shipping them a fridge or mattress.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Who said they aren't people anymore? Sometimes, giving a "gift" as in an article isn't what they need. Sometimes they need MONEY.

I do understand what you are saying too, but sometimes cash is more practical than shipping them a fridge or mattress.
I meant a "gift" of money - and my frustration was directed at the system, not you - sorry if that was unclear

And I still don't understand why these people feel obligated to report this stuff.

This really takes away their freedom to increase their net worth in other ways that are not missionary related, as well.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
My Family!

Quote:
I meant a "gift" of money - and my frustration was directed at the system, not you - sorry if that was unclear

And I still don't understand why these people feel obligated to report this stuff.

This really takes away their freedom to increase their net worth in other ways that are not missionary related, as well.
It's what they are expected to do - - they are being honest. And the "gift" of money is exactly what has to be reported.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
It's what they are expected to do - - they are being honest. And the "gift" of money is exactly what has to be reported.
That's what's crazy. If I'm a stockbroker, if someone gives me a thousand bucks, I don't report it to payroll so they can deduct it from my salary. That's insane. If it's truly a "personal" gift, then it should have nothing to do with their missionary pay.

If it's for a missionary project, that's different entirely, but that's why they have those separate project accounts set up, I imagine.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:10 PM
My Family!

Quote:
That's what's crazy. If I'm a stockbroker, if someone gives me a thousand bucks, I don't report it to payroll so they can deduct it from my salary. That's insane. If it's truly a "personal" gift, then it should have nothing to do with their missionary pay.

If it's for a missionary project, that's different entirely, but that's why they have those separate project accounts set up, I imagine.
I completely AGREE! It IS crazy!!

Hopefully, they've changed - I haven't asked my cousin about it in a while.

Last edited by rgcraig; 03-14-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:

To me that would be the same thing as expecting a pastor who is receiving a salary from his church to report any gifts, offerings, lottery winnings, or honorariums from preaching somewhere else, or any money received from funerals, weddings, baptisms, bar mitzvahs, etc to the church board so his paycheck could be decreased by that amount.

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Sister Alvear

Why would anybody want to know if someone gave me a GIFT? I REALLY LIKE THE UPC but do not agree with all the reporting,,,

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear