Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 04:11 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: Abuse of the Delete Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrog View Post
So next time I post something I shouldn't that I quickly regret I will be sure to leave it. Just please don't ban me for leaving it no matter how bad it is. I would have deleted the offensive post myself but you have asked me not to.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I have a question, which I believe would be beneficial information to the viewers as the initial post needs a bit more clarification, IMO.

It is my understanding that there is a "time frame" for editing. Would that be correct?

If so, and the person is within that "time frame" set up by the forum, how would that be an abuse of the Delete Option? Because, I believe, after that "time frame" that is given is over, which is pretty short as compared to NFCF, the poster has no capability of editing their post. Correct?
*Bump*

Still waiting on an answer.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a question, which I believe would be beneficial information to the viewers as the initial post needs a bit more clarification, IMO.

It is my understanding that there is a "time frame" for editing. Would that be correct?

If so, and the person is within that "time frame" set up by the forum, how would that be an abuse of the Delete Option? Because, I believe, after that "time frame" that is given is over, which is pretty short as compared to NFCF, the poster has no capability of editing their post. Correct?
I wanted to know the timeframe as well. Obviously there is a setting to allow so much time to edit. What is that setting on?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 02-02-2017, 07:48 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfblume View Post
I wanted to know the timeframe as well. Obviously there is a setting to allow so much time to edit. What is that setting on?
I don't know. It is much shorter than NFCF. I think they gave us one hour. Here it is much shorter.

But really, the question is - IF the forum is set up to GIVE us a time frame, what is the issue with a poster using the time frame given?

It seems rather strange to say, "In the future, the Admin team will be on the lookout for specific abusers. Warnings and/or other infractions may result."

How do you abuse a given time frame?
Old 02-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
The option is not designed for you to take pot shots at other members, then delete the record, and hope no one caught you. Nor is it designed to be a panacea for your conscience.
What is it that you all don't understand?
Old 02-05-2017, 03:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:

There is a timeframe, after which only admins can edit or delete a thread or post.

The reason that this option can be abused is because of the way in which it is sometimes being utilized by some members.

Another option that exists, for example, is the Report Button. This is an essential component to this forum, as it helps admins moderate and police the the different boards, because users are reporting inappropriate posts, and etc.

But this option can be abused, too, if it's being utilized in a way that runs contrary to its purpose. So, if a poster has a beef with another member, and is reporting every post that member makes to try and get him or her in trouble, or because they want admin attention, or for whatever other reason, the option then, is being abused by that poster.

In the same way, the delete option can be abused.

This is key:

Admins can undelete and monitor every post made here at AFF. So we can see who is deleting their posts after they've vented some spleen against another user.

Is this the correct way to go about getting one's frustrations out? I'm sure you'll agree that if something posted here by a member gets that far deeply under one's skin, the better, even correct option is to pray through it and let it go, or handle it privately through the PM function, or even the report post function.

Instead, some members lately are being led to post something negative to or about another member, then delete it soon after. This is a no-no, and will be monitored going forward.

The reason this was handled as an open thread instead of through individual PM's is because it's happening in multiple locations and is being done by more than one person.

An open thread like this gives notice to all in one shot, and allows the admins the free time to not have to chase down each and every individual person and each and every individual post.

Therefore, what is done is done.

But thanks for asking and for desiring clarification.

The Admin Team
*AQuietPlace*
CC1
Esther
Hoovie
Prax
The Mrs
votivesoul

Take a moment to review the Forum Rules by clicking here.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

What is the intended use of the delete option?

Maybe some examples of when it's okay to use the delete option would be helpful?

I have trouble thinking of many legitimate uses after this executive order

Last edited by jfrog; 02-05-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Maybe some examples of when it's okay to use the delete option would be helpful?

From page 1, post 1:

Quote:
There are some legitimate reasons to delete your own post, like, for example, if you accidentally double-posted, or quoted the wrong user, and need to clean up the error, and etc.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 02-06-2017, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
From page 1, post 1:
Thanks. So like 2 legit reasons and one of which may be better handled by the edit post option.

At least now I know! Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Not riding the train

Quote: