Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Café Blog-a-bit
Facebook

Notices

Café Blog-a-bit Our own cozy coffeehouse to congregate and share.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
Seems to me that we had a discussion about dishes, bone china and the Willow pattern which you said you liked back a few years ago on GNC if I remember right.

Blue Willow was a very popular pattern at one time. My mom had a set that she used for every day dishes when I was just a kid.

I have a set of Chinese dishes .... has the transparent rice pattern and it's blue and white with a bit of coral. That set of dishes was my very first purchase of anything significant after we had moved to Hong Kong. I got a "western" set - 12 place settings and that included completer pieces, but on top of that I also got the rice bowls, teapot, and soup spoons. It was a huge set and I still have it all minus one teapot cover.

I used to use it a lot at one time. Now it's just all packed in boxes.
yes remember I have a set of nice transparent icy blue green china from my aunt who lived in New Orleans.They were antique when I received them and I have so had to take caution with them after moving so much.Its seems a piece gets chipped or broken on every move.sigh.I love the new yellow color that is in style.It goes with Blue willow so nicely.
I did go all white when I purchased two huge cases of an acorn pattern that is designed by Martha Stewart but it will
never equal those beautiful real china dishes.Are you familiar with an antique pattern called Rhythm? I looked at several sites and cannot locate it anywhere.Its icy blue green and has a silver rim.I am hoping for a china cabinet to replace the built in one I lost by us selling and moving.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Step By Step - Day By Day

From Mac Lucado........

Two types of voices command your attention today. Negative ones fill your mind with doubt, bitterness, and fear. Positive ones purvey hope and strength. Which ones will you choose to heed? You have a choice, you know, "We take every thought captive so that it is obedient to Christ" (2 Cor. 10:5 God's Word).

Do you let anyone who knocks on your door enter your house? Don't let every thought that surfaces dwell in your mind. Take it captive ... make it obey Jesus. If it refuses, don't think it.

Negative thoughts never strengthen you. How many times have you cleared a traffic jam with your grumbles? Does groaning about bills make them disappear? Why moan about your aches and pains, problems and tasks?

"Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life". (Prov. 4:23 NCV)

(surname courtesy of Jim Yohe)
Old 04-13-2007, 09:59 AM

The above quote from Max Lucado went along with these thoughts that I wrote last night...........

WHERE'S YOUR MIND?

Sometimes I think I've lost mine or that at the very least it's taken a momentary leave of absence. LOL.

I had the opportunity to share with an acquaintance the other day who was fretting and upset and worried the fact that we have power over our thoughts. It's very easy to fall into habits and develop mindsets where we dwell on the negative, think the worst, believe the doubts and allow worry to gnaw at us until we become so weighed down that we're not much use to ourselves or anybody else.

The mind is a powerful thing. Many people don't even realize that they've fallen prey to a mindset and attitude that is actually in rebellion against God. Jesus Himself spoke about the power of the mind and told us NOT to worry.

Paul taught in 1 Cor. that we need to "cast down" thoughts and imaginations that exalt themselves against the mind of Christ. So there is an imperative here that we do just that. How do we do it? By training your mind. And yes, you can do that!

When negative thoughts come and you start to dwell on the maybes and possibly's of all the bad things that might be happening or could happen in the future ........ OR dwell on the negative stuff from the past .... you can turn those thoughts around to more positive ones or cut the BAD stuff off - immediately. Begin quoting the promises of God to yourself, sing a chorus that is uplifting. Just do whatever is necessary to turn your thoughts around in a positive direction. By doing this, you'll become become more aware of what you're thinking and HOW you're thinking and recognize negative thought patterns and put a stop to them before they have a chance to take hold.

Negativity pulls you down, makes you feel bad, only aids and feeds discouragement. You are what you think. It's true.

Notice how some people when you're around them make you feel good? I'm not talking about silly foolish type of actions and talk that just becomes annoying, but some people have a way of bringing light and happiness wherever they are. It's because of their attitude and the fact that they've learned to be positive in spite of the negative. The LIGHT within them shines out and around wherever they're at.

2Cr 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
From Mac Lucado........

Two types of voices command your attention today. Negative ones fill your mind with doubt, bitterness, and fear. Positive ones purvey hope and strength. Which ones will you choose to heed? You have a choice, you know, "We take every thought captive so that it is obedient to Christ" (2 Cor. 10:5 God's Word).

Do you let anyone who knocks on your door enter your house? Don't let every thought that surfaces dwell in your mind. Take it captive ... make it obey Jesus. If it refuses, don't think it.

Negative thoughts never strengthen you. How many times have you cleared a traffic jam with your grumbles? Does groaning about bills make them disappear? Why moan about your aches and pains, problems and tasks?

"Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life". (Prov. 4:23 NCV)
Quote:
The above quote from Max Lucado went along with these thoughts that I wrote last night...........

WHERE'S YOUR MIND?

Sometimes I think I've lost mine or that at the very least it's taken a momentary leave of absence. LOL.

I had the opportunity to share with an acquaintance the other day who was fretting and upset and worried the fact that we have power over our thoughts. It's very easy to fall into habits and develop mindsets where we dwell on the negative, think the worst, believe the doubts and allow worry to gnaw at us until we become so weighed down that we're not much use to ourselves or anybody else.

The mind is a powerful thing. Many people don't even realize that they've fallen prey to a mindset and attitude that is actually in rebellion against God. Jesus Himself spoke about the power of the mind and told us NOT to worry.

Paul taught in 1 Cor. that we need to "cast down" thoughts and imaginations that exalt themselves against the mind of Christ. So there is an imperative here that we do just that. How do we do it? By training your mind. And yes, you can do that!

When negative thoughts come and you start to dwell on the maybes and possibly's of all the bad things that might be happening or could happen in the future ........ OR dwell on the negative stuff from the past .... you can turn those thoughts around to more positive ones or cut the BAD stuff off - immediately. Begin quoting the promises of God to yourself, sing a chorus that is uplifting. Just do whatever is necessary to turn your thoughts around in a positive direction. By doing this, you'll become become more aware of what you're thinking and HOW you're thinking and recognize negative thought patterns and put a stop to them before they have a chance to take hold.

Negativity pulls you down, makes you feel bad, only aids and feeds discouragement. You are what you think. It's true.

Notice how some people when you're around them make you feel good? I'm not talking about silly foolish type of actions and talk that just becomes annoying, but some people have a way of bringing light and happiness wherever they are. It's because of their attitude and the fact that they've learned to be positive in spite of the negative. The LIGHT within them shines out and around wherever they're at.

2Cr 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
Wow!! How I needed these words this morning, but how grateful I am that I am reading them now...thank you, Felicity!!
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM

Is That All There Is??

Jhn 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Is that all there is? Ever heard the song?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And when I was twelve years old
My daddy took me to the circus
The greatest show on earth
And there were clowns
And elephants
Dancing bears,
And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads

And as I sat there watching
I had the feeling that something was missing
I don't know what
But when it was all over
I said to myself
"Is that all there is to the circus?"

Is that all there is? Is that all there is?
If that's all there is my friend.....then let's keep dancing.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many times have I felt kind of like this when attending an event or taking a trip or even posting and reading what's written on these forums. Sometimes it all seems so empty and useless.

A post made by Bro. Actaeon yesterday really resonated with me. It was great and I'd like to have said more and even though I didn't I was thinking about what he said. How many times have I sat at my computer reading what apostolics write and think ....... "Is that all there is?" Wishing that someone had something profound or new or enlightening to share that would make me go, "Yes! " That's it. That's what I've been needing to hear, or to see or to know or to understand.

Then last night while still thinking about some of this the scripture popped into my mind....... "To whom shall we go? Thou ALONE hast the words of eternal life." And it's true! So true!

When we go to Jesus in prayer ....... when we spend a little time in His Word ....... there's always something wonderful, something new, something refreshing. We gain knowledge, understanding, hope and encouragement.

It's great to know this isn't all there is. We have a source - a river of life and of refreshment that never runs dry. We have direct access to the throne of God and can enter there boldly to receive from the Master and Ruler of the Universe everything we need including truth. Jesus never hesitates to tell us the truth.

I know this is clumsily written with thoughts not followed through but it's the best I can do this morning with the few minutes I have. At least I got it - such as it is - off my head & heart onto this message screen.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Non-Resident Redneck

Great thoughts.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Steps

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." (Prov. 16:9)

I have great intentions, Lord. You know my heart carries with it many hopes and plans. Some have come to pass, and others I wait for with patience from You.

But lately I sense my life shifting ever so slightly. One moment, my eyes are cast on a defined horizon, and in the next, they are peering at something hazy. Without my permission, without my foreknowledge, my true future emerges. You encourage my heart to carry on.

Thank You God .... for letting me rest in the security of YOUR plans, not my own.

Things change -- sometimes leaving sadness and emptiness in the wake -- and I feel I'll lose my footing. But I know you are holding me upright and directing each step.

I release this day to You.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Is That All There Is??

Jhn 6:68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

Is that all there is? Ever heard the song?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And when I was twelve years old
My daddy took me to the circus
The greatest show on earth
And there were clowns
And elephants
Dancing bears,
And a beautiful lady in pink tights flew high above our heads

And as I sat there watching
I had the feeling that something was missing
I don't know what
But when it was all over
I said to myself
"Is that all there is to the circus?"

Is that all there is? Is that all there is?
If that's all there is my friend.....then let's keep dancing.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How many times have I felt kind of like this when attending an event or taking a trip or even posting and reading what's written on these forums. Sometimes it all seems so empty and useless.

A post made by Bro. Actaeon yesterday really resonated with me. It was great and I'd like to have said more and even though I didn't I was thinking about what he said. How many times have I sat at my computer reading what apostolics write and think ....... "Is that all there is?" Wishing that someone had something profound or new or enlightening to share that would make me go, "Yes! " That's it. That's what I've been needing to hear, or to see or to know or to understand.

Then last night while still thinking about some of this the scripture popped into my mind....... "To whom shall we go? Thou ALONE hast the words of eternal life." And it's true! So true!

When we go to Jesus in prayer ....... when we spend a little time in His Word ....... there's always something wonderful, something new, something refreshing. We gain knowledge, understanding, hope and encouragement.

It's great to know this isn't all there is. We have a source - a river of life and of refreshment that never runs dry. We have direct access to the throne of God and can enter there boldly to receive from the Master and Ruler of the Universe everything we need including truth. Jesus never hesitates to tell us the truth.

I know this is clumsily written with thoughts not followed through but it's the best I can do this morning with the few minutes I have. At least I got it - such as it is - off my head & heart onto this message screen.
Quote:
Steps

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." (Prov. 16:9)

I have great intentions, Lord. You know my heart carries with it many hopes and plans. Some have come to pass, and others I wait for with patience from You.

But lately I sense my life shifting ever so slightly. One moment, my eyes are cast on a defined horizon, and in the next, they are peering at something hazy. Without my permission, without my foreknowledge, my true future emerges. You encourage my heart to carry on.

Thank You God .... for letting me rest in the security of YOUR plans, not my own.

Things change -- sometimes leaving sadness and emptiness in the wake -- and I feel I'll lose my footing. But I know you are holding me upright and directing each step.

I release this day to You.
Wow!! You have rendered me speechless, and a bit weepy...thank you for sharing your heart...!!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
THE BEST BIRTHDAY GIFT OF ALL!

The conversation after a bit drifted to prayer, anointing, burden and how that sometimes seemingly simple, unassuming and unpretentious men .... once they are standing behind the pulpit to minister ... become cloaked in a mantle of anointing that settles down on them, and with with that comes spiritual authority, power and anointing. I've seen it more than once.

A story was related to me about an elderly lady who is a pastor's wife and a pastor's mother and it goes kind of like this .......

Each year through the years on her son's birthday she would spend 8 hours in prayer -- praying for no other purpose than to intercede for her son.
  • Not praying and reading her Bible.
  • Not praying and reading other devotional material.
  • Not praying for the mind of God for a message she might need to speak.
  • Not praying for souls in Africa or Asia or Central America.
  • Not praying for herself or her church or her husband or her grandchildren.

No! That time of prayer was spent entirely praying for her son's needs; the ones she knew about and the ones she didn't know about. That has been and still is her birthday gift to her son each year!

That mother is Vesta Mangun!

Mat 21:22: And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
Wow. I wish I would have started to do this about 18 years ago but no time like the present. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 AM

His Love Trumps Fear

Alright. I confess.
I have a problem sometimes (like most of the human race)
feeling loved and accepted as I am for who I am.....
the fear of rejection a hounding presence ... keeping close company ...
shadowing & hindering relationship.

Trust, I've learned, is to be treated with respect, extended guardedly
and certainly not without full awareness that it, disappointment, and betrayal often go hand in hand.

Getting too close to people and allowing people to get too close to me frightens me - plain & simple.
I wake in the darkness of night swallowing panic
fending off palpable enemies of dread and worry
creating resolve to back up, back off, back away but ....
I've never had a problem trusting Jesus.

He won me over by a LOVE so pure
so amazing so brilliant so all-encompassing
so accepting and nurturing and forgiving and assuring
without condemnation .... and measureless!

Taking away my fear, my shame, my sin and iniquity,
replacing it with joy and peace and power and hope
and a knowledge that I am loved
by Someone who defines the word "LOVE"!
Mighty King of the Universe!
My Deliverer!
Defender!
Strong Tower!
Refuge!
Lover of my Soul!

Who would never leave me, misrepresent me, abandon me,
reject me, betray me, threaten me, wish me ill .....
or ever hang me out to dry!
But pursues me and woos me
ardently, tenderly, committedly, relentlessly, passionately
with a love SO incomprehensible.

I could never walk away from that kind of LOVE!
No, never!!