Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: A Glorious Church?

Good post Aquila, wish there were more apostolic house churches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post
My experience is that the more main stream and balanced organizations and local churches don't support house churches because of a few reasons. The three I've encountered are:
- Pastors often fear that they are a threat to pastoral power. One pastor I know shut down an entire care group network that he originally supported the moment a couple of the elders began to be truly praised by the people for their teaching, tenderness, and anointing. People began asking the pastor to let them preach more often. And several even suggested that these men should be released to start daughter works. The pastor shut it down instantly and commanded that all cease gathering in these home based gatherings. Sadly, these men were then taken off the preaching rotation and found themselves frustrated in their callings. One launched out on his own, leaving for California. The other launched out and started a church in Tipp City, Ohio. The other started a word in Urbana, Ohio. The rest of the care group leaders remain in pews, disenchanted, wondering why the pastor crushed their callings.
- Participative and discussion based groups tend to allow for questions. What is a house church elder, care group leader, or whatever we wish to call them to answer when sincere individuals with a love for the Bible ask about unbiblical standards and requirements that are clearly not in God's Word? As the group gets into deeper study, prayer, and reflection, it casts doubt on the unbiblical tones that are ringing out from the pulpit. And so pastors find their authority challenged. Some pastors, of sincere and tender hearts, have even told me to my face, "Brother, if I didn't preach what this organization requests of me, this district could give me trouble. We have a thriving church, we can't afford that." And so, such groups can prove problematic as people begin to dig into the Word.
- Also, house churches in the United States started out as an act of abandoning the institutional churches. This created a lot of unnecessary bad blood between the two. And so, many pastors associate house churches with rebellious and even hostile believers. It's taken several years for house church leaders to try to get that perception changed. However, many house churches are rather fundamental in their opposition to institutional church forms.
The house church movement is looking at demographics. There are millions of "unchurched" Christians who do not attend a specific church for various reasons. And as cities and urban populations grow, house churching is looking like the most viable method of reaching these demographics. Building a building on the edge of town and trying to convince the millions who dwell in the inner cities to attend just isn't looking as viable as it used to. So, house churchers are simply holding their position and watching as more and more churches close their doors (even many who are called "mega-churches") and seeking to pick up where these sheep are scattered.

It's often been said in house church circles that in the next generation, due to population growth, location, and general distrust for money hungry institutions, more and more believers will be attending house churches and simple church gatherings than ever in the United States. An increasing number of sincere Christians are wondering why they should give so much money to support such massive buildings that are only used a couple times a week and salaries for pastors who are becoming celebrity millionaires, or preaching their politics, when these believers feel they could be giving money directly to local charities that help the poor, the sick, the abused, and the hungry.

Our house church had a ministry called, "Helping Hands". We volunteered at local charitable organizations once or twice a month on a rotation. We also committed to raising funds for these charities. My family chose the Dayton Gospel Mission. We volunteered there and raised quite a bit of money to help the homeless and the economically struggling. Here are some photos from our work at the Dayton Gospel Mission...

P.S.
Many traditional churches want all of your tithes, donations, offerings, etc. to go to the church or programs run by the organization the church is affiliated with. In addition, many Apostolic churches discourage volunteering with charities that are not "Apostolic". And since those are often few and far between in some cities, the Apostolic has nothing to really do but show up, obey whatever is told them, and give their money to the pastor and programs within the organization. Now, this doesn't mean that Apostolic churches don't periodically have food drives etc. during holidays. I'm talking about established charities that often serve thousands of needy people within the community every day of the year. House churches don't function this way. We look to help the local community by serving these local charities regardless of their denomination or creed. We see it as a mission to reach and share the Gospel with those in need, but also with those we work along side of in these charitable organizations. Since house churching doesn't focus on owning buildings, house churches can give as much as 80% of money raised to chosen charities and benevolence work, as opposed to having 80% of money raised go to fund buildings, utilities, and salaries, leaving 20%, or less, for charities and benevolence work.

In all honesty, if one attends a healthy house church... they will be quite busy serving the poor, the needy, and the homeless. We found the need being far beyond the available time we had, and so we began recruiting Christian volunteers from other churches near us! LOL
Old 04-18-2018, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'll give you his name in PM, and you can contact him if you like. I'm not exaggerating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
I'd like that.
bump
Old 04-18-2018, 12:13 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
bump
Oh were you looking for this icon?

Old 04-18-2018, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
In all honesty, if one attends a healthy house church... they will be quite busy serving the poor, the needy, and the homeless. We found the need being far beyond the available time we had, and so we began recruiting Christian volunteers from other churches near us! LOL
What I have found with many Churches (not just Apostolic) is that they start a ministry to serve these groups, but forget to serve those who believe like they believe, and are just as much in need.
But, we seem to get a bigger "pat on the back" by serving these groups, as opposed to going over to work on elderly Sis. Bertha's house. Who needs the help as much or more than those in need that we do not know.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
What I have found with many Churches (not just Apostolic) is that they start a ministry to serve these groups, but forget to serve those who believe like they believe, and are just as much in need.
But, we seem to get a bigger "pat on the back" by serving these groups, as opposed to going over to work on elderly Sis. Bertha's house. Who needs the help as much or more than those in need that we do not know.
This is so true.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
PConsider, this post from Facebook that was directed to me about Donald Trump and his bad behavior towards women....

D***** L****
Does the last name include the name of an auto company?

Actually, hold up. You say this is a FB post. Screenshot it and PM it to me.

Last edited by n david; 04-20-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegsm76 View Post
Good observation. There does have to be a balance.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Does the last name include the name of an auto company?

Actually, hold up. You say this is a FB post. Screenshot it and PM it to me.
I doubt it's this guy with the auto in his last name. Your quote of his alleged statement said he's been married 31 years and in ministry 30 years. The guy I found looks too young.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

D***** L**** Oh no, i served the Lord for over 30 years, a pastor, a bishop as an elder etc. I still enjoy seeing a nice butt on a woman, even nice boobs., been married 31 years, i still enjoy grabbing my wife when she least expects it, i guess that means i treat women wrong. I admit I am a dirty old man, lol.

The sin is not in the look, its when the mind engages, and starts thinking thoughts, now if most men are honest , they would admit the same thing that i did.

Us men have our faults in looking, but women of today let it every thing hang out, so men notice them. A lot more than Trump has a problem with sin.

And smear campaign, look at news, all the way back to when we the people elected him. Smearing him every day, look at the junk bama shoved down our throats, was he smeared daily

I believe the minister said this-- but it is so blatantly obvious that he is speaking with sarcasm AND speaking about his wife. As far as he is defending President Trump, if he's posting on his personal FB page, is that a place where the minister can be human? He has the right to defend President Trump if that is what he wants to do.

When is it ok for the minister to be human?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
I don't believe a word of it. That, or what was posted has been exaggerated for effect.
Your discernment is off.

I posted what he said because when I try to explain what I've encountered, and my thoughts about it, people tend to say, "No way. That's not true." Consider that I had EB tell me I was lying about Christina's niece and her disabled child who desperately needs health insurance. So, it forces me to give some degree of evidence. So, I quoted the man. I'm not wanting to slander him. So, I've provided a screen print of that portion of the conversation. Especially since, again, no one believes me. However, I've covered up the names of the people involved.

I tried to send this in PM, but it wouldn't let me attach it.

I hope this is enough to validate to you and all the doubting haters out there that the conversation actually took place.

You'll note that the beginning of my response is cut off at the bottom. And you can note that nothing was "exaggerated for effect".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UntitledQuoFb2.jpg (12.8 KB, 10 views)