Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Welcome Mat
Facebook

Notices

The Welcome Mat Welcoming New Members! Are you new to AFF? Here's a forum where you can report in and introduce yourself!

Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Re: Visiting a UPC Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Harris View Post
Having read some post on here, specifically those like Steve Epley, I wonder if I really saw a truly UPC church. I didn't realize how much animosity there was toward people who believed in the trinity.

Patrick
We do not have any animosity toward people who believe in the trinity but we do have animosity/hate for the false doctrine teaching of the trinity.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Having read some post on here, specifically those like Steve Epley, I wonder if I really saw a truly UPC church. I didn't realize how much animosity there was toward people who believed in the trinity.

Patrick
Epley is NOT UPC

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Epley is NOT UPC
Yeah, I figured that out.

I guess here's the real crux of the matter.
What I believe or don't believe about the trinity is not a hill I would die on.

I don't think that being Apostolic is heresy even though I lean toward believing in the trinity. I believe there is enough mystery about God that we don't know and that none of us may have the exact truth.

To me there are some foundational truths and the trinity is not one of those.

Thanks
Patrick
Old 09-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Quote:
Yeah, I figured that out.

I guess here's the real crux of the matter.
What I believe or don't believe about the trinity is not a hill I would die on.

I don't think that being Apostolic is heresy even though I lean toward believing in the trinity. I believe there is enough mystery about God that we don't know and that none of us may have the exact truth.

To me there are some foundational truths and the trinity is not one of those.

Thanks
Patrick
Well, that is not what most of the trinity churches teach. They say if you don't believe in the trinity, u're in a cult and on your way to hell, so go figure...
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)
Old 09-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I know that it has been a while since I was on this site, but I will post briefly.

My father said for many years that he was a member of the UPCI because there was nothing better. He was not thrilled with the idea of going independent, and was not thrilled with any of the other options. When he finally felt that something better had come, he left. We did not bad mouth, although we mourned.

We are still in contact with ministers who stayed, and we even have family that remained in the UPCI. It took some time. We have friends who are independent, friends in the UPCI, and friends in other organizations. We only wish for all to have the very best that God has for them.
POD !!!!
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 09-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGBTG View Post
Well, that is not what most of the trinity churches teach. They say if you don't believe in the trinity, u're in a cult and on your way to hell, so go figure...
That is not my belief.

Which is probably why I never seem to fit in any denominational mold. The lady that invited me to the church was born and raised Apostolic, yet we have never had any serious disagreements over who is right.
Also, I’m dyed in the wool Pentecostal, but up until August, I pastored a Baptist church The people who asked me to take the position knew up-front that I was Pentecostal.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I know that it has been a while since I was on this site, but I will post briefly.

My father said for many years that he was a member of the UPCI because there was nothing better. He was not thrilled with the idea of going independent, and was not thrilled with any of the other options. When he finally felt that something better had come, he left. We did not bad mouth, although we mourned.

We are still in contact with ministers who stayed, and we even have family that remained in the UPCI. It took some time. We have friends who are independent, friends in the UPCI, and friends in other organizations. We only wish for all to have the very best that God has for them.
When we left the org in the late 80's a few people left at the same time and quite a few friends (who stayed friends) remained with the church -at least for a while. Virtually all of them have left over the years. What irked me about the whole thing (then) were the large number of folks who were just brutal to the pastor on a personal level (and everyone else for that matter) who suddenly became "good UPC OP saints!" the day after we left and became the ones who would cross the street if they saw you coming in order to not have to expose themselves to a back sliding spirit -and make sure everyone saw them doing it! Now I look back and laugh, actually I was laughing then as well.
To make a long story short, we have friends all over the map as well and they are still friends. Unlike a few posters here, I do not know anyone personally who has condemned us to the fiery pit for not believing their distinct version of oneness.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
Livefortruth, If you are really only 20 yrs old, as your profile indicates, just
how long were you in the UPC and how long did you minister?

I can tell by many of your responses that you are not someone I would want
to follow as a mentor. Don't mean to be offensive but you do not have the
years, the experience or the wisdom to be advising others, in IMOP.

Falla39
I was in UPC church for about 5 years. I read every book in the bible atleast three times and some of them 10 times my first year and the people in my church could tell because I was (still am) always speaking about the scriptures and praying non-stop. I also converted many people from the "other churches" to our congregation which they considered to be "spiritual fruit." I read all the material required for licensed ministry and became involved in publicly and privately debating for UPC doctrine with much fervency. Because of this they began giving me leadership responsibilities that included Sunday School teaching, preaching, meeting with people, leading songs, etc. I'm so glad the Lord brought me out of that movement early and that I didn't spend too much time believing the things that I was taught.

You can have your opinions based on your minimal amount of internet interaction with me but I assure you that you should actually get to know someone before making a personal judgement. Plus I think you might be biased. I doubt that you would receive advice or teaching from anybody who didn't believe you had to speak in tongues to be saved. Not to mention that if they don't believe Jesus is his own Father you couldn't really open up and let them teach you the Bible either. I'm just guessing though and don't want to assume (as you have) because we don't personally know each other
Old 09-30-2011, 01:42 PM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefortruth View Post
I was in UPC church for about 5 years. I read every book in the bible atleast three times and some of them 10 times my first year and the people in my church could tell because I was (still am) always speaking about the scriptures and praying non-stop. I also converted many people from the "other churches" to our congregation which they considered to be "spiritual fruit." I read all the material required for licensed ministry and became involved in publicly and privately debating for UPC doctrine with much fervency. Because of this they began giving me leadership responsibilities that included Sunday School teaching, preaching, meeting with people, leading songs, etc. I'm so glad the Lord brought me out of that movement early and that I didn't spend too much time believing the things that I was taught.

You can have your opinions based on your minimal amount of internet interaction with me but I assure you that you should actually get to know someone before making a personal judgement. Plus I think you might be biased. I doubt that you would receive advice or teaching from anybody who didn't believe you had to speak in tongues to be saved. Not to mention that if they don't believe Jesus is his own Father you couldn't really open up and let them teach you the Bible either. I'm just guessing though and don't want to assume (as you have) because we don't personally know each other
She didn't make a personal judgement. She asked you a question and stated her opinion based on information you have provided. Clarify your information for her or move on. But don't accuse her of being judgemental or you have already assumed as you claim she has.

As little as she knows of you I can promise you know even less of her for judgemental Sis Falla is not.
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 09-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
She didn't make a personal judgement. She asked you a question and stated her opinion based on information you have provided. Clarify your information for her or move on. But don't accuse her of being judgemental or you have already assumed as you claim she has.

As little as she knows of you I can promise you know even less of her for judgemental Sis Falla is not.
Do you even know what comment of her's I was addressing?