Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Isaiah 56:4-5

Re: Discernment of spirits?

Quote:
Okay C, you got me to bite, that is what you want.
What..!?

Quote:
The spirit was compelling or controlling this woman to say the right thing but Paul knew, through the gift, that it was coming from a spirit.
While what she was saying is true, she wasn’t saying the right thing. She was elevating man, not God.

Anyway... Ok. So it can work like that, too.
I guess my issue isn’t with this...

I have a friend who claims to have the gift of discernment of spirits. I’m not saying that God doesn’t speak to him. When we met he spoke to me about things that he had no way of knowing.

But, he sees spirits everywhere. And he ties in his gift into the error that a child of God can give “Satan” a door way into their life by doing xyz. I ask for scripture to support his claims. He has none to offer.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwill83 View Post
When I first started in EMS and was being trained, something I was taught is that whatever I do behind the wheel, stopping, speeding up and turning was felt 10 times worse in the back than in the front and when the medic is treating the patient, running IVs, doing CPR etc its easy to get thrown around if the driver is too rough and abrupt.

To this end, early on and in other services I worked with they had these audible force meters that would warn you to go easier on what you were doing and in doing so it developed muscle memory that allowed me to drive with the same care even when I was in a vehicle not equipped with that force meter.

What you are talking about with the application of Discernment of Spirits sounds like mature believers are to act as that "force meter" that trains immature believers to the point where they can independently function by learning what is God and what isnt.
Hebrews 5:14 (ESV)

But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

The Greek word for discernment is διάκρισιν (diakrisin) from diakrisis, mentioned in my previous post.

So, solid meat is for the mature, the ones who have been trained through discernment to know good from evil. That's exactly what elders and other mature saints are supposed to do with neophytes: help them learn good from evil and gain their own ability to discern truth from error, milk from meat, and someday, become teachers themselves.

https://biblehub.com/interlinear/hebrews/5-14.htm

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 11-13-2018, 05:27 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
What..!?

While what she was saying is true, she wasn’t saying the right thing. She was elevating man, not God.

I have a friend who claims to have the gift of discernment of spirits. I’m not saying that God doesn’t speak to him. When we met he spoke to me about things that he had no way of knowing.

But, he sees spirits everywhere. And he ties in his gift into the error that a child of God can give “Satan” a door way into their life by doing xyz. I ask for scripture to support his claims. He has none to offer.
When someone tells me they have the "gift of discernment" I immediately begin to tune out whatever comes next. Maybe I shouldn't, but when people make a claim for discernment only to use it as some subjective spook test to chase devils or worship angels, then yeah, I have a hard time buying stock in their company.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 11-13-2018, 06:41 AM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
What..!?

What you're describing sounds like Word of Knowledge as far as "reading your mail" goes not discenrment.

Have you asked him why hes attributing a gift of the Spirit to something he got from Satan?

Even the Pharisees accused Christ of casting out demons by the power of demons and Jesus was all like,"Guys, thats some crazy talk."

I appreciate yall for making this discussion possible. There is so much I dont understand at times because Im having to filter through what was taught wrong and not necessarily by pastors but by other "saints".

Some of the mess that gets passed around is old wives tales and witchcraft.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:24 AM
Registered Member

I think it is funny in pentecostal ranks today that many say they believe in the HG yet don't believe in other spirits, ie angels or demons. Especially in the US. Now they can believe that they exist in other countries but not here. I ask them, "why do we need the gift of discerning of spirits if there are no spirits? " They then look at you like you fell out of a tree.

I realize that there are those who try to manipulate or misuse the gift, as with any gift, but to deny the gift because of that is not wise.

This is a gift that is especially needed in the ministry. The Bible talks of many voices in the world, none without significance. I don't believe that these are just human voices but spiritual also. The ministry needs to know what they are hearing and discern the origin.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Have you asked him why hes attributing a gift of the Spirit to something he got from Satan?
What? I’m sorry for not being clear. He believes that xyz opens up the door/gives authority to “satan.” He discerns different spirits on and around church folk.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterrey View Post
I think it is funny in pentecostal ranks today that many say they believe in the HG yet don't believe in other spirits, ie angels or demons. Especially in the US. Now they can believe that they exist in other countries but not here. I ask them, "why do we need the gift of discerning of spirits if there are no spirits? " They then look at you like you fell out of a tree.

I realize that there are those who try to manipulate or misuse the gift, as with any gift, but to deny the gift because of that is not wise.

This is a gift that is especially needed in the ministry. The Bible talks of many voices in the world, none without significance. I don't believe that these are just human voices but spiritual also. The ministry needs to know what they are hearing and discern the origin.
We discussed this briefly, what, 8 years ago?

I think that that may not be what discernment of spirits is... but I am open to correction from YOU if you can lay it out clearly with scripture. Not necessarily openly on this thread.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:41 AM
One Thing-Phil 3:13-14

I have a few thoughts on the subject:

We are to walk after the Spirit so we don't fulfill the lusts of the flesh:

Quote:
Galatians 5:19-21 19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God
Jesus balanced His time between withdrawing/separation to pray and ministry:

Quote:
Luke 5:16 16But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.
What we focus on is what we become:

Quote:
Proverbs 23:7 King James Version (KJV)
7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.
So when we spend our time with worldly media, entertainment, music, ect, we are opening ourselves up to the works of the flesh, spiritual wickedness. What is in our hearts will come out of our mouths. We are not going to be in tune with the Spirit. The callings of God are without repentance, but you can end up with a Balaam Spirit, being a false prophet. (Numbers 22)

So, maybe discernment is having an understanding of where people are coming from, what spirits they are subject to because of what they have been entertaining.

Last edited by Amanah; 11-13-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
I have a few thoughts on the subject:

We are to walk after the Spirit so we don't fulfill the lusts of the flesh:

Jesus balanced His time between withdrawing/separation to pray and ministry:

What we focus on is what we become:

So when we spend our time with worldly media, entertainment, music, ect, we are opening ourselves up to the works of the flesh, spiritual wickedness. What is in our hearts will come out of our mouths. We are not going to be in tune with the Spirit. The callings of God are without repentance, but you can end up with a Balaam Spirit, being a false prophet. (Numbers 22)

So, maybe discernment is having an understanding of where people are coming from, what spirits they are subject to because of what they have been entertaining.
Amen.

I also believe that discernment can be given to the ministry to know what spirits are coming against the local church, or attempting to rise up within the church. Spirits of darkness may not be able to possess saints of God, but when a saint grows carnal and cold they can certainly be influenced by spiritual darkness. The devil's agenda is to oppose the work of God, and if he can influence people within the congregation, he is able to raise up opposition. God will give direction to the ministry on what type of spirits are influencing so that they can preach, and spiritual saints so that they can pray.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:03 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterrey View Post

I don't know a lot of people who have that view. Actually, I don't know a single person. However, we can say that the US didn't have to deal with demonic spirits as much as our missionaries who were living in countries filled with idolatry and witchcraft.

Now, as the US has changed, such a strong influx of foreigners and our morality in decline, we are seeing and will see more of this.

We have three spirits to deal with: human spirit, God's Spirit, and demonic spirits.

Several words I have heard through the years that have formed my thinking:

1. "I believe in the Supernatural. I believe in God being Super and me being natural.

2. "I can take care of a demonic spirit in 5 minutes. The human Spirit is what scares me. You can't change that." Billy Cole - words to effect.

3. "If you look for the devil, he will show up. If you look for God, He will show up."

4. "I have met missionaries and pastors who had become too overly conscious of the demon world. They were forever seeking out evil spirits instead of spending time praying and reading the Bible. We have to be aware of this trick of the devil - distraction. He tries to distract us from the work that God has commissioned us to do."