Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Apostolic Articles
Facebook

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 08:36 AM
"One Mind...OneAccord"

That same storm

Well, we are getting some much needed rain here in North Alabama. Not alot, mixed with a little wind. The weather man tells us this is the remnants of Tropical Storm Fay. My niece, who lives in Central Florida said that, as storms go, Fay was mild. Rain... lots of rain and somewind, but, thankfully, very little damage.

I thought this morning how that I now am experiencing the affects of the same storm that Beth had gone through afew days ago. I then thought of the verse from the Book of Job- "Man that is born of woman is few of days and full of trouble". We all go through storms to some degree. Hurricanes, tornadooes, blizzards, and thunderstorms are, well, a fact of life. So too are the problems we face on an almost daily basis. Oh, I know, as Christians, we like to think we are somehow immune to problems. We like to believe that, once we become God's children, He keeps us safe from the storms of this life. And, He does, I suppose, by giving us peace in the midst of storms. But problems, like storms, come to us all in one form or another. And, in the midst of the strom, it seems we are the only people on earth facing that strom. But, our neighbors are there as well. And sometimes, as in the case of my niece and I, though we are separted by many miles, we have endured, or are enduring, the same storm.

Whatever storm you are contending with in life, you are not alone. Someone has endured that storm before you. Someone is facing a similar storm even as I scribble these words. Someone else will have to deal with that same storm, or at least one very similar to it, at some point in life. Maybe that storm you are facing is the death of a loved one. It may be that you don't know how to deal with the grief you are feeling. Well, my friend, someone has endured that storm before you. They know how to prepare for it, they know how to deal with it, and they know how to recover from it. And, as you find your self in the eye of the storm, you are gaining insight on how to help someone else who will one day find themselves being storm tossed.

Maybe you are facing the break up of a marriage. You feel this is "the storm of the century". And, you may be right, but you're not alone in that strom. Many others are facing those same angry storm clouds. Other felt as you feel- "this is the end", I am a failure", "I will never love or be loved again". You feel this storm has no end. But it does. They say a massive storm has been raging on Jupiter for centuries- but, take heart... you are not on Jupiter. The storm will subside, and you will have endured. And you'll walk away from that storm equipped to help someone deal with a similar storm in their life.

Storms come in various types and degrees of severity. I was driving the other day and, in the distance, I observed a storm what seemed to be huge. The clouds were black, the lightening was ugly looking. I just knew it was going to be a big storm. But, it fizzled. It died before it could gain in strength. Thats like many of the problems we face in life. They look and seem menancing, but, sometimes they just fizzle out. Sometimes, not, however. Whatever you are facing, you are not alone. Others have been there, still others will be. That same storm you faced is the same storm I am now experiencing. The Bible tells us this: Psa 34:19 Many [are] the afflictions of the righteous: but the LORD delivereth him out of them all. Allictions, problems and storms come to all but, somehow, someway God delivers those who trust Him. Yes, Christians suffer pain. They suffer heartache. But, they endure because God is on their side. The Bible tells of different people who came through some storms. Jesus did. As did the Apostle Paul. They endured some of the same storms you are facing. And God will bring you through if you will just keep your eyes on Him.

Waiting for the Lord is easy... Waiting patiently? Not so much.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Rebel with a cause.

Re: That same storm

Excellent thought, OA........as usual.

You mentioned on another thread that you would like to hear me preach - well likewise, my friend!
"Many people view their relationship with God like a "color by number" picture. It's easier to let someone else define the boundaries, tell them which blanks to fill in, and what color to use than it is for them to take a blank canvas and seek inspiration from the Source in order to paint their own masterpiece"