Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

I've Started Writing

Well, I've started writing the book I've had in the back of my mind for a number of years. It is the experiences of my life....first being raised as a Catholic, drinking and partying, meeting my husband, getting into first the charismatic church and then the UPC, getting into the ministry, staying there and assisting for a number of years, going into Home Missions, pastoring an established work, the horrifying experiences we had there, and, finally, leaving,

We have been out of the UPC for 6 years now. My how time flies. I could not even sit down and start before this without getting way too emotional. Now, it's just flying out. I have written 11 chapters in a brief period. I am writing about Home Missions now. I am not sure how I will do when I start writing about the established pastorate.

Anyway, just saying I'm finally writing it, if anyone is interested.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Re: I've Started Writing

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 05-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
Well, I've started writing the book I've had in the back of my mind for a number of years. It is the experiences of my life....first being raised as a Catholic, drinking and partying, meeting my husband, getting into first the charismatic church and then the UPC, getting into the ministry, staying there and assisting for a number of years, going into Home Missions, pastoring an established work, the horrifying experiences we had there, and, finally, leaving,

We have been out of the UPC for 6 years now. My how time flies. I could not even sit down and start before this without getting way too emotional. Now, it's just flying out. I have written 11 chapters in a brief period. I am writing about Home Missions now. I am not sure how I will do when I start writing about the established pastorate.

Anyway, just saying I'm finally writing it, if anyone is interested.
Glad you are coming to terms with your past and are able to write about your experiences. Naturally, I am interested but would have to read your book (And I will want to do just that!) to comment further.

You understand, I am sure, that many will not share your enthusiasm with what you are writing. Your experience will resonate with some who left abusive situations - and some of those UPC, and it may even resonate with some who still are a part of UPC. I am truly sorry you were hurt so. It's indeed sad you had such a negative experience while so many others have been blessed and found the Lord in the midst of programs such as Home Missions and the United Pentecostal Church.

Let me know when the book is available, please.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Glad you are coming to terms with your past and are able to write about your experiences. Naturally, I am interested but would have to read your book (And I will want to do just that!) to comment further.

You understand, I am sure, that many will not share your enthusiasm with what you are writing. Your experience will resonate with some who left abusive situations - and some of those UPC, and it may even resonate with some who still are a part of UPC. I am truly sorry you were hurt so. It's indeed sad you had such a negative experience while so many others have been blessed and found the Lord in the midst of programs such as Home Missions and the United Pentecostal Church.

Let me know when the book is available, please.
One of the biggest issues I've had with writing it is knowing that some people will not share the enthusiasm that I am writing it. But, I am not writing it to bash anybody. I am writing it to tell my truth, my journey.

I have been writing it in such a way to explain it to people of all perspectives. For example, I am explaining things in detail in case people in my family were to read it. I am not sure if people raised in fundamentalist churches can understand how odd and strange fundamentalism is to people not raised in it. So, I am writing it partially to try and explain my journey to them. I am also writing it to explain my journey out to those who are still in etc.

So, I have the first draft of 11 chapters done. The third part (part about the established church) is going to be the most difficult emotionally. I wrote a few times a week to a friend of mine back then, telling him and his wife everything that was going on, both as a way to let off steam and to compare notes as he and his wife were making their own journey out of an Apostolic organization at the same time we were. I saved all those emails, so I should have a written journey of it. I have put it out of my mind a lot and not sure how fast I can look at all that junk and feel like I still have my head screwed on straight!! LOL! Anyway, after I write the whole thing, I want to go back through in segments and add things. I intend to document it very well. I have a lot of footnotes already from UPC authors concerning doctrines the UPC espouses and why.

So, anyway, I suspect it will take me a number of months, but I will let you know when it is finis! Thanks for your interest!

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

ILG, are you now critical of upc standards? what is your view of the upc? what kind of church do you now attend?
Old 05-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedicated Mind View Post
ILG, are you now critical of upc standards? what is your view of the upc? what kind of church do you now attend?
I have been critical of UPC standards for 10 years. I have a negative view of the UPC. I do not currently attend church at all.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

are you going to write about upc criticisms in your book? do you mind airing them here in this thread or can you direct me to a thread where you did? i'm interested in hearing them, i'm former upc, i may go back unless i find another apostolic church. i may visit an apostolic assembly in the near future. i don't agree with standards either but i can tolerate them i think.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:09 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
I am not sure if people raised in fundamentalist churches can understand how odd and strange fundamentalism is to people not raised in it.

Could you explain this statement a little further? I've been trying to understand the real difference between fundamentalist churches and non-fundy.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

Will this book help to lead lost souls to repentance, water baptism in Jesus name, and the infilling of the Holy Ghost?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
Could you explain this statement a little further? I've been trying to understand the real difference between fundamentalist churches and non-fundy.
http://everything2.com/title/The+dif...ist+Christians

That's a pretty decent explanation of the difference between fundamentalism and evangelicalism.
"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn’t help the poor, either we’ve got to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we’ve got to acknowledge that he commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition — and then admit that we just don’t want to do it."
-Steven Colbert