Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-01-2017, 03:24 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Re: What Are You Reading Currently, 2.0

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy Paperback – Unabridged, August 29, 2011
by Eric Metaxas (Author)

when I finish reading the above, I'm going to go back and finish about 6 other books that I am in the middle of reading . . .
Old 06-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Administrator

The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 AM
Administrator

I finished Acts in the NKJV and am in Romans now.

I also began reading 1984 by George Orwell. I felt like I needed a bit of diversion and distraction, since the book I am trying to get through, namely Jerusalem: The Biography, is very hard to get through. It's fascinating, to be sure, but much like how a heart transplant is fascinating. An impressive wonder, but very technical and a surfeit of information.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 06-12-2017, 07:17 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
I finished Acts in the NKJV and am in Romans now.

I also began reading 1984 by George Orwell. I felt like I needed a bit of diversion and distraction, since the book I am trying to get through, namely Jerusalem: The Biography, is very hard to get through. It's fascinating, to be sure, but much like how a heart transplant is fascinating. An impressive wonder, but very technical and a surfeit of information.
Thy Kingdom Came?

"Many Christians do not try to understand what was written in a verse in the Bible. Instead they approach the passage to prove what they already believe."
Old 06-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Administrator

It's on the list.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Plan B - Pete Wilson
The Power of a Half Hour - Tommy Barnett
Old 06-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

America's Caesar: The Decline and Fall of Republican Government in the United States of America, by Greg Loren Durand. 2001

From the back:
"America is no longer the land of the free. In Senate Report 93-549, the U.S. Congress made the astonishing admission that, since at least 9 March 1933, the American people have lived under a state of national emergency (martial law). Instead of a federal Government of delegated and limited powers, what now operates from Washington, D.C. is a centralized military despotism which claims ultimate sovereignty over its citizens and rules them by statute in all cases whatsoever. Gone is the right of the people to own property, gone is their right to due process in a constitutional court, and gone are their liberties.

Beginning with the usurpations of Abraham Lincoln, this book explains how the so-called emergency powers of the President of the United States developed over a period of seven decades and finally culminated in the virtual supplanting of the Constitution by Frankin Delanoe Roosevelt's New Deal democracy. The author draws heavily from a wealth of rare political literature from the past two centuries, as well as long-forgotten Government documents to paint an unsettling picture of American history and to show why nothing ever seems to change in Washington, no matter which political party is in power."
The book begins with the American Revolution and traces the Tory movement to the Federalists and the New England Secessionism during the War of 1812, and on to the rise of the "Grand Ole Party" of Lincoln, the War Between the States, and on to FDR and today. Extensively documented with long quotations from period newspapers, published speeches, minutes from the Constitutional Convention and documents from the State Legislatures, Court cases, etc. Massive footnotes, and even includes a built in study guide with questions (and answers) for each chapter. Big book, over 500 pages, large size format with small type.

Absolutely fascinating reading, pro-Christian and pro-limited government, and shows that the American Revolution did not end with the Treaty of Peace or the cessation of armed hostilities, but continued until at least 1865 and on to FDR's time in the 1930s.

I'd say it's must reading for anyone who wants to understand American history. Looks like it would make an excellent history or government textbook for homeschoolers or private schools, too.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Last edited by Esaias; 06-18-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:38 AM
Administrator

In Jerusalem: The Biography, I'm about to read the chapter on The Balfour Declaration. I have about 120 pages to go to the end of the book.

Just picked up a few new ones, too:

Dead Sea Scrolls by Dr. John DeSalvo, Ph.D
SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Dr. Mary Beard, Ph.D
The Origins of Political Order: From Pre-human Times to the French Revolution by Francis Fukuyama.

Also, in Romans in the NKJV.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Covenant Apostolic

If You Can Keep It: The Forgotten Promise of American Liberty Hardcover – June 14, 2016 by Eric Metaxas

New York Times bestselling author Eric Metaxas delivers an extraordinary book that is part history and part rousing call to arms, steeped in a critical analysis of our founding fathers' original intentions for America.

In 1787, when the Constitution was drafted, a woman asked Ben Franklin what the founders had given the American people. "A republic," he shot back, "if you can keep it." More than two centuries later, Metaxas examines what that means and how we are doing on that score.

If You Can Keep It is at once a thrilling review of America's uniqueness—including our role as a "nation of nations"—and a chilling reminder that America's greatness cannot continue unless we embrace our own crucial role in living out what the founders entrusted to us. Metaxas explains that America is not a nation bounded by ethnic identity or geography, but rather by a radical and unprecedented idea, based on liberty and freedom for all. He cautions us that it's nearly past time we reconnect to that idea, or we may lose the very foundation of what made us exceptional in the first place.

https://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Ke.../dp/1101979984
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Covenant Apostolic

kind of funny, Esaias' book seems to make my book obsolete