Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Re: Disappointment with the Apostolic Friends Foru

Hey Crackerjack, did you know that it was only a few months ago I found out who your wife is and she is someone I have known for a long time???!!!! She was a relative of my pastors family when I was a teenager. Your wife is a twin right?
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
Liberals believe the UC and the C's are saved and brothers and sister in Christ, the UC's and the C's generally believe all liberals are hell bound.

That is the reason for the liberals being more aggressive in defence, and the UC's and the C's running away!!! LOL!

This of course relates back to the Ultra judgmental attitude of the Ultra Cons. That's the one thing that I found most prevalent with my former associations.... judge so quickly and so harshly.

BT

LIFE: Some days you're the dog and some days you're the hydrant!

I have ... Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia! The fear of long words.

"Prediction is very hard, especially about the future." - Yogi Berra

"I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress, and grow brave in reflection." - Thomas Paine
Old 01-18-2011, 10:11 PM
crakjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Hey Crackerjack, did you know that it was only a few months ago I found out who your wife is and she is someone I have known for a long time???!!!! She was a relative of my pastors family when I was a teenager. Your wife is a twin right?
No, I think you are mistaken.
For it is written, "As I live, says the Lord every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall give praise to God. (Romans 14:11- NASB)

www.tentmaker.org
www.coventryreserve.org
Old 01-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakjak View Post
No, I think you are mistaken.
Never mind then!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 01-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Renewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy View Post
The latter, it got very personal.
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThinkin View Post
Cindy, would you say that was caused by the attitude of the Ultra Cons or the Liberals?

In your time of being on the forum would you say, (I hope without causing an uprising), that the Liberals were more considerate of others opinions or the Ultra Cons?

BT
Both. As Cindy said, somewhere along the way it became personal. Instead of debating scripture it turned to debating one another. AFF has a rule I sometimes have to go back and read.

We do not allow any rebuking, hatefulness, name calling, or verbal attacks by any person or group of people, toward any person or group of people.
Organizations can be discussed but not assaulted.
Posters can have disagreements but not bloodbaths.
Apostolic truth can be questioned but not be mocked.
Doctrinal absolutes can be queried but not criticized.
Admin can be contacted privately but not called out openly.
Standards can be debated but not minimized and disrespected.
Posts can be diametrically opposed but not diabolically attacking.
Concerns can be expressed freely but not just hurled and unrestricted.

There were (and still are ) times when these "rules" are thrown out the window, (with the baby). I remember being involved in a discussion that had to be locked down several times during its lifespan to give posters time to cool off. It was during that discussion I myself realized I had allowed others to get to me personally. An attitude emerged from both sides that basicly said: "I'm right, because I say I'm right". And I still see alot of that attitude today, the only thing that has changed is many members of one side has decided they were tired of playing the game. Not because of a lack of being able to defend their position, but because they got sucked into personal attacks. It became more about who could slam someone the hardest instead of decent theological debate.

There is a reason conflict always makes the headlines in newspapers, magazines and tv. Because thats what sells. It's no different here. Yes, it would be a boring place if everyone believed the same. The problem is, somewhere along the way it became boring to have a decent respectful discussion.

JMT
You can't reach the world with your talents. People are sick and tired of religious talents. People need a Holy Ghost annointed church with real fruits to reach out and touch their lives. ~ Pastor Burrell Crabtree

In fact I think that the insinuation of "hateful" Pentecostals is coming mostly from the fertile imaginations of bitter, backslidden ex Apostolics who are constantly trying to find a way to justify their actions. ~ strait shooter

www.scottysweb.com
www.chrisscottonline.com
Old 01-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovie View Post
Here is the problem. If you are UC, how do you nicely say your fellow member is he'll bound? The new breed of liberals openly laughed at the irony and often mocked the UCs.
The reverse was also true. "Liberals" were mocked by cons.

If you go back and read really old threads, the attitude was definitely on both sides.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Sister Alvear

I think we can mention differences but I cringe when people start calling names, sending others to hell, sitting in God´s seat and deciding...it would seem there are so many things to unite us on a forum that we could talk about blessings. missions, life experiences without cutting someone down.
I KNOW I AM TALKED ABOUT IN CERTAIN CIRCLES BECAUSE I WRITE HERE BUT WHEN PEOPLE STOOP TO TALK ABOUT OTHERS THEY ARE ON THE WRONG TRACK. THOSE THAT I HEAR SAY CERTAIN THINGS ABOUT ME BUT NOT ONCE HAVE THEY EVER TALKED TO ME PERSONALLY EVEN TO ASK ME WHAT I BELIEVE OR WHY I WRITE HERE.

And if they did it would be the same reason I write anywhere else! I love people...I ENJOY having different friends. I NEED EVERYONE´S PRAYERS.

Just had people to leave my place early this morning that came from far south Brazil. I did not know them...we had a wonderful time and plan to go visit them sometime this summer and preach for them...

I count many people from the far right to the far left and right in the middle my friends...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 01-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
The reverse was also true. "Liberals" were mocked by cons.

If you go back and read really old threads, the attitude was definitely on both sides.
Very true...and very sad...that both sides came to that point. It did become VERY uncivil and VERY disrespectful IMO and I just stayed away! I know to the UC's I am very liberal and probably splitting the lake of fire wide open; however, I respect their opinion and feelings towards me. I don't like it and I don't agree with it, but diversity is good! What does that scripture say? Iron sharpeneth iron? We NEED different opinions and viewpoints in order for us to stay on top of the game so to speak. It has become a very different forum just in the few years I have been on here, and that is both good and bad. I do miss some of the posters and their input...even though Epley was a real treat sometimes! LOL
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
Been Thunkin,

There is still diversity at AFF but not as great as it used to be. At one time there was a significant number of "ultra cons" and "cons" who participated. I am talking those who do not believe in short sleeves, video screen magnification, etc. There was a lot of lively discussion on many topics between ultra cons, cons, moderates,libs and ultra libs that was for the most part civil and respectful. Over time a liberal element became involved that did not care for civil discussion but instead preferred bombastic statements and ridicule. There was an exodus of most ultra conservatives and conservatives which left the forum less diverse and interesting in my opinion. Still a lot of great folks here though.
When I look back to the beginning, I was barely out of the ultra-con camp back in them thar days. They used to harrass me mercilessly. Now, nobody bugs me. LOL!

But it did have a very interesting dynamic back the that was almost magical. I'm not sure it will ever be recaptured.

When I was young and clever, I wanted to change the world. Now that I am older and wiser, I strive to change myself. ~
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILG View Post
When I look back to the beginning, I was barely out of the ultra-con camp back in them thar days. They used to harrass me mercilessly. Now, nobody bugs me. LOL!

But it did have a very interesting dynamic back the that was almost magical. I'm not sure it will ever be recaptured.

Tell me more!!

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves