Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

View Poll Results: What is the best UPCI endorsed college and why?
Apostolic Bible Institute 1 3.13%
Christian Life College 11 34.38%
Gateway College of Evangelism 6 18.75%
Indiana Bible College 9 28.13%
Jackson College of Ministries 0 0%
Northeast Christian College 0 0%
Texas Bible College 5 15.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2008, 12:36 PM
His Eminance, High Potatohead Potatotate

Re: What is the best UPCI endorsed College?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoni View Post
My son wanted to go to IBC but I refused to fund it. I told him I would help him go to an accreditted college. He received almost a full ride scholarship to Anderson University but instead chose to go into the Ironworker Apprenticeship program. He graduates in Feb with his Journeyman's license and an Associates degree in Applied Science. I am very proud of him, although I would have chosen a profession for him closer to mine LOL

Blessings, Rhoni

P.S. He graduated from High School with honors in English and in Art. Kids these days - you never know what they'll do.
Maybe he'll go to IBC like he originally wanted to....
Old 10-14-2008, 01:33 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Maybe he'll go to IBC like he originally wanted to....
I think not...He wants to go his own way - doesn't want to be a fourth generation Hand preacher, and doesn't want to be a counselor...I think he loves working with his hands. He called me and told me he shot his first buck - I forgot the points - I think 8. He also caught a 5# bass. He is having both mounted. So you see...as much as I am a city girl I have birthed redneck children
Old 10-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered Member

I do not hear much buzz about attending a Bible College these days from Pentecostal Young people. Most of the kids that graduate from high school at our church- are very focused on secular education. I really do think that that should be the path for our kids. I really think it is a shame that we do not have one college that our kids could go to to get a secular degree. I really think even those called to the ministry should get a secular degree and get a taste of the real world. I like the Baptist model- A minister does not become a full minister until 33 years old and only with a masters degree.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Matthew 7:6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
I do not hear much buzz about attending a Bible College these days from Pentecostal Young people. Most of the kids that graduate from high school at our church- are very focused on secular education. I really do think that that should be the path for our kids. I really think it is a shame that we do not have one college that our kids could go to to get a secular degree. I really think even those called to the ministry should get a secular degree and get a taste of the real world. I like the Baptist model- A minister does not become a full minister until 33 years old and only with a masters degree.
Well, lets not get carried away now. Using that type of model, some of Jesus's apostles wouldnt qualify to be apostles, since they were not educated men.

Acts 4:13
When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.

I'm T France, and I approved this message.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

I know- but I do think trusting someone in the pulpit who has been seasoned by life, mentored by a responsible minister, and educated is a great idea. Mix in the Holy Ghost and pray and you have a dynamic combination.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:49 PM
delete account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubayou View Post
I agree!

Blessings, Rhoni
Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 PM
"I am a friend of God"...sing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFrance View Post
Interesting question. I'm sure you could get a wide variety of answers.

But in my view, a lot of it has to do with the simple fact that to me UPCI leadership (and perhaps UPCI culture as a whole), have not placed enough importance on the value of secular university education and preparation for secular careers as do the believers in some of these other denominations.
Not ONLY secular education but Health education! I remember how unpopular it was to promote anybody to be a Medical Doctor!!!! I found the comparison with the Seventh Day Adventists to be interesting. How many Hospitals does the UPC have in comparison to the Seventh Day Adventists?
Old 10-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

For get earthly college knowledge and seek the only true knowledge from above, it's the only worth while .
And someday master you. --Anon.

The most deadly sins do not leap upon us, they creep up on us.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered Member

Smile Re: What is the best UPCI endorsed College?

I think you can have both. Our family attends a good church and we have a very wise pastor, Bishop Ewing. My daughter and son attended all twelve years of school in Lake Charles and went on to achieve secular degrees at McNeese State University in Lake Charles. They have degrees in public relations and sociology, minors in criminal justice and spanish respectively. My daughter is married to a young man who also attended McNeese and has two degrees one in finance and one in accounting. All three are active in ministry and aspire to greater service. They are in visible positions in the community due to their professions and are in touch with life. Thank God for the counsel of a wise Shepherd and a good church.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:16 PM
the ultracon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcraig View Post
JCM is closed.
That would be the best one then ;-)