Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

My Sister And I.

I don't talk about this much,but I feel like unburdening myself here for some reason.
I only have one sister, who is a year younger than me,anyways when we were in our teens our parents seperated she went with my mother and I went with my dad.
Anyways we have never been close,I never hear from her I call her but she doesn't return my calls,and she lives in TN. so I don't get to see her too much.
Anyways I wish something would change about our relationship,you see my daughters are getting older and they don't even hardly know their aunt.

The older I get the more I think about this,something down inside of me yearns to be close to my sister,does this sound odd ?
Thanks for being a ear.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Re: My Sister And I.

Bro Scott.. Have you told her how you feel as you told us? Or even better, send her a card with words you would like to say and add a note...
There are so many cards with heartwarming words.. I would let this be unconditional... in fact, if you do not hear from her.. send her another card a couple of weeks later.
Keep calling... tell her " I love you, Sis".... whether you feel you have an invitation or not... All of us want to be accepted and loved.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
I don't talk about this much,but I feel like unburdening myself here for some reason.
I only have one sister, who is a year younger than me,anyways when we were in our teens our parents seperated she went with my mother and I went with my dad.
Anyways we have never been close,I never hear from her I call her but she doesn't return my calls,and she lives in TN. so I don't get to see her too much.
Anyways I wish something would change about our relationship,you see my daughters are getting older and they don't even hardly know their aunt.

The older I get the more I think about this,something down inside of me yearns to be close to my sister,does this sound odd ?
Thanks for being a ear.
Scott,

This sounds like a very natural desire. Have you considered writing her? It might be easier to take time and say exactly what you want to say in writing rather than trying to call.

You could include your desire that your daughter know her aunt and your contact information.

Do you know much about your sisters life? Did she turn out ok or does she have issues?
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

I need to do that,but it's kinda hard but after so much silence between us.
I used to see her at mother's during Christmas but my mom's husband and my sister had words and she doesn't go there anymore.
I guess I need to reach out to her,but it seems kind of awkward.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

Yes she turned out ok and she and her husband live around Nashville.
Sometimes when she is at my mother's house she will call my mom and then speak to me a little.
Sometimes though I think about this.I really don't know what to do about the matter.
I want to go see her sometime.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Sister Alvear

Brother Scott buy her a car...thinking of you...you donīt have to go into any long story just say love you sis...sign off...do this every once in a while and we will pray with you for a strong relationship to be built up...

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 07-23-2008, 06:33 PM
Crazy father of 4

Location: Now? Phoenix, AZ. Before? Newark, OH, Wyandotte, MI, Tampa, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hutchinson View Post
Yes she turned out ok and she and her husband live around Nashville.
Sometimes when she is at my mother's house she will call my mom and then speak to me a little.
Sometimes though I think about this.I really don't know what to do about the matter.
I want to go see her sometime.
You should Scott. Don't wait for sometime to get here, make it something you do now. Decide a date, set the money aside and go see her. That way your mind is at peace. Do every thing you can do.

I'll get back to you when I figure it out.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

I proably sound silly for posting such a thing.But sometimes I get to thinking about this alot.
Sometimes when I have vacation time I can't afford to go visit her.
My stepfather has colon cancer and is extremly ill,but my mother and my wife and kids have talked of seeing my sister in a future trip.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Alvear View Post
Brother Scott buy her a car...thinking of you...you donīt have to go into any long story just say love you sis...sign off...do this every once in a while and we will pray with you for a strong relationship to be built up...
Hmmmm.....buying a car sure seems expensive and might be seen as trying to buy her love. I think a card would be much more appropriate.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Sister Alvear

boy oh boy what a difference one left out letter makes... I need to proof read more!

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear