Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Wild Side
Facebook

Notices

The Wild Side Firearms & Hunting; Feed your wild side here!

Old 03-02-2015, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

"Millennials Must Hunt" (L)

Quote:
Generation Y has inherited the most polluted planet in all of recorded human history. The impact of this is felt everywhere, but no more viscerally than on our dinner plates. The question of where our food comes from is on the lips of everyone today, with books like Food Inc or The Omnivores Dilemma fueling a rethink on what food and eating mean in the 21st century.
Quote:
As a generation, our entire generation faces a choice: either continue the disastrous environmental, and economic food policies of the Boomers or make new choices regarding how and what we eat.
Quote:
It's time for us to start hunting.
Quote:
For most of American history, people had a direct and personal relationship with the food they ate. Farming and hunting traditions were passed from one generation to the next, and parents taught their children how to hunt in the wild. After World War II, hunting activity suffered a massive decline when the Baby Boomers became the first generation to decide that hunting was no longer a primary source of food, but rather an act of leisure. Times had changed, food was now space-aged, it was tin-foiled and microwaved, it was processed and manipulated, and it was prepared in factories by machines and migrants. This period created the greatest distance between people and their food, and it is no coincidence this period was also the most environmentally devastating in human history.
Source Link
Old 03-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Banned

Re: "Millennials Must Hunt" (L)

nice. Unfortunately hunting, fishing, and farming have largely become illegal now.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:47 AM
Registered Member

The laws and limitations involved make it difficult, plus there is not a lot of the usual game that was typically used for food.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Registered Member

Here in AZ, options are limited, especially living in the Phx metro.

I do somewhat envy my friends, a couple who live in Montana and more who live in Colorado.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
nice. Unfortunately hunting, fishing, and farming have largely become illegal now.
There is one suburb here which allows chickens and gardens. But, yes, most cities have banned people from being able to grow their own food. I have yet to hear/read a valid reason for the ban.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:10 AM
Banned

oh, there are always reasons deemed "valid," that largely do not enforce the will of the people, imo...but i think a garden in one's backyard is usually ok. I'm from CO, love elk; but hunting an elk = about $1000, with no guarantee of even bagging one lol
Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazeep View Post
oh, there are always reasons deemed "valid," that largely do not enforce the will of the people, imo...but i think a garden in one's backyard is usually ok. I'm from CO, love elk; but hunting an elk = about $1000, with no guarantee of even bagging one lol
Wow! I haven't looked at the fees for license. We have elk here in AZ which can be hunted. We also have buffalo.

I've heard the deer license has changed back home. Now it's some kind of lottery where you pay a small amount to be put in the lottery and then you buy the license if you win. Used to be you just paid the fee and went hunting.

I kind of understand the limitations though. I mean, if all the hunters went hunting, it would almost wipe out some species.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
On the road less traveled

Who says you have to hunt to have your own meat? Meat can also be grown on your own place - think chickens, pigs, and cows....
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

Here in Wisconsin, we eat our fair share of wide game. Mostly fish, venison and duck. Bear is a great meal. Turkey is also fine table fare.

I do know sustenance hunters on the reservation.

Most of our wide game consumed is venison and fish. Primarily trout and walleye.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeshua is God

Here in California we could turn our swimming pools into fisheries.