Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: What Are You Reading Currently, 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston View Post
Borrowed from Esaias' library.
lol

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-06-2017, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by votivesoul View Post
I just finished 1984 by George Orwell.

Also finished up Romans in the NKJV and have moved on to 1 Corinthians.

I started reading Hail, Holy Queen: The Mother of God in the Word of God by Dr. Scott Hahn.

https://www.amazon.com/Hail-Holy-Que.../dp/0385501692

From the jacket:
Just finished Hail, Holy Queen. Not sure what I'm going to pick up next. I might start in on The Latin New Testament: A Guide to its Early History, Texts, and Manuscripts by H. A. G. Houghton, Oxford University Press:

https://www.amazon.com/Latin-New-Tes.../dp/0198744730

Quote:
Latin is the language in which the New Testament was copied, read, and studied for over a millennium. The remains of the initial "Old Latin" version preserve important testimony for early forms of text and the way in which the Bible was understood by the first translators. Successive revisions resulted in a standard version subsequently known as the Vulgate which, along with the creation of influential commentaries by scholars such as Jerome and Augustine, shaped theology and exegesis for many centuries. Latin gospel books and other New Testament manuscripts illustrate the continuous tradition of Christian book culture, from the late antique codices of Roman North Africa and Italy to the glorious creations of Northumbrian scriptoria, the pandects of the Carolingian era, eleventh-century Giant Bibles, and the Paris Bibles associated with the rise of the university.

In The Latin New Testament, H.A.G. Houghton provides a comprehensive introduction to the history and development of the Latin New Testament. Drawing on major editions and recent advances in scholarship, he offers a new synthesis which brings together evidence from Christian authors and biblical manuscripts from earliest times to the late Middle Ages. All manuscripts identified as containing Old Latin evidence for the New Testament are described in a catalogue, along with those featured in the two principal modern editions of the Vulgate. A user's guide is provided for these editions and the other key scholarly tools for studying the Latin New Testament.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 07-10-2017, 02:51 AM
Administrator

I finished 1 Corinthians in the NKJV and am in 2 Corinthians.

I decided to wait on The Latin New Testament. I was recently at my mom's and saw she owns a copy of Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Church by Frank Viola. I asked to borrow it, was granted permission, and am two chapters in.

Much in it are things I've already considered and thought about. One catch for anyone who might like to read it: There's a very BIG push in it to relate the Church and how it ought to meet to the doctrine of the Trinity and how each Person relates and interacts with one another. It's not a turn-off for me, as I can filter through it without much issue, but caveat emptor.

http://votivesoul.wordpress.com/
Old 07-10-2017, 05:16 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Watching a DVD series from the Teaching Company

The Apocalypse:
Controversies and Meaning in Western History

by Professor Craig R. Koester
Professor of New Testament at Luther Seminary

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/cours...n-history.html
Old 07-10-2017, 10:29 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
Watching a DVD series from the Teaching Company

The Apocalypse:
Controversies and Meaning in Western History

by Professor Craig R. Koester
Professor of New Testament at Luther Seminary

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/cours...n-history.html
I was thinking about some of the Great Courses series, are they any good from what you've seen so far?

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
I was thinking about some of the Great Courses series, are they any good from what you've seen so far?
my husband and I love them, we have invested quite a bit in them, we both love History, and he loves the Science courses.

This is my Favorite course, it may to too introductory for you Esaias, not sure.

http://www.thegreatcourses.com/cours...ern-world.html

Last edited by Amanah; 07-10-2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Covenant Apostolic

the preterist *left behind* series

Tyrant: Rise of the Beast (Chronicles of the Apocalypse) (Volume 1) Paperback – February 21, 2017
by Brian Godawa

Hatred of Christians is Nothing New
Ancient Rome, A.D. 64. Alexander, a young Jewish doctor, is torn between his loyal Roman citizenship and his passionate Jewish faith. As a personal physician to Roman Prefect Severus, he is ushered into the circle of the evil emperor Nero Caesar, a tyrannical beast with diabolical plans of Christian genocide.
Nero blames the Great Fire of Rome on the Christians, which leads to the horrific persecution of the early church including the martyrdom of the apostles Peter and Paul. Alexander finds himself in the middle of this madness, trying to stay alive and protect the Jews from the emperor’s paranoia.
Nero discovers that an unknown apostle has written a secret apocalypse scroll rumored to prophesy the destruction of Rome and the end of the world. So he orders Severus and Alexander to find the author, destroy all copies of his scroll and kill him.
But Severus’s servant, a bold Christian woman named Cassandra, holds a dark secret that opens the door to a world of spiritual warfare they’re not ready to face. It will lead them directly to the true meaning of the apocalypse, the book of Revelation, and it will change their lives forever.
Spiritual Warfare, Sword and Sorcery, Angels and Demons
The human story is not the only one in the book of Revelation or in this series. Chronicles of the Apocalypse shows the evil plans of Satan and his fallen angels the Watchers masquerading as gods of the nations at war. This gang of demons is not going down easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
the preterist *left behind* series

Tyrant: Rise of the Beast (Chronicles of the Apocalypse) (Volume 1) Paperback – February 21, 2017
by Brian Godawa

Hatred of Christians is Nothing New
Ancient Rome, A.D. 64. Alexander, a young Jewish doctor, is torn between his loyal Roman citizenship and his passionate Jewish faith. As a personal physician to Roman Prefect Severus, he is ushered into the circle of the evil emperor Nero Caesar, a tyrannical beast with diabolical plans of Christian genocide.
Nero blames the Great Fire of Rome on the Christians, which leads to the horrific persecution of the early church including the martyrdom of the apostles Peter and Paul. Alexander finds himself in the middle of this madness, trying to stay alive and protect the Jews from the emperor’s paranoia.
Nero discovers that an unknown apostle has written a secret apocalypse scroll rumored to prophesy the destruction of Rome and the end of the world. So he orders Severus and Alexander to find the author, destroy all copies of his scroll and kill him.
But Severus’s servant, a bold Christian woman named Cassandra, holds a dark secret that opens the door to a world of spiritual warfare they’re not ready to face. It will lead them directly to the true meaning of the apocalypse, the book of Revelation, and it will change their lives forever.
Spiritual Warfare, Sword and Sorcery, Angels and Demons
The human story is not the only one in the book of Revelation or in this series. Chronicles of the Apocalypse shows the evil plans of Satan and his fallen angels the Watchers masquerading as gods of the nations at war. This gang of demons is not going down easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Interesting.

One of my favorite Christian Fiction authors is Frank Peretti. I loved his books "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness." If you haven't read them, I highly recommend it. Both tell the story of a small-town church and what is happening in the spirit world between angels and demons -- and the power of prayer to battle against evil.

Last edited by n david; 07-10-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 03:44 AM
Covenant Apostolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Interesting.

One of my favorite Christian Fiction authors is Frank Peretti. I loved his books "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness." If you haven't read them, I highly recommend it. Both tell the story of a small-town church and what is happening in the spirit world between angels and demons -- and the power of prayer to battle against evil.
I have read and enjoyed Peretti.

I'm thinking about reading Tyrant: Rise of the Beast because it is interesting to see the popularization of preterism.
It's a book attempting to bring a different view of eschatology to the masses, if successful.
Old 07-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Administrator

I finally finished Jerusalem: The Biography by Simon Sebig Montefiore last night. By no means a slog; it's actually very good and I would argue, a MUST read for students of the Bible and prophecy. This is not popular history, but a very in-depth account of all the main events in the city from the time of King David to the Six Day War.

Many preconceived notions about the history of the city are easily dismissed by the erudite scholarship on display. I highly recommend it. The author is directly related to the Montefiores who were involved, along with the Rothchilds in bringing about the revitalization of the Jewish Quarter in the late 1800's.

Below is an interview with the author (I haven't watched it for content, so viewer beware).

After finishing it last night, I started reading Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth by Reza Aslan. It's another in a long line of attempts to discover a so-called "historical Jesus" apart from the Gospels, or at least, with some of the Gospels and other New Testament narratives being held up as authentic while casting aside many of the other parts.

We shall see how it goes...

Last edited by votivesoul; 07-11-2017 at 04:45 PM.