Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library > Apostolic Articles
Facebook

Notices

Old 05-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

The Importance of Prayer

This is an article that appeared in the January 1965 and the February 1973 issues of The Pentecostal Herald which is the official publication of The United Pentecostal Church. I thought you might find it interesting and some of you might even recognize the author's name.

THE IMPORTANCE OF PRAYER
by James Ellis
Cincinnati, Ohio

One of the most important elements in a Christian's life, and one of the easiest to neglect, is prayer. Most of us fail to devote the the time and effort to prayer that we should. Perhaps if we realized how important prayer actually is, we could better find time to spend before the throne of God.

The Lord Jesus Christ, leaving us an example that we should follow His steps, considered prayer of utmost importance in His life. We have several instances of His praying recorded in the Bible.

He began His public ministry with prayer. "It came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized and praying, the heaven was opened and the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon Him" (Luke 3:21-22). Immediately afterward He retired to the wilderness to spend forty days in fasting and prayer (Mark 1:12).

Throughout His public ministry we find Jesus praying. Although He was the Almighty God He was also human, as we, and had to maintain a personal spiritual life. When a person is having great success, it is easy for him to slacken up and let down in his prayer life. This was not so with our Lord. At a time when followers were thronging Him and miracles were occurring on every side, "He withdrew Himself into the wilderness and prayed" (Luke 5;16). When He was so pressed for time, we find that, "...rising up a great while before day, He went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed" (Mark 1;35).

The work became so great that Jesus could no longer handle it by Himself. He must choose some to help carry the load. He went out and "...continued all night in prayer to God" (Luke 6:12) for wisdom in selecting the right individuals.

Jesus' prayer life was so blessed of God that others wished to have the same life of communion. "It came to pass that, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, one of His disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray" (Luke 11:1) Does our prayer life bring such evident blessing that others seek to imitate it in their own lives?

One of the most outstanding experiences in the life of Christ was His transfiguration. This occurred when He "...went up into a mountain to pray" (Luke 9:28). Leaving that mountain top experience, He went down into the valley below. There He expelled a demon from a boy. His disciples had been powerless before this demon. When they later questioned Him as to why they were unable to cast the spirit out, He told them, "This kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting" (Matthew 17:21). When confronted with the spirit, Jesus did not have to retire from the scene to get "prayed up" or to fast. He had been living a prayerful life and constantly stayed in tune with God.

As the time drew near for His sacrificial death, Jesus gathered His disciples around them and told them of the trying time which was to come upon them. He warned Peter, "Simon, Simon, behold Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat," and then added encouragingly, "but I have prayed for thee" (Luke 22:31-32).

On the way to the garden of Gethsemane, He prayed for all of those who would later become His followers (John 17:1-26). Then, alone in the garden, Jesus faced His impending death. As the cup of suffering and sin-bearing came into view, He shrank from it and prayed that it might be avoided. But, through prayer He received the grace to consign Himself to the Father's will (Matthew 26:38-42). When Judas came with the Roman soldiers to betray Him, Judas knew where to look for Him. He "knew the place: for Jesus ofttimes resorted thither" (John 18:2). Judas knew how faithful and consisted the Lord was in His prayer life.

As Christ writhed in pain upon the cross, He prayed for the forgiveness of those who so wrongfully put Him to death (Luke 23:34). But our Lord's praying did not stop with His death. The writer of our New Testament Book of Hebrews says that "He ever liveth to make intercession for us" (Heb 7:25) and that His blood still cries out on our behalf for mercy (Heb 12:24). Also, His Spirit within us helps us in our inadequacy and prays through us for our edification (Romans 8:26-27; Jude 20; Eph 6:18).

The early Christians recognized the importance of prayer. They had been commissioned to go into all the world and preach the Gospel to every creature. But, before they were to go out preaching, they were to wait in the city of Jerusalem until they were "endued" or "clothed" with the power of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4-9 ). It is recorded that they were "continually in the temple praising and blessing God" (Luke 24:53). On the feast day of Pentecost, 120 followers of Jesus were gathered together. While praying there in one accord, they were baptized with the Holy Ghost (Acts 2;1-40. Peter, under the anointing of God's Spirit preached a sermon and three thousand were converted and baptized in water in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:37-41). The historian records that "...they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers" (Acts 2:43). We pride ourselves in being apostolic in doctrine, but are we apostolic in our prayers?

The first miracle of healing recorded in the Book of Acts occurred at the Temple gate as Peter and John were on their way in to pray (Acts chapter 3). When persecution came, they prayed for more of God's blessing and power in their midst (Acts 4:23-31) and as a result, they were filled again with the power of the Holy Spirit and they spoke the word with boldness.

When material duties became too great for the Apostles to handle by themselves, they appointed "deacons" to assist them. They said, "We will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the Word" (Acts 6:4). They wished to keep the blessing and anointing of God in their lives. Perhaps we would see more apostolic results in our assemblies and personal ministries if we would "give ourselves" to prayer.

According to tradition, the Apostle Paul was saved on January 25, A.D. 32. When the risen Lord appeared to him, he was told that he was a chosen vessel to bear the name of Jesus to "Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel" (Acts 9:15-16; 26:12-18). Then after spending three days in prayer he was filled or baptized with the Holy Spirit and baptized in water in the name of His Lord. We don't read a whole lot about him or his ministry for a while but then about 15 years later we find him in a predominantly Gentile church in Antioch. There he is listed among some who are called "prophets and teachers." While they were in a prayer meeting, the Spirit spoke and said, "Separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them" (Acts 13:1-2). In response it is recorded that they "fasted and prayed and laid hands on them and sent them away" (Acts 13:3). This was the beginning of what we refer to as Paul's three missionary journeys which were followed later by his journey to Rome. Throughout his ministry we find Paul in his writings both telling folks that he was praying for them and asking for their prayers for him (Romans 1:8-10; 15:30-32; 1 Cor. 1:4-9; Eph 1:15-23; 6:18-20; Phil 1:3-6; Col. 1:3-6; 4:12; 1 Thess 1:2-4; 5:16-25; 2 Thess 1:3; 1 Tim 2:1-8; 2 Tim. 1:3).

to be continued in part 2
Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: The Importance of Prayer

continued from part 1 above

During the course of the history of the Christian church, those who were outstanding leaders were men who realized the importance of prayer.

Martin Luther said, "If I fail to spend two hours in prayer each morning, the devil gets the victory through the day.... I have so much business I cannot get on without spending three hours in prayer. ... To pray well is half the study. He that has prayed well has studied well. ... I judge that my prayer is more than the devil himself; if it were otherwise, Luther would have failed differently long before this.... If I should neglect prayer but a single day, I should lose a great deal of the fire of faith."

John Wesley, who brought genuine revival to England was a man of prayer. One historian wrote of him saying, "Perhaps no other Englishman ever did more for his country than this little, wide-awake evangelist." One of his acquaintances said, "He thought prayer to be more important business than anything else, and I have seen him come out of his closet with serenity next to shining."

Wesley arose at 4:00 a.m. and spent two hours daily in prayer. He fasted twice a week, and preached as high as four or five times a day. He traveled constantly and had no permanent residence. He translated the New Testament into English and wrote a commentary on the entire New Testament. Recently his writings were published in a fourteen volume set. He set England on fire for God.

He is reported to have said, "Give me one hundred Christians who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not a straw whether they be clergymen or laymen; such alone will shake the gates of hell and set up the kingdom of heaven on earth.... God does nothing but in answer to prayer."

Luther, Wesley and others were used of God to restore truth to the world. They accomplished great things for God because they were men of consecration and prayer.

This latter day outpouring of the Holy Ghost which we are now partaking of and enjoying fell upon praying people.

In 1900 Charles F. Parham dedicated the Bethel Bible School in Topeka, Kansas to the work of the Lord. In the rear of the building was a cupola which was used as a prayer room. Volunteers from among the students took turns of three-hour periods each so that prayers were ascending to God twenty-four hours a day.

Just before the new year the classes were to study the subject of the baptism of the Holy Ghost. Mr. Parham had to leave for a short trip, and before he left he assembled the students. He told them he was familiar with all the leading teachers' theories about the baptism of the Holy Ghost, and the various evidences that one had received it. He said that none of these theories entirely satisfied him. "Now students," he said, "while I am gone, search the Scriptures to see if you can find some sign or evidence that is outstanding in apostolic precepts and practices in the reception of this vital experience, the baptism with the Holy Ghost."

Upon Mr. Parham's return, he immediately assembled the students and asked them if they had found any real outstanding Bible evidence of the baptism with the Holy Ghost. The answer was unanimous: "speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gave utterance."

The students began praying night and day for an experience similar to the Bible pattern. On January 1, 1901, the Holy Ghost was poured out. Brother Parham laid his hands on one of the students at her request, and she began speaking with tongues. Hundreds gathered to pray and seek the Lord and received the baptism. From there, the experience has spread throughout the world and millions have been baptized with the Holy Ghost, with the same evidence as those in the New Testament Church.

Wherever people have received the Pentecostal experience, we find that it comes in answer to prayer. If we want to keep this blessing in our midst, we must keep praying. Perhaps few are receiving this great experience in some assemblies. Could this be because there is not enough time and effort put into the altar service? The altar service is vitally important for the continued life and growth of the church. During this time Zion travails in prayer to bring forth children.

We have seen the importance of prayer in the life of Christ, in the early Apostolic Church, in the lives of great men of God through church history, and in this last-day outpouring of the Spirit of God. The person who prays is the one whom God can use and work through. There is, today, a real need for praying people in the church.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

something interesting.

The above article is the way it appeared in the January 1965 Herald.

In the February 1973 Herald there was a small change made.

Instead of reading, "... Peter, under the anointing of God's Spirit preached a sermon and three thousand were converted and baptized in water in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:37-41)."
it said, " Peter, under the anointing of God's Spirit preached a sermon and three thousand were saved and baptized in water in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:37-41)."

I guess it was just a difference of opinion as to which editorial staff person decided how to present the article.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
of 9!! :)

Awesome study on prayer, Bro Sam (er Bro Ellis)
Old 05-10-2012, 06:01 AM
Registered Member

Yes nothing should be more important to us than our time with Christ Jesus.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

I enjoyed your thoughts on prayer, and all that has been included, history most certainly, Bro. Parham, whom I have read after, carefully, with much interest. my mother new him personally, great man. lots of history to be gathered here, some I am aware of personally, having met, and had prayer with some of the early disciples of our faith. yes prayer is a part of my daily life. my wife and I have morning prayer every morning. read our bibles and discuss his word. we are old time apostolic followers..
Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM
On the road less traveled

Wonderful words of truth Sam. A wake-up call to all of us. I spend time with the Lord each day, but I know I could spend more. Sometimes we are so busy in the work of the Lord that we forget to spend time with the Lord of the work.

May this same praying spirit that was in Christ Jesus, the apostles, the early church, Luther, Wesley, and many, many more become a rallying cry in all of our hearts!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Wonderful article! It is a priviledge to pray to the One and True Living God - JESUS!!
Old 07-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

I am seeing a theme in that article that is not in according to our faith in Jesus Christ.

Quote:
He began His public ministry with prayer. "It came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized and praying, the heaven was opened and the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon Him" (Luke 3:21-22).
That is not all that had happened. The Father spoke from Heaven testifying of the Son. This was the fulffillment of all righteousness that Jesus was talking about as this event after His water baptism fulfilled a prophesy in scripture.

Matthew 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him. 16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: 17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Isaiah 48:16 Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord God, and his Spirit, hath sent me. 17 Thus saith the Lord, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the Lord thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

So the article putting the spotlight on the Holy Spirit as if that is the result of prayer is not rightly dividing the word of truth. At first, that theme was not so evident, but I was wondering why the Father speaking from Heaven was left out, but then it became obvious as the article went into that theme later on.

Quote:
When persecution came, they prayed for more of God's blessing and power in their midst (Acts 4:23-31) and as a result, they were filled again with the power of the Holy Spirit and they spoke the word with boldness.
Ask God "who" "they" are. Look at the beginning.

Acts 4:1And as they spake unto the people, the priests, and the captain of the temple, and the Sadducees, came upon them, 2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead. 3 And they laid hands on them, and put them in hold unto the next day: for it was now eventide. 4 Howbeit many of them which heard the word believed; and the number of the men was about five thousand.

.....13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.

....23 And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them. 24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

So the "they" that are speaking are not Peter and John. The "they" are the ones that heard what Peter and John had testified of as it is now the hearers that are speaking.

....31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. 32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

These were new believers in Jesus Christ. They even testified to the apostles below:

....33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all. 34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold, 35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need. 36 And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, and of the country of Cyprus, 37 Having land, sold it, and brought the money, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

So a new body of believers had been formed: Peter & John were not filled again with the Holy Ghost, because they were already filled when they were saved.

Quote:
Just before the new year the classes were to study the subject of the baptism of the Holy Ghost. Mr. Parham had to leave for a short trip, and before he left he assembled the students. He told them he was familiar with all the leading teachers' theories about the baptism of the Holy Ghost, and the various evidences that one had received it. He said that none of these theories entirely satisfied him. "Now students," he said, "while I am gone, search the Scriptures to see if you can find some sign or evidence that is outstanding in apostolic precepts and practices in the reception of this vital experience, the baptism with the Holy Ghost."

Upon Mr. Parham's return, he immediately assembled the students and asked them if they had found any real outstanding Bible evidence of the baptism with the Holy Ghost. The answer was unanimous: "speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gave utterance."

The students began praying night and day for an experience similar to the Bible pattern. On January 1, 1901, the Holy Ghost was poured out. Brother Parham laid his hands on one of the students at her request, and she began speaking with tongues. Hundreds gathered to pray and seek the Lord and received the baptism. From there, the experience has spread throughout the world and millions have been baptized with the Holy Ghost, with the same evidence as those in the New Testament Church.

Wherever people have received the Pentecostal experience, we find that it comes in answer to prayer. If we want to keep this blessing in our midst, we must keep praying. Perhaps few are receiving this great experience in some assemblies. Could this be because there is not enough time and effort put into the altar service? The altar service is vitally important for the continued life and growth of the church. During this time Zion travails in prayer to bring forth children.

We have seen the importance of prayer in the life of Christ, in the early Apostolic Church, in the lives of great men of God through church history, and in this last-day outpouring of the Spirit of God. The person who prays is the one whom God can use and work through. There is, today, a real need for praying people in the church.
Don't let any phenomenon or any teaching make anyone think that you can receive the Holy Spirit again and after a sign. That would be like saying that the Father didn't give you the Holy Spirit the first time when you were saved so don't pray for that Whom we had received by faith in Jesus Christ.

Luke 11:9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. 10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. 11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? 12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? 13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

So to ask for the filling of the Holy Spirit is to bear false witness that the Father did not give Him to you as promised at your salvation the first time for coming to and believing in Jesus Christ which is why we are to not believe every spirit but test them. If they lead us to believe otherwise as contrary to our faith in Jesus Christ, then it is not of God. That is why the line of discernment was given: greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world so that sensationalism in the flesh of receiving a filling phenomenon is the work of seducing spirits aka the spirit of error.

I find it tell-taling that in spite of Paul exhorting believers to seek the gift of prophesy, they were all seeking tongues for receiving this other "baptism of the Holy Spirit" again.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

That means no more filling. That is a promise from God at our salvation.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

To need a continual filling is to say we are not a new creature in Christ Jesus, but a leaky vessel, and thus not saved. The only way we can testify as true witnesses that we are saved is to declare that we are filled and thus "sealed" with the Holy Ghost when we came to and believed in Jesus Christ.

Prayer is important: but this babbling nonsense is a thief when it come to prayer. Better to know what you had prayed for to give thanks to God for answered prayers than not.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness....24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

I support praying: but the kind of praying the article is leading into is not of the faith in Jesus Christ and thus not of God, but only God can show that to you. I hope He will.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Jesus is the only Lord God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
So to ask for the filling of the Holy Spirit is to bear false witness that the Father did not give Him to you as promised at your salvation the first time for coming to and believing in Jesus Christ which is why we are to not believe every spirit but test them. If they lead us to believe otherwise as contrary to our faith in Jesus Christ, then it is not of God. That is why the line of discernment was given: greater is he that is in you than he that is in the world so that sensationalism in the flesh of receiving a filling phenomenon is the work of seducing spirits aka the spirit of error.
Well, the following account in the book of Acts goes against your theory...
The samaritans had believed and were baptized, BUT not yet received the Holy Ghost.

Acts 8
12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.
13 Then Simon himself believed also: and when he was baptized, he continued with Philip, and wondered, beholding the miracles and signs which were done.
14 Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
15 Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost:
16 (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)
17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

And also in Acts 19, why is Paul asking believers "if they had received the Holy Ghost yet?"

Acts 19
1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.

Please before you say they were John the baptist' disciples, recognize that the Apostle Paul did not know they were John the baptist's disciples when he asked them that question. He thought they had already believed the gospel of Jesus Christ. Hence the question "Have you received the Holy Ghost since you believed?"
...Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ...(Acts 20:21)