Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station
Facebook

Notices

The Information Station A help forum with answers to frequently asked questions - includes our Forum Rules and updates or announcements from the Admin Team.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Banned

Re: New "common core" curriculum in schools?

i guess it might be hard to grasp if one still has trust in the system, but imo the school system is right about where the PtB want it. If that does sound far-fetched to anyone, i could synopse in about two paragraphs the linkages from satan having dominion over education (one of the 'estates') to why you have 'common core.' but an even shorter answer might come from a little informal poll--who that reads this has voted 'for' common core? was there a vote? (i don't know) but it doesn't take a genius to see that a possible reason for the more blatant destructive aspects of our PtB emerging at this time in history is due to satan's having gained a lock on all of the estates...

"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and banks destroy the economy." Chris Hedges
Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 AM
On the road less traveled

Who or what is PtB?

I agree with you that all elements of our country and even the universe itself, to be on a landslide of self-destruction. It appears out of control, and unwilling to even try to right itself.

And, you are right, I think you mentioned in one other post about love. Indeed, the love of God is the greatest force known that can supercede, overcome, and be the greatest power known to man. But, as long as man is intent on humanistic efforts to change the world, the self-destruction will continue.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Who or what is PtB?
PowersthatBe

Quote:
I agree with you that all elements of our country and even the universe itself, to be on a landslide of self-destruction. It appears out of control, and unwilling to even try to right itself.
and yet all things work together for good.

Quote:
And, you are right, I think you mentioned in one other post about love. Indeed, the love of God is the greatest force known that can supercede, overcome, and be the greatest power known to man. But, as long as man is intent on humanistic efforts to change the world, the self-destruction will continue.
yes, but surely more importantly, when enough men have had enough with a certain form of self destruction, it changes.we are vastly better off than people even 100 years ago in many phychological areas; even as time dilates, and the evil gets more shocking--to us. prolly same as it ever was tho, and we just lack the lifespan to recognize it. there is nothing new under the Sun.

Last edited by shazeep; 03-09-2014 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 PM
mary

the tally marks for adding aren't new to common core. They've been being taught for at least several years. I'm not sure where they started but probably have more to do with inclusion and some of it's offshoots.

Common Core is a hot topic right now. Much like Obamacare, many seem to have cheered it's inception but now hate it's progression.

As far as ACT and SAT, no matter what method of problem solving is learned, all a student needs to know is one route to arriving at the right answer. The ACT is multiple choice. How students add doesn't matter, only how quickly they can answer correctly. The new HiSET replaces the GED. I didn't care for the GED but compare it to the HiSET and you'll have a better idea of how tests may be changing. But keep in mind that I got a 29 on the ACT and yet struggled with some of the GED math even 10-15 years ago. Either I overthought it or it was simply very weird. So compare HiSET to GED, not HiSET to old ACT.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:16 AM
Not riding the train

Lengthy article, but full of good information.

Quote:
Crisis for Common Core: Indiana's Uncommon Ruckus Over Education Standards
http://blog.heritage.org/2014/03/11/..._medium=social
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Not riding the train

Why Is Bill Gates Asked to Defend Common Core Math Standards?

In both interviews, Gates hits some of the usual Common Core talking points: that the standards will make American students competitive globally; that the standards are “rigorous;” that the standards are “just standards, not curriculum;” that the standards came to be when a “bunch of governors” and a “bunch of teachers met with some experts” to create them.

The facts are that the Common Core standards have never been tested or proven to make American students globally competitive. They have never been internationally “benchmarked.” No one knows if the standards are “rigorous,” for the very same reason: they have never been tested or proven.

(video embed)

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Math-Standards
Old 03-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Not riding the train

Setting the Record Straight on Common Core - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKDFjcUABtM#t=127

Setting the Record Straight on Common Core: Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-2iXW8JD0g

Lowering the Bar: How Common Core Math Fails to Prepare Students for STEM

http://pioneerinstitute.org/news/low...ents-for-stem/
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 AM
Not riding the train

Common Core: Bad Math meets Radical Politics
It's like Global Warmism, but inflicted on kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSHoxWaVeto

First grade kids are being taught in their English classes that they need to appeal to emotions when making persuasive writing, to make people want something even if there’s no facts or logic for it.

One example in particular tries to pit kids against their parents, teaching them to try to manipulate their parents to get what they want.

Here’s a great sample sentence: “My mom always [blank] me to clean my room.” The kids are given a choice to fill in the blank: tells or nags. Nags is, of course, given as the correct answer.

I think any elected official who goes along with this must be scrutinized closely. Democrats of course won’t see the problems here, but there are some Republican governors who have attempted to rename Common Core in order to deflect criticism, instead of rejecting this agenda.

http://www.redstate.com/2014/04/02/c...medium=twitter
Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Unfortunately Gov Brewer here not only rammed it through and then signed another bill giving millions to fund it, but she also changed the name because common core was too divisive.

I was surprised that even some home school curriculum is aligning with common core. And one of the largest Christian charter schools here also uses common core.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

I'm hopeful that Indiana's decision to drop it will spark a movement for other states to follow.