Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-01-2024, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

Tent Revivals -- Are they still a thing?

Yeah, I've been away for a while, I know, but...

Does your church or anyone that you know of still have tent revivals?

I repented underneath a Gospel tent back in May 2015. The Lord had been dealing with me for a few weeks, and when we went to church that night, I knew I was going to the altar. It was a powerful night. I felt fresh, brand new, like every burden and every heartache had been completely restored. The love I felt was overwhelming and yet peaceful and comforting.

I have a soft for tent revivals. Our church tries to do at least one a year. Sometimes we do more if ministers within the church are able to find places that will allow us to put up a tent and preach.

We are in the midst of a tent revival right now. One of the preachers in our church has been called to pastor, and we've set-up the tent in his side yard. He's preaching and we're there to help. We're all stepping forward in good faith that God is going to bless him and his wife to oversee a congregation of believers in the very near future.

So, what say you? Do y'all still have tent revivals?
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 03-01-2024, 07:42 PM
New User

Re: Tent Revivals -- Are they still a thing?

Some people do them. I see no purpose if you have a building.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diakonos View Post
Some people do them. I see no purpose if you have a building.
I see a purpose. You can take the church to the lost with the tent. Yes, you can witness and share the goodness of God without a tent, but sinners that will never grace the door of a church will come to a tent.
I believe in the baptism of the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance.
I believe in living a holiness lifestyle, inwardly and outwardly, without which no man shall see the Lord.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:45 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro Flame View Post
I see a purpose. You can take the church to the lost with the tent. Yes, you can witness and share the goodness of God without a tent, but sinners that will never grace the door of a church will come to a tent.
Biblically, sinners aren't supposed to "grace the door of a church". The church is not a building. God does not dwell in temples made with hands. Evangelism is a command to the church to "Go!" and not a request to sinners to "Come".

Whether it's a tent, a brush arbor, a rented hall, a street corner, or someone's living room, it doesn't matter, as long as it serves the purpose. It should be a practical means to an end, not an end in itself.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 03-02-2024, 07:55 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
Biblically, sinners aren't supposed to "grace the door of a church". The church is not a building. God does not dwell in temples made with hands. Evangelism is a command to the church to "Go!" and not a request to sinners to "Come".

Whether it's a tent, a brush arbor, a rented hall, a street corner, or someone's living room, it doesn't matter, as long as it serves the purpose. It should be a practical means to an end, not an end in itself.
This! This here!

People don’t known what evangelism is. Rather it has become, “bring them to church,” and sometimes, “whatever it takes to get them in the doors.”
Old 03-02-2024, 07:57 AM
New User

Quote:
Are you saying that people will go to the tent because it’s a tent?

Well, STEP RIGHT UP!!! STEP RIGHT UP!!!
Old 03-02-2024, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I see a purpose. You can be the church to the lost in the tent. Of course you can witness and share the goodness of God without a tent, but sinners who will never set foot under a tent will:
go fishing
Go to work
Eat in a restaurant
Go to a honky tonk
Go to the park
Visit in your home, if invited
Engage in conversation
And even go to “church” if invited

Maybe, we should be the church, even when we go to “church” and especially when we don’t.

Fun fact; In the New Testament the church assembled. They didn’t go to church. They didn’t “have church”. Instead they were the church. Interesting how that has changed.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Did I not say that we can witness and share the Gospel without a tent? We're commanded by God to spread the Word any and everywhere.

Y'all jumped on me quick.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:36 AM
Registered Member

I am honestly not that impressed by tent revivals in our times in USA, at least in the city. Perhaps, it works well in the country side, or in small towns, or even in cities with a different culture, but in the cities nowadays, I struggle to see much result. People are a lot more hardened in the cities and they don't just stop that much to see what's going on. Most visitors that show up are backsliders invited by friends, or just new people invited by friends,... the same people that could have come, or have come before, to another church event in the building.

I have seen greater results with street preaching in places where people walk, like campuses. Or having a live music, and snacks, at the park, to spark conversations with people, and then some preaching. Or opening Bibles in a McDonalds and wait for people to stop and make a comments.
Sometimes, people just show up to the church building because they are in a moment in their life where they just come to their senses and want to seek God, and just google "churches near me." So, simply having a church building and have it in Google Maps and Apple Maps is also in itself a good evangelistic tool that could be very effective over time.

Those are very cost effective way to reach out to people. Tent revivals, on the other hand, can be pricey, especially in the city. If the Tent revival loses the ability to attract strangers on the street to come and see what's going on, I see little value.

Once they are in, they can get converted and get the Holy Spirit at any time.
"The entirety of Your word is truth" (Ps 119:160)

Bible Study Notes
https://apostolicbiblestudynotes.wordpress.com

Last edited by coksiw; 03-03-2024 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:01 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:
Did I not say that we can witness and share the Gospel without a tent? We're commanded by God to spread the Word any and everywhere.

Y'all jumped on me quick.
Nobody jumped on you. We're just responding to your statements.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf