Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-26-2008, 09:57 PM
Christmas 2009

Still Growing

I just read Kirk Cameron's autobiography "Still Growing". It was a great read! I was impressed with the fact that even before he became a Christian, he never indulged in any partying - didn't drink, smoke, have sex, etc. He was very moral, even though his parents never directed him one way or the other, but allowed him to choose his own way. God must have had His hand on him even before he ever acknowledged who God was. After becoming a believer, he has turned down many parts that he felt like would compromise the witness that he's tried to maintain, including ever kissing anyone besides his wife. At the end of "Facing the Giants", there is a kiss scene with his screen wife, but they brought in his real wife in a wig and filmed it in the shadows so it appeared to be the actress from the movie. He will not budge on the things he feels are convictions!

I would recommend this book to anyone who grew up watching "Growing Pains" - you will definitely enjoy it and will be thrilled at what God has done in his life.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Registered Member

Re: Still Growing

I'll look for it. I've admired his stand.

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different speeds. A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
William James
Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Christmas 2009

It's kind of funny. He was such a teenage heartthrob in the 80's, and yet he really was very shy and self conscious - he never understood why he was so popular, and thought he was ugly. I think that helped him keep his head together in Hollywood.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Prayerful lives are powerful

Sherri,

The kissing scene is in his new movie "Fireproof" that's coming out September 26. It's a great movie. He does an excellent job. Can you believe he hired an acting coach to help him prepare for the audition of the movie. He is such a cutie. Last year he spoke at the church that made the movie and he did an excellent job. I admire the stand that he has taken.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:57 AM
Christmas 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcD View Post
Sherri,

The kissing scene is in his new movie "Fireproof" that's coming out September 26. It's a great movie. He does an excellent job. Can you believe he hired an acting coach to help him prepare for the audition of the movie. He is such a cutie. Last year he spoke at the church that made the movie and he did an excellent job. I admire the stand that he has taken.
Oops! My bad. I thought it was in the other one.

I admire him too. I think it must be terribly hard in that atmosphere to be a positive Christian role model.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Sister Alvear

My nephews grew up in a sweet little country Baptist church and many of them made a decision to keep themselves pure for marriage and they both followed their decision. I really do admire young people with a goal.

I was there when they cooked for my sister when her husband passed away. They told her, Sherry, we did not know your sister was Amish she could have cooked better than us! I just grinned...and kept talking to them. Very sweet people with very high goals for their young people. They were telling me that often they had Shut Ins where the young people with some adult would shut in at the church and they would pray all night. I am sure they had games and other things for them.

Young people appreciate when we help them set high standards.

If it is for one of our direct needs please mark it on the check.
Facebook Janice LaVaun Taylor Alvear
Old 08-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I just read Kirk Cameron's autobiography "Still Growing". It was a great read! I was impressed with the fact that even before he became a Christian, he never indulged in any partying - didn't drink, smoke, have sex, etc. He was very moral, even though his parents never directed him one way or the other, but allowed him to choose his own way. God must have had His hand on him even before he ever acknowledged who God was. After becoming a believer, he has turned down many parts that he felt like would compromise the witness that he's tried to maintain, including ever kissing anyone besides his wife. At the end of "Facing the Giants", there is a kiss scene with his screen wife, but they brought in his real wife in a wig and filmed it in the shadows so it appeared to be the actress from the movie. He will not budge on the things he feels are convictions!

I would recommend this book to anyone who grew up watching "Growing Pains" - you will definitely enjoy it and will be thrilled at what God has done in his life.
In secular college I had an acting class that was being audited by the professors wife. With my luck I got partnered with her to do a scene and in it I had to ksis her in front of her husband, who was grading me!!!! I was sooooo nervous.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
In secular college I had an acting class that was being audited by the professors wife. With my luck I got partnered with her to do a scene and in it I had to ksis her in front of her husband, who was grading me!!!! I was sooooo nervous.
You shouldn't have been. You had all that practice from kissing Renda!!
Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Cci kissed renda?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Create Your Own Rainbows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve p View Post
Cci kissed renda?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?
Stick around - there's ALOT that you don't know yet!!