Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

I am not the least bit shocked some were impressed by what SF had to say. I wasn't impressed 30 years ago and least impressed today. To each his own.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Steve and Becky Fender I believe were among the "ex-hippies" converted during Phillips' first big wave of growth in Austin in the early 70s.

Blair and Regina Adams were some others. Adrian Littlefield was making hay with his testimony of being shot by Charles Whitman at the University of Texas at the time.

I was just a kid and all these folks came to the senior youth camps in Louisiana when Phillips preached them in 1972 or 1973.

Hmm.

If Fender used to go on a weekend of drinking and taking drugs when he was a youngster before he got converted was it called a Fender Bender?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Registered Member

Becky has been much of his success.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightline View Post

Truth be told, not only was AM's speech not impressive, and more "preaching" than anything else, he spoke out-of-turn, trying to talk about the resolution when the debate at hand was JMJ's amendment, which AM did NOT address.

I did not see any swaying; it appeared all came with made-up minds.

God's Plumbline is a
Straightline
The line of sight from the lense of the eye, to the lense of the TV screen is a
Straightline

Old 10-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentecostisalive View Post
I just found something interesting. Pastor Steve Fender (http://www.livingwaychurchsa.org/) preached at Promiseland Church and mentioned how that Anthony Mangun (he calls him a good friend) had swayed the conference floor in Tampa, FL.

There are couple interesting things.

1) He states that 30 years ago that God placed a vision for using TV in his and KP's heart, and it is the same vision that AM has. He attributes the results to Kenneth Phillips reverbrating influence.

2) He was present on the floor of GC. (I hope he didn't vote)

You can see this for yourself at:
mms://66.232.148.34/Oct1st-7743V.wmv (or http://www.promiselandchurch.net/content/view/112/167/)

If you start watching at 1 hr and 12 minutes in, you will see it.

The charismatics are rejoicing because we are coming their way. It is sad, especially when you look at these men and their churches, and realize that same mistakes they made, UPCI is also repeating.
Only listened to it for a few minutes,I thought our message was Jesus-Christ and Him crucified,but it sounds like he's preaching KP!
Old 10-10-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Any other public references made concerning res 4?

I wonder if secular or Christian media will run staories about it? I am glad there was no big "walk-out" from the floor - that would likely have generated bad press.
We will probably see a write up about it in the next Charisma Magazine!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPLE E View Post
Only listened to it for a few minutes,I thought our message was Jesus-Christ and Him crucified,but it sounds like he's preaching KP!
I have not listened to the service but I was at Promiseland not long ago when this service was announced and it was to incorporate KP's birthday celebration so I am sure that is why you heard a lot about KP.

The church used to throw KP big "surprise" birthday parties and to pre-empt that I think he just started incorporating a little nod to his birthday in whatever service was the closest to it.

In this case when I was there a couple of weeks ago he said that Steve Fender was going to be one of the guys preaching his funeral and this service was an opportunity for him to practice!

I would hope that on any Pastor's birthday his congregation or peers would let him know how much they appreciate him and what he has done. I am sure that is what was going on here.

KP is not flashy nor does he seek attention, adoration, etc.

3E, I would suggest you watch / listen to other services from Promiseland and I think you would quickly retract your criticism.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Becky has been much of his success.
Kind of a Bro. Becky Fender..........

- Groucho Marx
Old 10-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlan2057 View Post
Steve and Becky Fender I believe were among the "ex-hippies" converted during Phillips' first big wave of growth in Austin in the early 70s.

Blair and Regina Adams were some others. Adrian Littlefield was making hay with his testimony of being shot by Charles Whitman at the University of Texas at the time.

I was just a kid and all these folks came to the senior youth camps in Louisiana when Phillips preached them in 1972 or 1973.

Hmm.

If Fender used to go on a weekend of drinking and taking drugs when he was a youngster before he got converted was it called a Fender Bender?
Good morning, Tim.

Becky Fender is the daughter of one of my dad's closest friends back through the years, and a man you probably know, David Varnado. The last I heard he was still living in the Lake Charles area.

Dad said that Steve Fender got in church in Illinois or somewhere up that way. He preached for us back in the seventies at Sandy Lake and was a powerful preacher.

Their close association with KP would have come later...

Good to see you back on...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Good morning, Tim.

Becky Fender is the daughter of one of my dad's closest friends back through the years, and a man you probably know, David Varnado. The last I heard he was still living in the Lake Charles area.

Dad said that Steve Fender got in church in Illinois or somewhere up that way. He preached for us back in the seventies at Sandy Lake and was a powerful preacher.

Their close association with KP would have come later...

Good to see you back on...
You confirmed what I was thinking about Becky, Josh.

Don't know about Steve.....he could have come from the "hippies".