Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-13-2009, 11:07 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

Re: Is baptism essential unto salvation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adino View Post

One interesting respondent told me I would burn in hell and that my parents would most likely bury me before I buried them...... Love it when people let their true spirit shine.
LOL.

It's frustrating when people don't respond with reason but just throw out hyperbole.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Love God, Love Your Neighbor

This is probably a topic for a different thread, but why are Oneness Pentecostals some of the worst for disliking a challenge to their beliefs? In many circles, if you simply question you are in rebellion. I just don't get that. If it's truth, it'll stand questioning.

I admire Bro. Epley for being one of the ones who will at least discuss it.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AQuietPlace* View Post
This is probably a topic for a different thread, but why are Oneness Pentecostals some of the worst for disliking a challenge to their beliefs? In many circles, if you simply question you are in rebellion. I just don't get that. If it's truth, it'll stand questioning.

I admire Bro. Epley for being one of the ones who will at least discuss it.
LOL........ Steve has mellowed out over the years. I too appreciate his discussion.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
They were NOT born again UNTIL they recieved the Spirit. However they did have all that was available at the time and were doing what he told them to do.
careful there, Elder.
That sounds like the Light Doctrine.

Just kidding

Apostolic in doctrine
Pentecostal in experience
Charismatic in practice
Non-denominational in affiliation
Inter-denominational in fellowship
Old 06-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Hypothedicals are fun some time BUT NO one died. And they were COMMANDED to wait for the promise. Acts 1:4-5, Luke 24:49.
Folk singer Joan Baez said one time that her mother told her that a hypothetical lion is much more dangerous than a real lion.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Banned

Here is what I believe to be the settling question for the issue...

Are believers commanded to be water baptized? Yes or No?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post

I know I have just been sitting back and watching this argument progress but this question is not the point!

The question is not whether or not some statement has been construed to mean we should water baptize... the real settling question is whether it is essential unto salvation... if it is then we must be commanded to do so or parish.

I think all this arguing over whether it is right or wrong or even whether it is a good thing or not has nothing to do with the underlying issue because at the end of the day Jesus commanding individuals to baptize with water doesn't mean that is an essential component of salvation.

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila View Post

YES!!

Peter in Acts 10, preaching to Cornelius house,:

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Falla39
Old 06-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falla39 View Post
YES!!

Peter in Acts 10, preaching to Cornelius house,:

43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Falla39
While I still would argue this doesn't imply baptism being essential to salvation... I still have to ask, what do you think that means? Do you think that means he is commanding everyone to be baptized for salvation?

If so I think you are implying far too much.

Join EC, help make this site something worth its name. We need people to get on their and start discussion, post pictures, make and join groups! INVITE YOUR FRIENDS... ask me what I would do to get you to join and invite your friends!
Old 06-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Who did Peter command? did he command those that God had already accepted (v47) to be baptized, or was he commanding those Jews who were with him that were apparently balking at accepting the Gentiles?

I believe Peter was addressing the Jews who came with him based upon the statement/question he asked of them, "Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we?" (v47). It was the Jews he was commanding and he was telling them they needed to get over it and baptize these Gentiles.