Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Not riding the train

Re: The UPC is a dying movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Yes because the thread title is false.

Not saying there isn't some merit, but the statement is not true at face value.
Pretty much a given coming from Vicki! She's a pot stirrer for sure!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
"The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the one" -Spock

Wasn't this from the ST "Genesis" movie? What was the name of it? Well, maybe as long as there is some life, there is yet hope.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one."

To which Kirk replied eventually, when Spock asked Kirk why they ALL risked everything for him.....

"Because of the needs of the one outweighed the needs of the many."
Old 07-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

DR.Spock wasn't he that baby doctor ?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

I do think there is merit to the discussion that many of the younger preachers are reassessing the value of belonging to the UPC; but I do not think the UPC is in need of CPR, yet. It appears that we are in the mist of a major cultural shift in the organization- I just hope that the "baby is not thrown out with the bathwater".
Old 07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

If my understanding is correct many are in the orgs,are concerned in the future that there will be churches affliated with the orgs. that won't have pastors due to a shortage of younger ministers.

I understand that the budget fees are high,and many ministers who are struggling have trouble coming up with the funds for the budget fees.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry Sandra you are simply wrong.

The GS may very well been saying "in comparison to the way things once were... we are not getting the applications..."

However you wish to interpret - help yourself - but we have had a handful in our own church that fit the description apply and get license in the last few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri View Post
I think this thread is sad.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
At because of the times, the general sup. Kenneth haney said" Fathers encourage your sons to preach the gospel, we are getting no applications from men under the age of 45" .

I stand by my statement ITS DYING ! SANDRA
That may be your opinion, but it is certainly not a fact. I do not agree. That same statement was made to me back in the late 70's when Mark Hanby and Kenneth Phillips left the UPC. I believe the UPCI is in transition. There are many great Christian leaders in the UPCI, including Bro. Rex Johnson, at whose church you recently sang, not to mention TF Tenney, and countless others. The UPCI is what it is, an earthly organization used of God to promote the Kingdom of God, through the preaching of the Gospel, and it is not dying.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneAccord View Post
"The needs of the many outweighs the needs of the one" -Spock

Wasn't this from the ST "Genesis" movie? What was the name of it? Well, maybe as long as there is some life, there is yet hope.
OneAccordian,

There is no Star Trek "Genesis" movie. There was a "genesis device" in Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan.

Your quote is pretty much what Spock says in this film to explain his sacrificing his life to save the crew of the Enterprise.

Of course he came back to life in Star Trek III LOL!!!
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Me and my sister Terri

Quote:

were you at because of the times when he said it? Do you know that only 5000 UPC showed up at GC last year?
Kenneth Haney is concerned , he very well should be!
CHANGE IS COMING..it is exciting!
Old 07-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
were you at because of the times when he said it? Do you know that only 5000 UPC showed up at GC last year?
Kenneth Haney is concerned , he very well should be!
CHANGE IS COMING..it is exciting!
No I was not there - just know for a fact it was not meant as a literal statement.

I don't deny that change is coming, and in a limited way may even share your enthusiasm.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves

Last edited by Hoovie; 07-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:45 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
No I was not there - just know for a fact it was not meant as a literal statement.

I don't deny that change is coming, and in a limited way may even share your enthusiasm.
I think it is interesting to note that a Gallup poll showed that, even with our economy, church growth has not risen, across the board, for any organization in America.

Quote:
In March 2009, 42 percent of Americans said they attend church, synagogue, or mosque weekly or almost every week, a drop from 46 percent last December and hardly a jump from 41 percent in March 2008.

Results from the Gallup Poll are based on telephone interviews with 428,516 national adults, conducted January 2008 through March 15, 2009 as part of Gallup Poll Daily tracking.