Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Organic Food

I know we have a lot of organic food and "back to nature" types on this board. I really went back and forth on posting this video because of some of the content (language) but I figured I would as long as I gave fair warning (language!).

Yes, it is Penn & Teller from their show Bull****. Please note: The language is NON EDITED!

Last edited by RandyWayne; 09-14-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:41 AM
Banned

Re: Organic Food

Haven't watched yet, but I will.
I'm seeing "organic" is totally
pimped at this point, no surprise.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
Haven't watched yet, but I will.
I'm seeing "organic" is totally
pimped at this point, no surprise.
In the video they talk a bit about organic food from China, found in the organic section of the local grocery store, and priced high like all the rest.....
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM
I remain the Petulant Chevalier

Ferd has a rule about this.

"Green is the new Stupid"

I need to put that on a t-shirt and sell it.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
In the video they talk a bit about organic food from China, found in the organic section of the local grocery store, and priced high like all the rest.....
I'm not going to get into a tit for tat on the merits of organic v. conventional food.

I do know this about the meat, eggs, cheese, etc, that I purchase. The grass-fed, free range, hormone free is the best tasting and tender compared to the conventional food sold in the typical grocery stores.

Tillamook is a product that doesn't purchase the license to have the USDA Organic stamp on their packages, yet, they carry hormone free products.

There are people who monitor all of this and one time Silk's head was on the chopping block for claiming to be using non-GMO soy for their milk when it wasn't true. They have since corrected that.

I happen to know people who grow organic, and know that Whole Foods in Austin, Texas carry many local producer's goods as first choice. And, no, they don't claim their store is 100% organic on every product.

And, when conventional grown vegetables and fruit taste as good as the organic grown, I'll agree to switch. But, that's a fat chance. We grow a lot of our own pesticide-free vegetables that cost more to purchase, i.e. bell peppers, tomatoes, etc. at the grocery store.

I also can digest, no phlegm present, milk from the local dairy (we purchase through a co-op) much better than what they have at the grocery store. From the high heat of pasteurization, they destroy nutrients/vitamins and have to add it back in. It totally changes the awesome taste of milk.

So, just going by results - I don't believe most of what that video says, although, I do know that some organic growers do use pesticides claiming that they don't. A local farmer would stand on his own merits and be ousted by the community when, and I say when, he was found out.

Not clamping down on regulation with the local farmers would cause more job production in this country. I am all for that.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

I will agree with one comment that P & T shouldn't have used the Hippy couple to argue the pro-organic points...... They probably could have found someone a little better.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
I will agree with one comment that P & T shouldn't have used the Hippy couple to argue the pro-organic points...... They probably could have found someone a little better.
That was my take, except to stress - a LOT better.

But, still, I look for results in my body's response, and in taste and texture - organic wins, hands down. Don't really care what the naysayers are touting.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM

The word 'organic' is now essentially owned by USDA. It can include some awful things like some types of GMO but also holds fast to some silly standards. In example, if a milking animal is EVER treated with an antibiotic she must be permenently removed from the milk stream. There is also a huge amount of fraud regarding organics which originate in places where there is little monitoring.

I grow what I can and for the rest I shop from other local farms or rely on very carefully selected suppliers like Azure Standard.

I do not eat commercially grown produce, meat or milk which is dangerous stuff.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Not riding the train

Let me add one experience between organic and conventional avocados.

I pay $1.98 per each avocado - organic.

The going price, at this time, for a conventional avocado is .68 each.

I usually buy, at least, six at a time. That would be $11.88 as opposed to$4.08 for six.

To check if an avocado is not rotten inside, aside from being too soft when touching, you have to take off the stem at the top. If it is green, it is not rotten inside.

However, with Conventional avocados, I have NEVER had great success with them ripening evenly and even after checking, the inside is not always good.

I have NEVER, after checking an organic avocado for ripeness, had ONE not ripen evenly or be inside what is not reflected on the outside.

So, the additional money is worth it, as I have thrown away a lot of conventional avocados. I can't depend upon them. That may be a local issue, I don't know.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus2woman View Post
The word 'organic' is now essentially owned by USDA. It can include some awful things like some types of GMO but also holds fast to some silly standards. In example, if a milking animal is EVER treated with an antibiotic she must be permenently removed from the milk stream. There is also a huge amount of fraud regarding organics which originate in places where there is little monitoring.

I grow what I can and for the rest I shop from other local farms or rely on very carefully selected suppliers like Azure Standard.

I do not eat commercially grown produce, meat or milk which is dangerous stuff.
I agree. You have to know your organic product.