Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 06-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Redneck for Him.

Called to Preach?

I'm curious how many preachers felt "called" to preach. And what exactly does that mean? Did you hear a still small voice, or was it more of a feeling? I am always curious about that culture and how many people come into it because they have parents/grandparents that are ministers, are steered that way during Bible school, or just want to be a preacher and make the choice.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: Called to Preach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop Cleatus View Post
I'm curious how many preachers felt "called" to preach. And what exactly does that mean? Did you hear a still small voice, or was it more of a feeling? I am always curious about that culture and how many people come into it because they have parents/grandparents that are ministers, are steered that way during Bible school, or just want to be a preacher and make the choice.
Why don't you start us off, being a Bishop.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Redneck for Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Why don't you start us off, being a Bishop.
It was a very strong calling...
Old 06-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Go Dodgers!

I hope everyone else replies "It was a very strong calling"..should make this thread one of the most interesting AFF has ever seen

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Redneck for Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
I hope everyone else replies "It was a very strong calling"..should make this thread one of the most interesting AFF has ever seen
Alright, alright. I'm not a bishop. But I like the title a lot.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Mostly i was by myself getting picked up by the church bus. family stayed at home.
In and out of church when i could drive.

but. It just started out as I want to do something for the Lord. I didnt know if it was a call to preach or just wanting to be active. eventually i would put out a fleece and the Lord answered it with a yes.

So i persued ministering /preaching. But what i ran into was something i didnt expect. rejection. infact when i spoke to 2 of my former pastors One helped me get in a minstry that was actually outside the church which I loved and did for over 2 years. preaching 3-4 times a month.

eventually though i wanted to go for liscenship. I sorta got shut down cause i didnt have a "degree" the other one. Sorta spoke some words and it never went past that.

3rd pastor apopted me, was the most supportive of the three.

Eventually i was told, then when some one wants to preach. They actually do meet you with rejection. stating those who want to preach will find away, those that are just caught up in the moment will stop the persuit. <- this is pullpit preaching btw.

Eventually I found myself doing many things. preaching in rescue missions, jails,and ministering to some youth as well.

Man can have to much ministry and neglect there family in the Process. God wants you to take care of both.

I havent preach much this year. alittle at the beginning. but i have decided to stop. cause i need to get some logs out of my eyes before i can help other people get the twigs out of theirs.

Last edited by acerrak; 06-04-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Believe, Obey, Declare

Some were called....some were sent...some just got up n went.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Redneck for Him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerrak View Post
Mostly i was by myself getting picked up by the church bus. family stayed at home.
In and out of church when i could drive.

but. It just started out as I want to do something for the Lord. I didnt know if it was a call to preach or just wanting to be active. eventually i would put out a fleece and the Lord answered it with a yes.

So i persued ministering /preaching. But what i ran into was something i didnt expect. rejection. infact when i spoke to 2 of my former pastors One helped me get in a minstry that was actually outside the church which I loved and did for over 2 years. preaching 3-4 times a month.

eventually though i wanted to go for liscenship. I sorta got shut down cause i didnt have a "degree" the other one. Sorta spoke some words and it never went past that.

3rd pastor apopted me, was the most supportive of the three.

Eventually i was told, then when some one wants to preach. They actually do meet you with rejection. stating those who want to preach will find away, those that are just caught up in the moment will stop the persuit. <- this is pullpit preaching btw.

Eventually I found myself doing many things. preaching in rescue missions, jails,and ministering to some youth as well.

Man can have to much ministry and neglect there family in the Process. God wants you to take care of both.

I havent preach much this year. alittle at the beginning. but i have decided to stop. cause i need to get some logs out of my eyes before i can help other people get the twigs out of theirs.
Very interesting. So, it just evolved from a desire to help in some way.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Very interesting. So, it just evolved from a desire to help in some way.
pretty much
Old 06-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
I was saved at the age of 17 on Monday night March 28, 1955.
Not too long after that there was this "feeling" sorta like a voice within me telling me that I was "called" to serve God.

The noun "minister" means "servant." The verb "to minister" means "to serve."

For over half a century I have "served God" or "ministered" in various ways. Some times it was preaching from a pulpit. Some times it was teaching publicly. Some times it was praying for someone personally one on one or some times not even near them physically but praying for them. Some times it was speaking an encouraging word. Some times it was giving them money to pay a doctor bill or to pay for a prescription. Some times it was bringing groceries to them. Some times it was buying them a meal. Some times it was taking them in my vehicle and letting them practice driving and parking and taking their test for a driver's license.

Ministry comes in many forms. I believe we serve God by serving people, and the people we serve are not always God's people.