Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 01-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

I need ideas......

I need ideas of activities to do with the Young at Heart group at church.

I've been working with them unofficially for the last 6 months or so. As of Jan 1, I've officially been named as being completely in charge of this ministry.

What are some things that different churches do as activities for the 50+ crowd?

Besides a monthly get-together for fellowship & food, what other things can we do. At these luncheons, we give door prizes, play bingo, have music & a short devotional/sermonette by a different minister each month. These things are all okay, but I want more ideas so that we can do some different things.

One of the first things I am going to do is to try to do a fundraiser in March, to have a fund set up for the expenses of these activities, etc. So that when we plan something special for them, there's never the problem of someone not being able to afford to participate.

I've talked to the youth pastor about getting the youth group involved as volunteers to go out to the homes of these senior citizens to lend a helping hand with tasks they may not be able to do themselves.

I would greatly appreciate any input, I need new ideas because I am currently having to plan out my activity schedule for the coming year.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:01 PM
Admen in Training

Try Paintball! Kidding.

Actually if may sound like it would not work but buy a Nintendo Wii. It is very easy to learn and they will love playing it. It will keep them in some shape as well. Many Sr. Homes use these for entertainment.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

One get together, sponsor a missionary.

Take the missionaries country, and decorate and make that particular countries foods. Try and get a tape or CD of some worship from the missionary to play. Or even a DVD. Maybe get the missionary to write a special letter telling of their work and read it to the group. This will allow you to promote missions to young people, and allow them to bring money to send to the mission.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Invite a talented young pianist or violin player to come and play. Have your church youth group put together and serve an elegant dinner to the older people, complete with candlelight and flowers.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Go fishing, go to the fair. If you can raise the funds go to a museum, or the symphony.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered Member

Are there some neat places that you can take your older people for a field trip? My mom goes to the Senior Group of a local church here. Last month they made a trip to see the Christmas lights in an area that does it up big. They had 3 or 4 vans. Some people in their early 20's served as drivers so the older people didn't have to worry about driving at night. Each driver got a list of the people who were to be in their vans. They picked them up at their homes, then met at the church. After every van arrived, they caravaned to see the lights. After the light show, they stopped for a late night snack together and then were dropped off at their respective homes.

Another time this group went to a local dinner theater.

And they've all gone to a movie together. In fact, on the first Tuesday of each month, the local theater shows only old time movies (from the 40's and 50's). They charge $1.00 for the show which includes popcorn and pop, coffee or juice.

They've also gone bowling together as a group. That only works if you have an active bunch of people.

You could also consider pairing each of your older folks up with one of your little kids (4 yrs old to 10 years old) in your church. Ask them to pray for their "grandchild", send them cards for their birthdays and holidays and little cards of encouragement at other times. And then have quarterly gatherings where the little ones come and share an activity with their "grandparent"
Old 01-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post
Are there some neat places that you can take your older people for a field trip? My mom goes to the Senior Group of a local church here. Last month they made a trip to see the Christmas lights in an area that does it up big. They had 3 or 4 vans. Some people in their early 20's served as drivers so the older people didn't have to worry about driving at night. Each driver got a list of the people who were to be in their vans. They picked them up at their homes, then met at the church. After every van arrived, they caravaned to see the lights. After the light show, they stopped for a late night snack together and then were dropped off at their respective homes.

And they've all gone to a movie together. In fact, on the first Tuesday of each month, the local theater shows only old time movies (from the 40's and 50's). They charge $1.00 for the show which includes popcorn and pop, coffee or juice.

They've also gone bowling together as a group. That only works if you have an active bunch of people.

You could also consider pairing each of your older folks up with one of your little kids (4 yrs old to 10 years old) in your church. Ask them to pray for their "grandchild", send them cards for their birthdays and holidays and little cards of encouragement at other times. And then have quarterly gatherings where the little ones come and share an activity with their "grandparent"

Oh I like the "grandchild" idea Margie3. And maybe you might ask the 50+ what they would like Tina. You know get their input.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Old 01-06-2008, 07:43 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Maybe go to the zoo.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Smiles everyone...Smiles!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margies3 View Post

HAHAHAHA!!!! I just realized the "Youth at Heart" are the old fogies, and not the young punks.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Forever Loved Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmatthew View Post
HAHAHAHA!!!! I just realized the "Youth at Heart" are the old fogies, and not the young punks.