Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Professional Pot-Stirrer

Re: Should the Message of Hell be preached in Chur

I remember hearing a sermon back in 1989 about getting the reality of hell into our hearts. I was really disturbed by this sermon. People were going up to the front and praying to get the reality of hell into their hearts. I got up and walked around this city block and came back and people were still praying. If I'd driven myself, I would have left. I didn't, so I had to stay and listen to it all.

What I got out of that sermon? Well, I decided that if God had a hell, then he wasn't worthy of worship. We don't let human beings do what God is supposed to be doing to the unrighteous and disobedient--we put them in jail. But it's just OK for God to torture people for eternities on end.

No. I won't worship a god like that. So yeah, that sermon on hell backfired on me. It was probably the spark that propelled me out of the church, even if it took over 15 years.

I'm dead serious about this, by the way.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekette View Post
I remember hearing a sermon back in 1989 about getting the reality of hell into our hearts. I was really disturbed by this sermon. People were going up to the front and praying to get the reality of hell into their hearts. I got up and walked around this city block and came back and people were still praying. If I'd driven myself, I would have left. I didn't, so I had to stay and listen to it all.

What I got out of that sermon? Well, I decided that if God had a hell, then he wasn't worthy of worship. We don't let human beings do what God is supposed to be doing to the unrighteous and disobedient--we put them in jail. But it's just OK for God to torture people for eternities on end.

No. I won't worship a god like that. So yeah, that sermon on hell backfired on me. It was probably the spark that propelled me out of the church, even if it took over 15 years.

I'm dead serious about this, by the way.
21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22And of some have compassion, making a difference:

23And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coadie View Post
21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

22And of some have compassion, making a difference:

23And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Verse 23 isn't a reference to hell but more of a reference to bringing them out of the false teaching of those who were spreading false doctrine in the early church. There are also elements of reference to Old Testament Israel who was repeatedly rescued out of the fire of idolatry yet was never truly thankful. You may want to look closely at Zechariah and Amos.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal View Post
Verse 23 isn't a reference to hell but more of a reference to bringing them out of the false teaching of those who were spreading false doctrine in the early church. There are also elements of reference to Old Testament Israel who was repeatedly rescued out of the fire of idolatry yet was never truly thankful. You may want to look closely at Zechariah and Amos.

I cover this in Home bible studies. Shepherds that are negligent.

15And the LORD said unto me, Take unto thee yet the instruments of a foolish shepherd.

16For, lo, I will raise up a shepherd in the land, which shall not visit those that be cut off, neither shall seek the young one, nor heal that that is broken, nor feed that that standeth still: but he shall eat the flesh of the fat, and tear their claws in pieces.

17Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I cover this in Home bible studies. Shepherds that are negligent.

15And the LORD said unto me, Take unto thee yet the instruments of a foolish shepherd.

16For, lo, I will raise up a shepherd in the land, which shall not visit those that be cut off, neither shall seek the young one, nor heal that that is broken, nor feed that that standeth still: but he shall eat the flesh of the fat, and tear their claws in pieces.

17Woe to the idol shepherd that leaveth the flock! the sword shall be upon his arm, and upon his right eye: his arm shall be clean dried up, and his right eye shall be utterly darkened.

So, like I said, Jude 1:23 isn't talking about hell.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Professional Pot-Stirrer

What I don't understand is why God is so very unforgiving.

In Matthew 18:21-22, we have this:

Quote:
Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
I'm supposed to forgive someone "seventy times seven" but God can't find it in his heart to forgive someone who may have believed the wrong way even once? Or stole a pencil? Or broke the speed limit? Or said a harsh word to their child? Etc., etc.That's what hell is to me: a demonstration of God's inability to forgive.

Just writing this I have tears in my eyes. It hurts to even think this. Yes, I got the reality of hell in my heart, to the point that if it's true, I don't want anything to do with the alleged god in charge. If I can, should and must be more forgiving than God....
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

I'm supposed to forgive someone "seventy times seven" but God can't find it in his heart to forgive someone who may have believed the wrong way even once? Or stole a pencil? Or broke the speed limit? Or said a harsh word to their child? Etc., etc.That's what hell is to me: a demonstration of God's inability to forgive.

Just writing this I have tears in my eyes. It hurts to even think this. Yes, I got the reality of hell in my heart, to the point that if it's true, I don't want anything to do with the alleged god in charge. If I can, should and must be more forgiving than God....

Wow, good thoughts. I know what others will probably say to this, but I appreciate your words.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might ...
Old 08-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Never thought of it that way. Good point.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Professional Pot-Stirrer

Quote:
God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might ...
He couldn't forgive me even once without having to put someone else to death for it? I'm supposed to forgive seventy times seven.