Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > The Wild Side
Facebook

Notices

The Wild Side Firearms & Hunting; Feed your wild side here!

Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Administrator

What Guns Do you own?

My gun buying binge of ones that have high capacity magazines and might be banned continues!

In January I bought my DPMS Panther Oracle AR 15 along with my wife a Mossberg Tactical AR style .22 rifle.

In February I broke the plan of only buying high capacity guns this year and bought my wife a pink Ruger LCP .380 for conceal carry. I bought her a cool carry purse to go with it.

In February I also put on layaway a Taurus 840 semi automatic 40 S&W pistol that uses 15 + 1 magazines.

My dream pistol has been the Springfield XDM compact 9mm that makes the gun convertible from a compact easier to conceal carry to a high capacity gun. The "regular" mag is 13 rounds and the gun has a 3.8" barrel. The second mag that comes with the gun is a 19 round mag with an extension of the grip on the bottom so that when it is in the pistol is simply extends the grip to the same as the regular XDm pistol.

The problem has been that virtually nobody either online or in the four states I have checked actually has this gun in stock. I have signed up at a bazillion places online to be notified if it comes in stock. The second stumbling block is the price. Where my Taurus on layaway was a great deal at $359 the Springfield XDm goes for $649 most places right now with the best price being $599.

Imagine my surprise when I checked out www.slickguns.com just now (the sight that posts gun deals) and saw that a major online store had it in stock and for $529 with free shipping!!!!! I almost couldn't type I was rushing so fast to try and get one in the shopping cart before they were sold out! Got in in then the site crashed. Kept trying for a panicky five or ten minutes and finally it came up and my gun was still in the cart and it allowed me to check out. Whew!!!!

Now I am truly broke and done with gun buying for the year (other than getting my layaway out in May). Now 2014? That will be the year of the rifle and shotgun! Hope to buy a Weatherby Vanguard 2 .308 with Stainless Steel barrel and synthetic stock along with a 12 ga. tactical shotgun of some kind (want the stock and pistol grip at a reasonable price).
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Re: What Guns Do you own?

My everyday carry: Ruger LC9. Small 9mm with a 7 round mag (boooo), but it is easy to conceal

My bedside gun: Ruger P95, also in 9mm but much larger and holds a standard 15 round mag with one in the chamber (which there is!). I also have a couple of large 32 round mags for it as well.

My "defend the house at all cost" rifle: The Bushmaster AR-15. Have about 9 mags and just under a thousand of rounds.

My "the SHTF and I'm gonna have to use this gun for defense and hunting for the rest of my life" gun: My Ruger 10/22 with a standard 5x scope along with a Gen 1 night vision. This and my wife's duplicate gun along with thousands and thousands of 22 rounds make this my long term survival solution. That and it is just fun to shoot!

The "we're experiencing a home invasion and have been caught flatfooted!" gun: A few here. A Ruger Mk III 22 and a Glock 19 9mm, both loaded and hidden in different places.

I have a few more I haven't mentioned and my wife has HER whole arsenal as well (although I already mentioned her Ruger 10/22.)
Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
My gun buying binge of ones that have high capacity magazines and might be banned continues!

In January I bought my DPMS Panther Oracle AR 15 along with my wife a Mossberg Tactical AR style .22 rifle.

In February I broke the plan of only buying high capacity guns this year and bought my wife a pink Ruger LCP .380 for conceal carry. I bought her a cool carry purse to go with it.

In February I also put on layaway a Taurus 840 semi automatic 40 S&W pistol that uses 15 + 1 magazines.

My dream pistol has been the Springfield XDM compact 9mm that makes the gun convertible from a compact easier to conceal carry to a high capacity gun. The "regular" mag is 13 rounds and the gun has a 3.8" barrel. The second mag that comes with the gun is a 19 round mag with an extension of the grip on the bottom so that when it is in the pistol is simply extends the grip to the same as the regular XDm pistol.

The problem has been that virtually nobody either online or in the four states I have checked actually has this gun in stock. I have signed up at a bazillion places online to be notified if it comes in stock. The second stumbling block is the price. Where my Taurus on layaway was a great deal at $359 the Springfield XDm goes for $649 most places right now with the best price being $599.

Imagine my surprise when I checked out www.slickguns.com just now (the sight that posts gun deals) and saw that a major online store had it in stock and for $529 with free shipping!!!!! I almost couldn't type I was rushing so fast to try and get one in the shopping cart before they were sold out! Got in in then the site crashed. Kept trying for a panicky five or ten minutes and finally it came up and my gun was still in the cart and it allowed me to check out. Whew!!!!

Now I am truly broke and done with gun buying for the year (other than getting my layaway out in May). Now 2014? That will be the year of the rifle and shotgun! Hope to buy a Weatherby Vanguard 2 .308 with Stainless Steel barrel and synthetic stock along with a 12 ga. tactical shotgun of some kind (want the stock and pistol grip at a reasonable price).

Now that is funny!

For hunting, I have a mossberg 500, Winchester 30-30, Remington 30-06, Marlin .22.
My defense and shooting range toys are Colt 6940, S & W mp15-22, conceal carry xdm 9.
I have about 85 30 round ar mags, so I'm where I want to be, and about 1000 .223 rounds.

On my list "to get" basically in order are:
Ar furniture for my Colt.
.380 for a smaller conceal
1911 .45 mattress gun
Stoeger 12 gauge with Max 4 Camo for duck hunting next year.
Tons of .22 rounds that I desperately lack, that Randy's hogging them all.
1000 more rounds if .223
2 more ar's when used ones sell cheap in about 6-9 months.
Night vision like our good buddy Randy already has!

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 03-22-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

We have a BB Gun out in the garage somewhere. Does that count?

Don't get me wrong tho - I wholeheartedly support YOUR right to own a gun! (or more than one if you want to, altho I'm not sure why you would want to).

The one thing I don't get tho is why people would want to own things like assault weapons? My dad and brothers are/were hunters. So I get owning all the hunting guns. Totally get that! But the other kind? I'm sorry. I just don't get that. I'm not saying we should take your rights away. I just say I don't understand why you want them?
Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 PM

For me, they are fun to shoot, and they look cool. They fire 1 time for every time u pull the trigger, just like my 30-06 that I deer hunt with, just like the marlin .22 that I squirrel hunt with. No different, they just look different.
The option of different magazines that can hold more rounds than most hunting rifles come with ar's. I enjoy that on the grounds of self defense if my family was ever in harms way, be it invasion of war, attacked at home, or whatever, and also when at the shooting range I don't have to reload as often. Family protection is my "1 priority, and a gun that can't defend my family from a distance,(like my deer rifle) while not getting shot because of having to reload more often, is a better defense gun IMO. If my deer rifle held more ammo than my ar, I'd prefer it for emergency defense, and maybe even hobby shooting too.

Margie, not sure if you knew..., and many people I have talked to, are confused of the fact that the tactical AR-15 rifle is not a "machine gun" like the m-16 that the army uses, even tho they often look identical. They(army) pull the trigger and hold it back, while bullets keep coming out. While an AR-15 is like a semi auto deer rifle, shotgun, or .22 rifle, in that you pull the trigger, and you get one bullet, that's it.

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. - Eph. 4:29

Last edited by shag; 03-22-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWayne View Post
My everyday carry: Ruger LC9. Small 9mm with a 7 round mag (boooo), but it is easy to conceal

My wife's Ruger LCP is the .380 version of your LC9 9mm. Also 7 rounds. Hers is pink though and I bet yours is not. I bought her that Lasermax laser that fits over the trigger guard. Pretty cool
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shag View Post
Now that is funny!

For hunting, I have a mossberg 500, Winchester 30-30, Remington 30-06, Marlin .22.
My defense and shooting range toys are Colt 6940, S & W mp15-22, conceal carry xdm 9.
I have about 85 30 round ar mags, so I'm where I want to be, and about 1000 .223 rounds.

On my list "to get" basically in order are:
Ar furniture for my Colt.
.380 for a smaller conceal
1911 .45 mattress gun
Stoeger 12 gauge with Max 4 Camo for duck hunting next year.
Tons of .22 rounds that I desperately lack, that Randy's hogging them all.
1000 more rounds if .223
2 more ar's when used ones sell cheap in about 6-9 months.
Night vision like our good buddy Randy already has!
What XDm 9 do you have? Regular or compact and if not compact how long is your barrel? Mine is the compact with the 3.8" barrel. comes with one 13 round mag and one 19 round one t hat has a grip extension on it.

(BTW I like those Mossberg 500 series shotguns. How do you like yours?)

Titus2woman on AF
F

Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
What XDm 9 do you have? Regular or compact and if not compact how long is your barrel? Mine is the compact with the 3.8" barrel. comes with one 13 round mag and one 19 round one t hat has a grip extension on it.

(BTW I like those Mossberg 500 series shotguns. How do you like yours?)

Compact 3.8
I never carry the 19 round mag cause its harder to conceal.

I've had my Mossberg for quite a few years. I like it but I'm ever so anxious to get the Stoeger as it is semi auto and has Beneli internals without the high price, and doesnt jam. I need that semi auto to unload in ducks faster. Max 4 Camo is perfect for duckhunting too, not so good for woods camo turkey hunting, so I'll still use my Mossberg for the turkeys.

Last edited by shag; 03-22-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:51 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

I hAve a 32 semi pistol. Bought it new - shot it twice. Sold my other gun I think. Sold a 10 22 Ruger, 30 30, and 30 06...

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Totally pumped today! My new Springfield Armory XDm compact 9mm has shipped! Got the Fed Ex tracking number today. Should be at my FFL and ready to pick up by the end of the week I would think.

Now if I only had some ammo for it! That will be my mission tomorrow. Have to take pizza to the new church tonight at 7 pm so can't be in line at Wal Mart to see if any 9mm ammo comes in. Sunday night I snagged two 50 round boxes of 40 S&W for the Taurus 840 I have on layaway. Anxious to get it out in May.

Titus2woman on AF
F