Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

I am looking for scriptures on different things

I am looking for scriptures on different things

Here is my list.

1. There was only one Christ in the bible, but there was more then one Jesus in the bible. I have found atleast one other Jesus and that is in Colossians 4:11. Are there any other Jesus in the bible.

2. This is about a Godly dress code. I was told that Moses told the childern of Israel at one time that there garmet were to short. And he told them they needed to add a border to the bottom of their garmet to make them longer so their thighs would be covered. Where is that in the bible.

Thank you for your help in finding these scriptures.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Go Dodgers!

Re: I am looking for scriptures on different thing

Jesus/Yeshua, was a common name

I don't know of any verse where Moses told them their garments were too short

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Best Hair on AFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxeas View Post
Jesus/Yeshua, was a common name

I don't know of any verse where Moses told them their garments were too short

There's something in "The Manual", isn't there? That's the same thing as the bible.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

I think someone is confusing 2 or more scriptures.

In Numbers 15:37-39, God does tell Moses to have the people sew more cloth on their clothes, but it has nothing to do with the length of the garments.

In Matthew 23:5, Jesus speaks of the Pharisees taking Numbers 15:38 to the extreme to bring attention to themselves and how religious they were, ignoring Numbers 15:39 which says the ribbons are to remind the Israelites of who God is, not to remind the whole world, Jews and Gentiles alike, who the Pharisees were. This had nothing to do with a holiness/modesty standard, but was actually religiosity perverting holiness and making it immodest.

And forgive the digression, but to the naysayers: Yes, I am all too aware of this same trend among holiness ranks today. That doesnt mean that all holiness believers are "Neo-Pharisees", but all "Neo-Pharisees" are holiness believers and do take the holiness doctrine to the extreme while neglecting other, equally important doctrines altogether. So how does one detect the difference between a "Neo-Pharisees" and a true believer? Does the subject neglect other important doctrines and focus solely on holiness? Does the subject look down his nose at those with "lower" standards? Does the subject make the subject's standards all about the subject, rather than about God? If any of these questions are answered yes, the subject may be a "Neo-Pharisee" and should do some soul searching. If all of these questions are answered yes, this person is a "Neo-Pharisee"

Now back on topic:

The closest thing to what you describe is found in Exodus 28:42, but when you look at the context of Exodus 28, you will understand this is not about correcting an immodest trend among the nation of Israel, but it is just one of a whole list of articles of clothing that is to be worn by the priests of the Levitical order:

(1)And take thou unto thee Aaron thy brother, and his sons with him, from among the children of Israel, that he may minister unto me in the priest's office, even Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, Eleazar and Ithamar, Aaron's sons.

(2)And thou shalt make holy garments for Aaron thy brother for glory and for beauty...

(4)And these are the garments which they shall make; a breastplate, and an ephod, and a robe, and a broidered coat, a mitre, and a girdle...

(5)And they shall take gold, and blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine linen.

(6 )And they shall make the ephod of gold, of blue, and of purple, of scarlet, and fine twined linen, with cunning work.

verses 7-40 goes on to describe in great detail each of the aforementioned articles of clothing

(41) And thou shalt put them upon Aaron thy brother, and his sons with him; and shalt anoint them, and consecrate them, and sanctify them, that they may minister unto me in the priest's office.

(42) And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach:

(43) And they shall be upon Aaron, and upon his sons, when they come in unto the tabernacle of the congregation, or when they come near unto the altar to minister in the holy place; that they bear not iniquity, and die: it shall be a statute for ever unto him and his seed after him.

Last edited by OilCityCajun; 07-26-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Go Dodgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
There's something in "The Manual", isn't there? That's the same thing as the bible.

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply. The info given has been a great help.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM
Best Hair on AFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJET View Post
Thank you so very much for taking the time to reply. The info given has been a great help.

Glad I could be of assistance.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

The Hebrew name Yehoshua or its shortened form Yeshua is given to Joshua, the man who succeeded Moses as leader over Israel. That name is found lots of places in the Bible. In the Old Testament that was translated into Greek Joshua or Yeshua is called Iesous. Some people/places name Iesous in the Old Testament are:
Joshua in Nehemiah 8:17
a priest in Ezra 3:2
a Levite in 2 Chronicles 31:15
a city in Nehemiah 11:26

In our New Testament,
Yeshua/Jesus/Joshua/Iesous is the name of a couple different people
Luke 3:29 an ancestor of our Lord
Colossians 4:11 a fellow worker of Paul
Acts 13:6 a sorcerer
Acts 7:45 and Hebrews 4:8 Joshua OT leader is called Jesus

I read somewhere that Yeshua/Joshua was one of the most common male names in that first century period, tied with Eleazer for fifth place behind Simon, Joseph, Judah, and John. Nearly one out of ten persons known from the period was named Yeshua.

That's why we often use "Jesus Christ" to designate our Savior and God instead of just "Jesus" because the name was quite common and there are several people in the Bible called "Jesus." Also Jesus is a common Spanish name so we designate our Savior as "Jesucristo" in Spanish.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:27 AM
Registered Member

WOW! thank you Mr. Sam
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Resident PeaceMaker

Bigjet using something like this can help you.http://www.searchgodsword.org/