Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Music Room
Facebook

Notices

The Music Room Share your favorite music, or request song lyrics here.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:28 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Re: Take Me In-Catherine Mullins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanah View Post
What do you all think about Song of Songs? Doesn't it use romantic language to express the love of God and his church?
It's a love song, attributed to Solomon, regarding one of his wives. It has been understood by the Jews as a metaphor for God's love for Israel, and by Christians in the same way as a metaphor for God's love for the church.

Asa Mahan (successor to Charles Finney at Oberlin), however, had a different take, namely that it was a love poem written by Solomon for one of his many foreign wives and was divinely preserved in order to be a lasting testimony to Solomon's backsliding into sensuality and idolatry.

In either event, it certainly does not mean that Christian men should become effeminised as seems to be the goal with much of today's contemporary worship music (which is primarily marketed to women, anyway, as the main consumer group).

I did not watch the video in the opening post, and made no comments about it, by the way.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-13-2018, 02:13 AM
Covenant Apostolic

having a tender heart to seek God doesn't make someone effeminate.

Psalm 42:1 1As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:32 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood

Quote:

Psalm 42:1 1As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God.
I'm not saying desiring God like a deer desires water is effeminate.

Biblical Worship - free pdf http://www.pdf-archive.com/2016/02/21/biblicalworship4/

Conditional immortality proven - https://ia800502.us.archive.org/3/it...surrection.pdf

Old 11-13-2018, 05:48 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Old 11-13-2018, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

The song and video in post one has nothing to do with sexuality. It is an old Petra song sang originally by men. Catherine Mullins did a remake, and IMO a very glorious one.

Someone on the internet added the video to the song like people do on the net. There is nothing sexual or feminine about it.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
What do you all think about Song of Songs? Doesn't it use romantic language to express the love of God and his church?
YAH being the great communicator portrays the same thing in Ezekiel 16.

Ezekiel 16:6-14

Quote:
6And when I passed by thee, and saw thee polluted in thine own blood, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live; yea, I said unto thee when thou wast in thy blood, Live. 7I have caused thee to multiply as the bud of the field, and thou hast increased and waxen great, and thou art come to excellent ornaments: thy breasts are fashioned, and thine hair is grown, whereas thou wast naked and bare.

8Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine. 9Then washed I thee with water; yea, I throughly washed away thy blood from thee, and I anointed thee with oil. 10I clothed thee also with broidered work, and shod thee with badgers' skin, and I girded thee about with fine linen, and I covered thee with silk. 11I decked thee also with ornaments, and I put bracelets upon thy hands, and a chain on thy neck. 12And I put a jewel on thy forehead, and earrings in thine ears, and a beautiful crown upon thine head. 13Thus wast thou decked with gold and silver; and thy raiment was of fine linen, and silk, and broidered work; thou didst eat fine flour, and honey, and oil: and thou wast exceeding beautiful, and thou didst prosper into a kingdom. 14And thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord GOD.
So if there may be songs that DO use what we would consider "romantic" language it would not be unusual.

Consider this:

Titus 1:15

15Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

So yes at times God uses such imagery to portray his love for the Church.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
YAH being the great communicator portrays the same thing in Ezekiel 16.

Ezekiel 16:6-14

So if there may be songs that DO use what we would consider "romantic" language it would not be unusual.

Consider this:

Titus 1:15

15Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.

So yes at times God uses such imagery to portray his love for the Church.
The Spanish language is a romantic language. Its normal to say things like "God your the lover of my soul" and "I am in love with you God". Things English speakers may be a little uncomfortable saying.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
The Spanish language is a romantic language. Its normal to say things like "God your the lover of my soul" and "I am in love with you God". Things English speakers may be a little uncomfortable saying.
I must have Spaniard in me. I tell Jesus I love him everyday.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
I must have Spaniard in me. I tell Jesus I love him everyday.
No Mike you are no Latino.

Because mi amour, and mi cortisone may come up a lot in worship. They are far from Mr Dancing Bear in the video interviewing Catherine Mullins. I love my brothers, I loved my father, never have I said I make love to my brothers or my father. See the difference?

As far as a deer panting for water has nothing to do with love making. It has all to do with deep WANT. Some Charismatics have way too much sugar in the tank.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:37 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esaias View Post
It's a love song, attributed to Solomon, regarding one of his wives. It has been understood by the Jews as a metaphor for God's love for Israel, and by Christians in the same way as a metaphor for God's love for the church.

Asa Mahan (successor to Charles Finney at Oberlin), however, had a different take, namely that it was a love poem written by Solomon for one of his many foreign wives and was divinely preserved in order to be a lasting testimony to Solomon's backsliding into sensuality and idolatry.

In either event, it certainly does not mean that Christian men should become effeminised as seems to be the goal with much of today's contemporary worship music (which is primarily marketed to women, anyway, as the main consumer group).

I did not watch the video in the opening post, and made no comments about it, by the way.
The opening video isn’t even how we got in the discussion. We entered where I posted a video of “woman warrior” being interviewed by “Boy George” do you really want to hurt me Chrismatics. But no worries, while this garbage is applauded we can talk about clean shaven Preterist Dispensationalists and bearded Pre Trib Idealists.