Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Foyer > The Information Station
Facebook

Notices

The Information Station A help forum with answers to frequently asked questions - includes our Forum Rules and updates or announcements from the Admin Team.

Old 04-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Not riding the train

Re: New "common core" curriculum in schools?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjxBClx01jc

The Film

Building the Machine introduces the public to the Common Core States Standards Initiative (CCSSI) and its effects on our children’s education. The documentary compiles interviews from leading educational experts, including members of the Common Core Validation Committee. Parents, officials, and the American public should be involved in this national decision regardless of their political persuasion.

What is the common core?

The Common Core is the largest systemic reform of American public education in recent history. What started as a collaboration between the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers to reevaluate and nationalize America’s education standards has become one of the most controversial—and yet, unheard of—issues in the American public.

In 2010, 45 states adopted the Common Core, but according to a May 2013 Gallup Poll, 62% of Americans said they had never heard of the Common Core. Prominent groups and public figures have broken traditional party lines over the issue, leaving many wondering where they should stand.

Find out more about the Common Core: hslda.org/commoncore

Why does HSLDA care about the common core?

Early in 2009, Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) began researching the Common Core in depth to gauge its would-be effect upon homeschooling families. Our team realized the national significance of this reform not only for public schools, but also for private schools and homeschools. HSLDA’s in-house film crew set out to create Building the Machine, the first investigative documentary about the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

After a year of research and production, we present the story of the Common Core through the voices of those who know it best.

http://commoncoremovie.com/
Old 09-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Not riding the train

Common Core is like a hangover.

You have to watch this teacher show how a student may not be comfortable adding 9 + 6. Hahahahahahahaha!

http://video.foxnews.com/v/376806027...#sp=show-clips
Old 09-04-2014, 09:53 PM
On the road less traveled

I will come back and watch it in a couple of days, when my internet resets. It is miserable at times being on Hughes Net, and limited on bandwidth

I had an interesting discussion with a librarian at our local high school on the Common Core. She is very pro-CC. She says that there needs to be a standard when children switch schools around the country so they are not behind, and that the CC addresses this. While the CC may address this issue (possibly), there are much bigger agendas at stake wrapped up in the propaganda that make this just one more example of government takeover through the classroom.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

My daughter just started Kindergarten at a charter school here. I spent a couple months looking at various charters and private schools and was excited to find a charter school which didn't teach Common Core.

Then we were invited to a school meeting the second week of school and were told AZ law mandated CC be taught in all schools, even charter schools.

The teachers aren't happy about it, but nothing anyone can do unless AZ changes its law.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
My daughter just started Kindergarten at a charter school here. I spent a couple months looking at various charters and private schools and was excited to find a charter school which didn't teach Common Core.

Then we were invited to a school meeting the second week of school and were told AZ law mandated CC be taught in all schools, even charter schools.

The teachers aren't happy about it, but nothing anyone can do unless AZ changes its law.
Really! Well, I think it is the same in our state too. I think there are just a few states that have opted out. The dumbing down of our children is on a downhill slalom course, sadly!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:26 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
I will come back and watch it in a couple of days, when my internet resets. It is miserable at times being on Hughes Net, and limited on bandwidth

I had an interesting discussion with a librarian at our local high school on the Common Core. She is very pro-CC. She says that there needs to be a standard when children switch schools around the country so they are not behind, and that the CC addresses this. While the CC may address this issue (possibly), there are much bigger agendas at stake wrapped up in the propaganda that make this just one more example of government takeover through the classroom.
She says, in the video, that a child may not be comfortable adding 9 + 6. LOL!

"They are quite comfortable thinking about their friend 10. 10 is emphasized in our young grades as we are working in a base 10 system. So, if we can partner 9 to a number and anchor that to 10, we can help our students see what 9 + 6 is. So, we are going to decompose our 6. And we know that our six is made up of parts. One of it's parts is a one, and the other part is a five. We are now going to anchor our 9 to a one, allowing our students to anchor that to 10. Now our students are seeing you have 10 + 5, having more comfort seeing that 10 + 5 is 15. That's much more comfortable than looking at 9 + 6, an isolated math fact."

Greg Gutfeld goes on to say....

"9 + 6 is so scary that we must partner 9, anchor 10, and decompose 6. Partner, anchor, decompose. That's not math, that's a plot to Silence of the Lambs. Why don't you just add 9 + 6 for God's sake or memorize it? With this logic, if you teach me to fish, you have to first teach me to fly a kite."

So, in reality, the Chinese, 5 minutes ago say - !5! And America is stilling adding.... pitiful. That's worse than the dot counting they used when my daughter was in kindergarten.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 09-05-2014 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:28 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord View Post
Really! Well, I think it is the same in our state too. I think there are just a few states that have opted out. The dumbing down of our children is on a downhill slalom course, sadly!
Not supposed to be in our state, but we are finding teachers implementing it and the school administrations making lame excuses.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 09-05-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Our "Republican" Governor here shoved it through. There is a glimmer of hope. The candidate she backed and supported was soundly defeated by a candidate who is against CC. And the AZ Superintendent of Public Instruction, who called parents against CC 'barbarians,' was also soundly defeated by a candidate who ran against CC.

The Legislature has tried removing CC a few times. A few bills stalled in committees and at least one bill was vetoed by the Governor.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 AM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
Our "Republican" Governor here shoved it through. There is a glimmer of hope. The candidate she backed and supported was soundly defeated by a candidate who is against CC. And the AZ Superintendent of Public Instruction, who called parents against CC 'barbarians,' was also soundly defeated by a candidate who ran against CC.

The Legislature has tried removing CC a few times. A few bills stalled in committees and at least one bill was vetoed by the Governor.
I understand that people feel we need standards across the board in this country, but what is being found after Common Core advanced, and experts agree, there is no research base that says National Standards or state standards drive higher results. It won't change people's minds. Our culture of reading more, etc. is what needs to change.

Common Core moves us away from skills, abilities and talents. CC is saying that everyone should be doing essentially the same thing, using the same model of an educational path. Some kids might want to go to vocational school, college for a liberal arts degree, or become a doctor.

Our system needs to be such that it's not a one-size-fits all. We need to have school choice where we are able to place a child where they are best suited and where they are best inclined to attend . The schools need to be able to move the students in whatever direction they want to go. That would be an efficient system that would be tailored to each unique individual.

CC moves us totally in the opposite direction where is says - everyone must do the same thing.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I understand that people feel we need standards across the board in this country, but what is being found after Common Core advanced, and experts agree, there is no research base that says National Standards or state standards drive higher results. It won't change people's minds. Our culture of reading more, etc. is what needs to change.

Common Core moves us away from skills, abilities and talents. CC is saying that everyone should be doing essentially the same thing, using the same model of an educational path. Some kids might want to go to vocational school, college for a liberal arts degree, or become a doctor.

Our system needs to be such that it's not a one-size-fits all. We need to have school choice where we are able to place a child where they are best suited and where they are best inclined to attend . The schools need to be able to move the students in whatever direction they want to go. That would be an efficient system that would be tailored to each unique individual.

CC moves us totally in the opposite direction where is says - everyone must do the same thing.
BINGO! Girl, you hit the nail on the head! The government wants everyone to fit into their idealized box and agenda, and this is what this is all about... conforming a whole generation to not thinking or reasoning, but just believing whatever is being told to them.