Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Sanctuary > Prayer Closet
Facebook

Notices

Prayer Closet The place to post prayer requests & testimonies. All new requests will auto-stick in Fellowship Hall for 48 hours.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Re: Prayer For My Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by n david View Post
My father is 85, though you wouldn't know it, at least not until the past couple months. He's been very active in the ministry for his age.

He's had a stroke and a couple heart attacks in the past 17 years, so Dr's had a defibrillator implanted which also monitors his heart 24/7. Last week, the Dr's office called to request an appointment because his machine was showing atrial fibrillation. My parents were on their way to the airport to travel out of the state when they got the call. His appointment was last Friday and confirmed that he's having afib.

My father was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 or 6 years ago, so having afib is not a good thing.

The Dr wants him to take a blood thinner. While it won't do anything to stop the afib, their thought is to keep him from having a stroke or blood clot.

I've been feeling a deepening sense of sadness that my father may not be here much longer. With that is knowing my mother is 80 and has had her share of recent health issues. They have been married and ministering together for 60 years. I fear that if my father passes, my mother will soon follow.

I'm not ready for any of that. Just so very not ready.
Praying for your dad, mom, and you. There is no way around the fact that this is a tough time in that "cycle of life" we learned about in The Lion King.

What a blessing though to have your parents live productive lives to such an advanced age. I know they are also blessed to have you there to love and support them as they enter this stage of their lives.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Update on my father:

Since my father hasn't had AFib again since the initial time a couple months ago, the Dr's have scheduled an appointment next week to try and re-create the AFib.

They plan on giving him a shot which will stop his heart and then paddle it back to life.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the Dr's plan.

Years ago, I had SVT (super-ventricular tachycardia). My heart pounded at 250 bps for a little over 20 minutes. They gave me the shot to stop my heart and allow it to reset itself. They didn't use the paddles on me; my heart just began beating again on its own about 10 seconds or so after it stopped. That happened twice. Felt like I was run over by a semi both times.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Update on my father:

Since my father hasn't had AFib again since the initial time a couple months ago, the Dr's have scheduled an appointment next week to try and re-create the AFib.

They plan on giving him a shot which will stop his heart and then paddle it back to life.

Needless to say, I'm not a fan of the Dr's plan.

Years ago, I had SVT (super-ventricular tachycardia). My heart pounded at 250 bps for a little over 20 minutes. They gave me the shot to stop my heart and allow it to reset itself. They didn't use the paddles on me; my heart just began beating again on its own about 10 seconds or so after it stopped. That happened twice. Felt like I was run over by a semi both times.
One of the brothers in the church had that kick start on the heart done to him. Everything worked out well. I have your father in prayer in Jesus name.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
My father is 85, though you wouldn't know it, at least not until the past couple months. He's been very active in the ministry for his age.

He's had a stroke and a couple heart attacks in the past 17 years, so Dr's had a defibrillator implanted which also monitors his heart 24/7. Last week, the Dr's office called to request an appointment because his machine was showing atrial fibrillation. My parents were on their way to the airport to travel out of the state when they got the call. His appointment was last Friday and confirmed that he's having afib.

My father was diagnosed with diabetes about 5 or 6 years ago, so having afib is not a good thing.

The Dr wants him to take a blood thinner. While it won't do anything to stop the afib, their thought is to keep him from having a stroke or blood clot.

I've been feeling a deepening sense of sadness that my father may not be here much longer. With that is knowing my mother is 80 and has had her share of recent health issues. They have been married and ministering together for 60 years. I fear that if my father passes, my mother will soon follow.

I'm not ready for any of that. Just so very not ready.
I know first hand how badly the whole "circle of life" thing can bite. Even the knowledge that this is just a temporary life and we will live all live forever with the Lord does not lesson the pain of missing loved ones who have been such a part of our life here on earth. I have likened losing a parent to like a tether of your life being loosened. Thank the Lord we have the comfort of the Holy Spirit as we face walking with our parents in the latter part of their lives and then when they go on to glory.
"I think some people love spiritual bondage just the way some people love physical bondage. It makes them feel secure. In the end though it is not healthy for the one who is lost over it or the one who is lives under the oppression even if by their own choice"

Titus2woman on AF
F

"We did not wear uniforms. The lady workers dressed in the current fashions of the day, ...silks...satins...jewels or whatever they happened to possess. They were very smartly turned out, so that they made an impressive appearance on the streets where a large part of our work was conducted in the early years.

"It was not until long after, when former Holiness preachers had become part of us, that strict plainness of dress began to be taught.

"Although Entire Sanctification was preached at the beginning of the Movement, it was from a Wesleyan viewpoint, and had in it very little of the later Holiness Movement characteristics. Nothing was ever said about apparel, for everyone was so taken up with the Lord that mode of dress seemingly never occurred to any of us."

Quote from Ethel Goss (widow of 1st UPC Gen Supt. Howard Goss) book "The Winds of God"
Old 07-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Prayers for your dad!!!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the prayers. My father had the procedure done Monday. They did not stop his heart, they actually shocked his heart. They said they would try to shock it three times to stop the afib and try to get it in sinus rhythm. It worked after the first try.

He was able to go home within a couple hours and has been doing well since then.

I'm sorry for the OP. I've realized I have been very blessed to have both parents together and alive into their 80s (mom is 78, dad is 82). Not many, as shown by posts on this thread, have had that opportunity.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:49 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Thanks for the prayers. My father had the procedure done Monday. They did not stop his heart, they actually shocked his heart. They said they would try to shock it three times to stop the afib and try to get it in sinus rhythm. It worked after the first try.

He was able to go home within a couple hours and has been doing well since then.

I'm sorry for the OP. I've realized I have been very blessed to have both parents together and alive into their 80s (mom is 78, dad is 82). Not many, as shown by posts on this thread, have had that opportunity.
Awesome post!

Still praying for Andrew.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:38 PM
of 9!! :)

Quote:

Praise the Lord!!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Praying for you all with heartfelt empathy and much emotion. Our parents are going through the same thing...and I hurt so much for them, for him, for everyone. We need to trust Jesus and put one foot in front of the other. Be a blessing to them while they are here. Love them like never before. Keep yourself prayed up. Hide under the shadow of His wings. I feel your pain. I'm praying.