Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 04-22-2007, 10:24 PM
jshorts

New Convert Story

Our pastor preached a great sermon on humility. During his sermon, he spoke about the tradition of the holy kiss. He said the church body should be in the place where they can greet each other with a holy kiss.

After church, one of the ladies my wife and I have been discipling comes up to me gives me a hug and pecks me on the cheek.

The funny part is my mother in law saw the whole thing.

I told my wife and my pastor what happened. They laughed so hard. My pastor said he should have made it a little more clear in the sermon. I told him he's probably not used to members of his congregation actually following through with what he said.

Now for the miracle. My mil wasn't bothered by it. My wife brought it up later in the day and my mil thought it was a cute story. Whew!!! Dodged a bullet with a in-laws... lol
Old 04-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshorts View Post
Our pastor preached a great sermon on humility. During his sermon, he spoke about the tradition of the holy kiss. He said the church body should be in the place where they can greet each other with a holy kiss.

After church, one of the ladies my wife and I have been discipling comes up to me gives me a hug and pecks me on the cheek.

I told my wife and my pastor what happened. They laughed so hard. My pastor said he should have made it a little more clear in the sermon. I told him he's probably not used to members of his congregation actually following through with what he said.

Now for the miracle. My mil wasn't bothered by it. My wife brought it up later in the day and my mil thought it was a cute story. Whew!!! Dodged a bullet with a in-laws... lol
Psa 119:165 (KJV) 165 Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

"Do not believe everthing you read on the internet" - Abe Lincoln
Old 04-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:

Old 04-22-2007, 10:45 PM
First Lady

Quote:

Too funny!!!!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:49 PM

reading along I expected it to be the MIL...

When I received the Holy Ghost (30 yrs ago today) there was a church noted to have women who would literally follow this scripture. We visited and saw nothing of the sort though.
Old 04-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Not riding the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post

When I received the Holy Ghost (30 yrs ago today) there was a church noted to have women who would literally follow this scripture. We visited and saw nothing of the sort though.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

New Convert Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post

We still attend the church my dad and mom founded almost 50 yrs.

ago! I was there the day it began and my husband of almost 48 yrs. and I

are there today, along with five of our six children and their children.

Our son in law is the pastor now. When we have new people come and

become a part of this congregation, at some point I have an opportunity

to tell them, as I am hugging and sometimes kissing a man on the cheek,

"If you see this senior sister hugging or kissing a man, rest assured it is

either my brother, one of my three sons in law, one of my sons (2) or it

maybe one of my 11 grandsons who all attend there. They always laugh

understandingly. And it just could be my hubby!!!

Blessings,

Falla39
Old 04-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpiali...

Well it is in scripture. I have always justified it through my understanding that "kiss" need not always involve lips and/or sucking sounds.

VERB:
kissed , kiss·ing , kiss·es
VERB:
tr.

-To touch or caress with the lips as an expression of affection, greeting, respect, or amorousness.

-To touch lightly or gently: flowers that were kissed by dew.

-To strike lightly; brush against: barely kissed the other car with the bumper.
VERB:
intr.

-To engage in mutual touching or caressing with the lips.

-To come into light contact.

NOUN:

-A caress or touch with the lips.

-A slight or gentle touch.

-A small piece of candy, especially of chocolate.

-A drop cookie made of egg whites and sugar.

I am a firm believer in the Old Paths

Articles on such subjects as "The New Birth," will be accepted, whether they teach that the new birth takes place before baptism in water and Spirit, or that the new birth consists of baptism of water and Spirit. - THE PENTECOSTAL HERALD Dec. 1945

"It is doubtful if any Trinitarian Pentecostals have ever professed to believe in three gods, and Oneness Pentecostals should not claim that they do." - Daniel Segraves
Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Resident PeaceMaker

I bet alot of kissing goes on in a Metropolitan community church.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hoover View Post
Well it is in scripture. I have always justified it through my understanding that "kiss" need not always involve lips and/or sucking sounds.

VERB:
kissed , kissˇing , kissˇes
VERB:
tr.

-To touch or caress with the lips as an expression of affection, greeting, respect, or amorousness.

-To touch lightly or gently: flowers that were kissed by dew.

-To strike lightly; brush against: barely kissed the other car with the bumper.
VERB:
intr.

-To engage in mutual touching or caressing with the lips.

-To come into light contact.

NOUN:

-A caress or touch with the lips.

-A slight or gentle touch.

-A small piece of candy, especially of chocolate.

-A drop cookie made of egg whites and sugar.
Umm.... Years ago you caugt me off guard with this when I was protesting that we read culture into some verses and not others.

However, I since came to realize that the definitions of a kiss as presented here are irrelevant. The question is what did Paul intend when he said it. The exact definition would be a "kiss" as most interpret it.

The principle behind the symbolism would be the greater issue; which all would acknowledge. But somehow that gets lost when it comes to head coverings.

Just throwing in my two cents.