Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Library
Facebook

Notices

The Library The Library for posting Articles and recommended reading.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:33 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

The Bible Evidence of the Baptism of the Spirit

I’m not sure when this was written. Smith Wigglesworth was born in 1859 and died in 1947 at the age of 88. He received the Holy Ghost Baptism in 1907. He claimed that he never wrote anything and that the 2 books (Ever Increasing Faith, 1924 and Faith That Prevails, 1938) that were published with his name as author had been taken down in shorthand and later published.

The Bible Evidence of the Baptism of the Spirit
by Smith Wigglesworth

There is much controversy today as regards the genuineness of this Pentecostal work, but there is nothing so convincing as the fact that over fifteen years ago a revival on Holy Ghost lines began and has never ceased. You will find that in every clime throughout the world God has poured out His Spirit in a remarkable way in a line parallel with the glorious revival that inaugurated the church of the first century. People, who could not understand what God was doing when He kept them concentrated in prayer, wondered as these days were being brought about by the Holy Ghost, and found themselves in exactly the same place and entering into an identical experience as the Apostles on the day of Pentecost.

Our Lord Jesus said to His disciples, "Behold, I send the promise of My Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high" (Luke 24:49). God promised through the prophet Joel, "I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh... Upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My Spirit." As there is a widespread misconception concerning this receiving of the Holy Spirit, I believe the Lord would have us examine the Scriptures on this subject.

You know, beloved, it had to be something on the line of solid facts to move me. I was as certain as possible that I had received the Holy Ghost, and was absolutely rigid in this conviction. When this Pentecostal outpouring began in England I went to Sunderland and met with the people who had assembled for the purpose of receiving the Holy Ghost. I was continually in those meetings causing disturbances until the people wished I had never come. They said that I was disturbing the whole conditions. But I was hungry and thirsty for God, and had gone to Sunderland because I heard that God was pouring out His Spirit in a new way. I heard that God had now visited His people, had manifested His power and that people were speaking in tongues as on the day of Pentecost.

When I got to this place I said, "I cannot understand this meeting. I have left a meeting in Bradford all on fire for God. The fire fell last night and we were all laid out under the power of God. I have come here for tongues, and I don't hear them-I don't hear anything."

"Oh!" they said, "when you get baptized with the Holy Ghost you will speak in tongues." "Oh, is that it?" said I, "when the presence of God came upon me, my tongue was loosened, and really I felt as I went in the open air to preach that I had a new tongue." "Ah no," they said, "that is not it." "What is it, then?" I asked. They said, "When you get baptized in the Holy Ghost-" "I am baptized," I interjected, "and there is no one here who can persuade me that I am not baptized." So I was up against them arid they were up against me.

I remember a man getting up and saying, "You know, brothers and sisters, I was here three weeks and then the Lord baptized me with the Holy Ghost and I began to speak with other tongues." I said, "Let us hear it. That's what I'm here for." But he would not talk in tongues. I was doing what others are doing today, confusing the 12th of I Corinthians with the 2nd of Acts. These two chapters deal with different things, one with the gifts of the Spirit, and the other with the Baptism of the Spirit with the accompanying sign. I did not understand this and so I said to the man, "Let's hear you speak in tongues." But he could not. He had not received the "gift" of tongues, but the Baptism.

As the days passed I became more and more hungry. I had opposed the meetings so much, but the Lord was gracious, and I shall ever remember that last day-the day I was to leave. God was with me so much that last night. They were to have a meeting and I went, but I could not rest. I went to the Vicarage, and there in the library I said to Mrs. Boddy, "I cannot rest any longer, I must have these tongues." She replied, "Brother Wigglesworth, it is not the tongues you need but the Baptism. If you will allow God to baptize you, the other will be all right." "My dear sister, I know I am baptized," I said. "You know that I have to leave here at 4 o'clock. Please lay hands on me that I may receive the tongues."

She rose up and laid her hands on me and the fire fell. I said, "The fire's falling." Then came a persistent knock at the door, and she had to go out. That was the best thing that could have happened, for I was ALONE WITH GOD. Then He gave me a revelation. Oh, it was wonderful! He showed me an empty cross and Jesus glorified. I do thank God that the cross is empty, that Christ is no more on the cross. It was there that He bore the curse, for it is written, "Cursed is everyone that hangeth on a tree."

He became sin for us that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him, and now, there He is in the glory. Then I saw that God had purified me. It seemed that God gave me a new vision, and I saw a perfect being within me with mouth open, saying, "Clean l Clean! Clean!" When I began to repeat it I found myself speaking in other tongues. The joy was so great that when I came to utter it my tongue failed, and I began to worship God in other tongues as the Spirit gave me utterance.

It was all as beautiful and peaceful as when Jesus said, "Peace, be still!" and the tranquillity of that moment and the joy surpassed anything I had ever known up to that moment. But, Hallelujah l these days have grown with greater, mightier, more wonderful divine manifestations and power. That was but the beginning. There is no end to this kind of beginning. You will never get an end to the Holy Ghost till you are landed in the glory-till you are right in the presence of God forever. And even then w e shall ever be conscious of His presence.

What had I received? I had received the Bible evidence. This Bible evidence is wonderful to me. I knew I had received the very evidence of the Spirit's incoming that the Apostles received on the day of Pentecost. I knew that everything I had had up to that time was in the nature of an anointing bringing me in line with God in preparation, but now I knew I had the Biblical Baptism in the Spirit. It had the backing of the Scriptures. You are always right when you have the backing of the Scriptures and you are never right if you have not a foundation for your testimony in the Word of God.

For many years I have thrown out a challenge to any person who can prove to me that he has the Baptism without speaking in tongues as the Spirit gives utterance-to prove it by the Word that he has been baptized in the Holy Ghost without the Bible evidence, but so far no one has accepted the challenge. I only say this because so many were as I was; they have a rigid idea that they have received the Baptism without the Bible evidence. The Lord Jesus wants those who preach the Word to have the Word in evidence. Don't be misled by anything else. Have a Bible proof for all you have, and then you will be in a place where no man can move you.

I was so full of joy that I wired home to say that I had received the Holy Ghost. As soon as I got home, my boy came running up to me and said, "Father, have you received the Holy Ghost?" I said, "Yes, my boy." He said, "Let's hear you speak in tongues." But I could not. Why? I had received the Baptism in the Spirit with the speaking in tongues as the Bible evidence according to Acts 2:4, and had not received the gift of Tongues according to 1 Corinthians 12. I had received the Giver of all gifts.

At some time later when I was helping some souls to seek and receive the Baptism of the Spirit, God gave me the gift of Tongues so that I could speak at any time. I could speak, but will not-no never! I must allow the Holy Ghost to use the gift. It should be so, so that we shall have divine utterances only by the Spirit. I would be very sorry to use a gift, but the Giver has all power to use the whole nine gifts.

I want to take you to the Scriptures to prove my position. There are business men here, and they know that in cases of law, where there are two clear witnesses they could win a case before any judge in Australia. On the clear evidence of two witnesses any judge will give a verdict. What has God given us? Three clear witnesses on the Baptism in the Holy Spirit-more than are necessary in law courts.

The first is in Acts 2:4, "They were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Here we have the original pattern. And God gave to Peter an eternal word that couples this experience with the promise that went before. "This is that." And God wants you to have that -nothing less than that. He wants you to receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit according to this original Pentecostal pattern.

In Acts 10 we have another witness. Peter is in the house of Cornelius. Cornelius had had a vision of a holy angel and had sent for Peter. A person said to me one day, "You don't admit that I am filled and baptized with the Holy Ghost. Why, I was ten days and ten nights on my back before the Lord and He was flooding my soul with joy." I said, "Praise the Lord, sister, that was only the beginning. The disciples were tarrying that time, and they were still, and the mighty power of God fell upon them then and the Bible tells what happened when the power fell.

to be continued in part 2
Old 09-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Re: The Bible Evidence of the Baptism of the Spiri

continued from part 1

And that is just what happened in the house of Cornelius. The Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. "And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost." What convinced these prejudiced Jews that the Holy Ghost had come? "For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God." There was no other way for them to know. This evidence could not be contradicted. It is the Bible evidence.

We have heard two witnesses, and that is sufficient to satisfy the world. But God goes one better. Let us look at Acts 19:6, "And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues and prophesied." These Ephesians received the identical Bible evidence as the Apostles at the beginning and they prophesied in addition. Three times the Scriptures show us this evidence of the Baptism in the Spirit. I do not magnify tongues. No, by God's grace, I magnify the Giver of tongues. And I magnify above all Him whom the Holy Ghost has come to reveal to us, the Lord Jesus Christ. He it is who sends the Holy Spirit and I magnify Him because He makes no difference between us and those at the beginning.

But what are tongues for? Look at the 2nd verse of 1 Cor. 14 and you will see a very blessed truth. Oh, Hallelujah! Have you been there, beloved? I tell you, God wants to take you there. "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue, speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." It goes on to say, "He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself."

Enter into the promises of God. It is your inheritance. You will do more in one year if you are really filled with the Holy Ghost than you could do in fifty years apart from Him.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:01 PM
of 9!! :)

Bro Wigglesworth had a true hunger and thirst and he would not stop until he was truly filled!! Thank you Sam for posting this!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't Take Nothin' For My Journey Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
Bro Wigglesworth had a true hunger and thirst and he would not stop until he was truly filled!! Thank you Sam for posting this!
Amen! Yes, thanks, Bro. Sam, for posting these very interesting posts!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Banned

Sam, his theology confuses me. At first, he believes he received the Spirit sans tongues. Later, he refers to receiving the Spirit with "Bible evidence," and refers explicitly to tongues.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Maybe he realized that he only thought he had the spirit until he spoke in tongues. Then he knew for sure.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Sam, his theology confuses me. At first, he believes he received the Spirit sans tongues. Later, he refers to receiving the Spirit with "Bible evidence," and refers explicitly to tongues.

I think he is speaking of two different experiences: the salvation experience which is the indwelling of the Spirit and the Holy Ghost Baptism which is some times a separate and subsequent experience. I think all of us here believe that Jesus lives in us as the Holy Spirit. Some believe He does not live in us until we speak with tongues. Others believe He comes in to live in us when we invite Him and then there is a subsequent experience when we receive an empowering in the Spirit or a release of the gifts of the Spirit and that subsequent experience is a baptism in the Spirit.

This is meant to be descriptive and not argumentative because we do have different opinions on here.

The birth of the Spirit and the Baptism in the Spirit as two separate experiences has been described as:

1. Jesus was born through the work of the Holy Spirit and indwelt by the Holy Spirit for about 30 years before He received an anointing or empowering of the Spirit or a baptism in the Spirit.

2. Salvation is compared to a well of water in our soul in John 4:1-26 and Isaiah 12:1-3 and the HGB or Holy Ghost Baptism is compared to a river of water gushing forth from our innermost being in John 7:37-39.

3. Salvation is compared to a pilot light (some here may be too young to know what that is) and the baptism in the Spirit is compared to that pilot light bursting into a full flame.

4. John the Baptist (or Yochanan the Immerser) presented Jesus (Yeshua) in a twofold manner: First as our Savior as the Lamb of God that takes away the sin of the world and then secondly as the one Who would immerse/baptize people in the Holy Spirit.

5. A visual picture of the two experiences has been done with a pitcher full of water and an empty glass. First, water from the pitcher is poured into the glass. The glass is full of water depicting the Spirit coming in and filling a person. Then that glass of water is carefully picked up and lowered into the pitcher of water. The glass is still full of water but now it is submerged, immersed, baptized in the water.

6. In the Book of Acts there are various accounts of folks who were converted/saved/born again and then subsequently baptized in the Spirit such as in Acts chapters 2, 8, 9, and 19.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

Sam #6, do you care to elaborate.
Also, where does the Text make such a distinction of "Spirit infilling" and "Spirit baptism?"

Those who received the Holy Ghost baptism @ Pentecost were all "filled" with the HG. Sounds like an infilling and the words sound interchangable and synonymous.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Jesus' Name Pentecostal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Sam #6, do you care to elaborate.
Also, where does the Text make such a distinction of "Spirit infilling" and "Spirit baptism?"

Those who received the Holy Ghost baptism @ Pentecost were all "filled" with the HG. Sounds like an infilling and the words sound interchangable and synonymous.
There are many "fillings"

The early Church (believers in Jesus resurrection) numbered over 500 according to 1 Corinthians 15:1-5 but only about one fourth of them (120) were "filled" or "baptized" in the Spirit on that Day of Pentecost in Jerusalem. Peter was among them. After his being "filled" in Acts 2:4, he was "filled" again in Acts 4:8, and again in Acts 4:31.

Saul of Tarsus was born of the Spirit (or saved) on the road to Damascus (January 25 AD 32) and then 3 days later Ananias came in to lay his hands on him so he could be "filled" with the Spirit (Acts 9:1-17). Then 15 years later (AD 47) we read in Acts 13:9 that he was filled with the Spirit.

The Church in Ephesus appears to have its origin in Acts 18 and 19 in the fall of AD 53. Paul found some "disciples" that did not even know about the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. They were still functioning under the message of John the Baptist. Paul explained the Gospel to them. After their conversion they were baptized in water and then they received the Holy Ghost Baptism through the laying on of hands. Later, while Paul was in prison (AD 61-62) he wrote to this assembly. He called them saints and mentioned that after they had believed they were sealed by the Holy Spirit (Eph 1:1, 13). Then in chapter 3 verse 16 he prayed that they would be strengthened with might by God's indwelling Spirit. Later in 4:30 he exhorts them to not grieve the Holy Spirit by Whom they had been sealed unto the day of redemption. In chapter 5 verses 18-20 he exhorts them to "be filled with the Spirit" or "be being filled with the Spirit (Kenneth Hagin) or "be ongoingly filled with the Spirit" (Jack Hayford).

There are many "fillings" with the Spirit. Salvation is not a once for all activity of the Holy Spirit. Before salvation He woos and draws and separates us to God. At salvation He comes in to dwell and fills us. After salvation He encourages, strengthens, equips, builds up, etc. After salvation there are many fillings. Some times the terms "Spirit falling upon" or "Spirit coming upon" or "Spirit being poured out upon" or "receiving (opening up to or making room for) the Spirit" or "being immersed/soaked/saturated/baptized in the Spirit" are used to describe various aspects of the Holy Spirit's work in, upon, and through us. Because some times it is mentioned that when one of these fillings/baptisms/outpourings/receivings happened there were manifestations like speaking with tongues and/or prophecy, some have taken the stand that the Holy Spirit is not really in one until those manifestations take place. Others consider those manifestations to be the "initial physical evidence" of the HGB. Here on this forum, we are diverse in our views of the HGB.

The reason I presented the article by Bro. Smith Wigglesworth was to present the usual Pentecostal/Charismatic/Apostolic position that "speaking with tongues" was the "initial physical evidence" of the HGB which is believed by many who believe salvation does not occur until speaking with tongues happens and many who believe that speaking with tongues is an experiences subsequent to salvation.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Banned

Sam, I sincerely wanted to know your thoughts.
Where do you get that only a fourth of the Corinthians were Holy Ghost baptized? It doesn't say so in the Text at all.

Additionally your example "fillings" involving Peter are also not on stable ground. We all know that Acts 2 was the initial outpouring, and Peter's first encounter with the HG. When he spoke later in Acts 4, it says he preached, being filled with the HG (which is a state-of-being, not a action at that time). Either way, we all believe you can be filled again, touched again, baptized again after the initial experience.

Where do you find Saul of Tarsus receiving the Spirit prior to Acts 9:17? Acts 13 is another state-of-being verb indicating that Saul spoke as moved on by the HG, or showing his authority, speaking by the HG.

The article you presented seemed to be a man with a theological dilemma. He picked an argument with the saints that he had the HG before tongues, but later in the article he seems to recant from that position. Do you know?