Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-21-2018, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Re: Who was Harry Morse ?

The meetings at the Pentecostal Mission at Ninth and Franklin have not, perhaps, been brought before the people much in the past two years during the pastorate of Rev. Harry Morse, yet it is a branch of religious work doing much good. The open air meetings are held regularly at Broadway and Ninth Street. The meetings in the hall are aggressive and full of fervor.

All grades of people find salvation in these meetings. Some wonderful cases of healing are reported, too. The work is self-supporting. Anything done for people is done free of charge.

These various branches of the Pentecostal movement have been in this site for over 10 years. The public is cordially invited. The meetings are free to all

Oakland Tribune October 12, 1917.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

Looks like more data about William Francis Manley is coming my way. After that, I need to spend a few days at the archive in Hazelwood.

Finding original data about relatively unknown Pentecostals seems to be doing up. So I need to put the data together and send it to a publisher.

I hope lots of data comes in on WFM.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

Apparently, there were 2 men living in California during the 1920's with the name William Francis Manley.

So, no new data today.

Totally frustrating. Sorta like finding fools gold.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Evangelist Charles S. Price preached a revival in Fresno...

It was his custom to announce one or two evenings each week to b set aside to pray for the sick. This was the practice of most of the evangelists in the earlier times of Pentecostal revivals.

Is this true ??
Just trying to catch up on this post.... Sis bobbie shoemake, I believe her mothers name was opal Thorton (sp?)... passed many years ago. that family was from the early Fresno church. A person of interest maybe?
Old 04-20-2018, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I'll look into it. I am waiting for more data to come in. If not, I will wrap up the project.

Thanks for the lead.

Scott Pitta
Old 05-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

Harry Morse promoted a "union" of Pentecostal churches in Oakland. Morse was not in charge. But he did support William Branham coming to town. Branham did not preach at the Big Downtown Mission. The year was 1957.

But the next 2 times William Branham was in town, Morse did not advertise the event.

Not sure what to make of it all.

Did William Branham mix with Oneness churches ? What am I to make of Harry Morse promoting a citywide Branham crusade ??
Old 05-09-2018, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Pitta View Post
Harry Morse promoted a "union" of Pentecostal churches in Oakland. Morse was not in charge. But he did support William Branham coming to town. Branham did not preach at the Big Downtown Mission. The year was 1957.

But the next 2 times William Branham was in town, Morse did not advertise the event.

Not sure what to make of it all.

Did William Branham mix with Oneness churches ? What am I to make of Harry Morse promoting a citywide Branham crusade ??
Branham in the 40’s was promoted by Oneness leaders such as Jack Moore, Kidson, Welch, Brown, Reed, etc. Moore was his campaign manager then in the early 50’s Gordon Linsay became his campaign manager at the time he was affiliated with the AG. The “Latter Rain movement” had just become widespread. Moving doctrinal barriers. Before than time many Oneness men particularly those previously associated with the PCI. Branham was Oneness in his Godhead teaching though he taught that mostly at his home church not in public meetings. I hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Your generous historical perspective is the very best.

Off to the library to upload some pics from 1938. Identifying people in the photos is as hard as finding the pictures.

But here we go.....
Old 05-09-2018, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

A reminder the UPC was formed in 1945 the PCI element of the group in their leadership had men who did not believe Acts 2:38 was Jn.3:5. Thus they were more lenient in their fellowship than the PAJC. Moore, Kidson, Vanhoose, Coots, and others who sponsored Branham and other Healing evangelists of that era became connected to the “Latter Rain Movement” and formed the IMA in the early 50’s. Moore was having Branham at his church at Shreveport as late as 64 even though some of Branham’s off the wall doctrines were being known. He did not follow those teaching but yet had Branham there. Just a note.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

There are so many moving elements in the 1950's Pentecostalism, it is enough to make my head spin.

I'm glad I can focus on one local area and a limited time period.