Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 08-24-2018, 06:06 PM
Saved & Shaved

Re: What logic and Bible is used against beards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
SHAVE Your Beards!

Or You Will all look Like Rabbis and Sabbatai Zevi
Sabbatai Zevi... sounds like something from the menu at the Olive Garden.

With a side of rabbioli
Old 08-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeley View Post
Sabbatai Zevi... sounds like something from the menu at the Olive Garden.

With a side of rabbioli
That was funny
Old 08-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Here is the Con argument from a well known name in the UPCI

http://www.google.com/amp/s/martynba...ostal-men/amp/

I find it seems to follow a presumptive argument form in which points are made to support a conclusion, when the statement supporting the arguement is not universally true, or not the only ecplination for the result.

Another writer I found in the Con column states:

"MOTIVE – a lot of young men that I have come into contact with who are wearing facial hair in our holiness movement are doing so out of rebellion, not all – but many. They feel like they have something to prove.

ATTITUDE - There is a trend to cast off the former “traditions” of the holiness church, and to embrace a more relaxed, casual, sloppy attitude in God’s presence.
If the motive of a young man for wearing facial hair stems from an attitude problem, or rebellion – then facial hair is just a little bit of the fruit that is growing on the tree? The root of the problem is a definitely a heart issue!

TRADITION – The bible makes reference to the positives and negatives of tradition. There were men in Jesus’ day who had exalted their traditions above the doctrines clearly defined in God’s Word, and for this they were condemned. But on the other hand, the Apostle Paul was inspired to command us to uphold tradition given to us through God’s written word, and also, through the wisdom and teaching of those in authority:"

I could not find someone with tge name recognition above in the pro column, perhaps because of effects like the long back thread involving people taliking about Bro. Bernard. None the less- I'd say this sort of capfures some of the pro argument without just being my word alone;
From:http://www.revelation.co/2013/05/12/...n-grow-beards/
"Most all men of the Bible had beards, even Jesus. Though beards are not required for salvation, it’s interesting to note that nearly all men in the Bible had beards.
God’s word reveals that beards are a blessing to men, which is sadly forgotten in today’s age. While not required, growing a beard can, in a sense, give honor and glory to a God who created man with that ability. Not out of requirement, not out of salvation, but out of appreciation for God giving man that distinction. Just like women are generally blessed with long/thick hair, and the ability to bear children–so are men blessed with the ability to grow thick facial hair.

I really truly think most of the divisive "standards" issues come from the articles of faith etc. That were written including the authors view relative to the norms of the period of writing- this includes
Dresses on ladies
Uncut/hmh hair doctrine
Beards
Suits

If specific articles of clothing are not mentioned, but long hair for ladies, modesty, and simplicity are still communicated as desireable and biblical, much of the rebellion that does occur would not. And hmh doctrine would not exist- because those trying to keep the standard relevent to a world in whuch we see lesbian trasgender men on magazine covers would not find themselves so far afeild trying to make scripture fit narrative.

But that is my humble opinion, and I have been labeled libertine, by some here.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
So far my Pastor has only said "I dont favor beards". I'm kind of hoping in a way he leaves it there. Another brother preached against letting down the standards a while back. I dont know if it was aimed at me.

A friend of mine from Missouri came to Church with us last night. He has a very good full beard. Nothing was said from the pulpit and the Pastor treated him kindly.
MTD, you're attending a goodness to honest church?? Well praise God!!
Old 08-24-2018, 08:07 PM
Registered Member

The Hippies had beards argument fails. Many hippies did NOT have beards.

The drug addicts have beards argument fails. The guy who turned me on to most kinds of drugs was clean shaven. My best friend with whom I did drugs with regularly was clean shaven. Three of the main drug dealers I knew were clean shaven.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingDominion View Post
MTD, you're attending a goodness to honest church?? Well praise God!!
Why should that be shocking? I was an Elder in several Churches for a 13 year period. I have always believed in a local Church. Its just that I want a Church that has enough truth to make it worth while going.

BTW are you saying a group is NOT an honest to goodness Church if they dont preach "shave only"?

Last edited by Michael The Disciple; 08-24-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
The Hippies had beards argument fails. Many hippies did NOT have beards.

The drug addicts have beards argument fails. The guy who turned me on to most kinds of drugs was clean shaven. My best friend with whom I did drugs with regularly was clean shaven. Three of the main drug dealers I knew were clean shaven.
Rabbinical Jews have beards, Muslims have beards, hippies are the least of the problem.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

The "shave only" Preachers say if there a man who wears a beard is associating themselves with wicked people.

They are (probably) not aware that not only Jesus wore a beard it's HIGHLY PROBABLE he has one even now!

They need to repent and seriously ask YAH for forgiveness. Their judge may well be wearing a beard as he announces their judgment. He wont be thanking them for turning away many Godly men from Apostolic truth, telling them they are rejecting the Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Catholic traditions by growing their beards.

He wont be saying "well done" to Preachers who told Godly men their beards were the mark of the beast.

"Shave only" preachers may get very quiet on judgment day when many Godly men testify they were not welcome in "Apostolic" Churches with a beard even tho Jesus and the Apostles had them.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Rabbinical Jews have beards, Muslims have beards, hippies are the least of the problem.
Well yeah I said the hippy argument fails.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:29 PM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Why should that be shocking? I was an Elder in several Churches for a 13 year period. I have always believed in a local Church. Its just that I want a Church that has enough truth to make it worth while going.
When were you an elder in several churches for a 13 year period?

The 70s or the 80s?