Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The D.A.'s Office
Facebook

Notices

The D.A.'s Office The views expressed in this forum are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of AFF or the Admin of AFF.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Re: Pentecostalism Inspired Early Rock n Roll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vaughn View Post
First of all.. I never accept money for preaching..... so thanks

These people have been to my church while visiting New orleans.. we became good friends.... while they know I believe in doctrines different than theirs we are friends.. we showed them a good time in the city.. I had the brother preach for me for two nights..... I suppose the fact we gave him a couple of thousand dollars for 2 services ..... made him feel compelled to have me to come,, lol,, just kidding.. but we always treat the men of God with high respect around here and they leave here feeling like a million dollars.... so, he in turn invited me to preach at their meetings...

I simply preached on the "The Seasons of God" a very faith building message.. never any doctrine.. I have more class than that Eply........ when he preached for me,.. he understood our differences and he preached on "Preparing for the 2nd coming" great sermons to cause our hearts to turn towards home.....

Unlike many of the Apostolic brothers... I see no need to circle myself into a hole.... I am good to people,, they know I genuinly love them.. and it shows..... a few months ago we had a wonderful friend of mine a Baptist pastor in town.. he pastors in Dallas over 4 thousand people.. and I invited him to speak to our people... and he gave his personal testimony of being delivered from Alcoholism.... we have several men come forward for prayer that were visiting with their wives.... saw some positive results from an Baptist man......

this is just who I am.......they know not to cross the line in our church and I know not to do the same in theirs
Fine if they knew then so be it. What you and them do is none of my business my only question was did they know? Of course I question the man's judgment but if he opens his church to you that is him. And you have many things in common with the Baptistso I can understand that.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Poster View Post
Amazing how Elvis never mentioned this experience but felt free to talk about his AOG roots. Personally, I don't believe this story. I've never seen any real proof. I think it's just another case of Oneness Pentecostalism seeking validation from celebrities, and it's goofy.
I have a tendency to believe this. Back in the early 60's Bro Jimmy Dyson spoke of his teen days of friendship with Elvis and jamming with him in Memphis. Bro Jimmy was highly esteemed in these parts at the time and didn't need validations from a celebrity. His reason for mentioning it was to get God's people to pray for his "friend".
Old 05-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Are Jimmy Dyson Or David Dyson still alive? They might could give their witness to whether or not Elvis was baptized in Jesus Name. I have not heard anything about either of them in 40 years. I have heard that Kenneth is still alive, but he is a little younger so he might not be an eye witness.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Dr. Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Epley View Post
Fine if they knew then so be it. What you and them do is none of my business my only question was did they know? Of course I question the man's judgment but if he opens his church to you that is him. And you have many things in common with the Baptistso I can understand that.
Trust me brother.. if you knew the name you would know.. lack of judgment is not his forte'....... great brother in the Pentecostal movement...
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahum View Post
I once heard a story (on Aff) that was posted by a very, very prominent poster about hair-cutting parties being thrown by Tiumphant1. The story was told over and over an over by a prominent preacher/pastor.

It was an absolute lie.

No one ever called his hand on it.

I do not know if the men, in this case, were lying.

Maybe they "misremembered?"

I do know I don't believe a word of it.

I am Rex Dyson great-grandson and I can tell you the man isn't a liar and the man did not misremember things if that is even a word. He knew exactly what he was saying and he didn't make it up. If you knew him at all, which you admit that you do not, you would know he could have cared less about celebrity. He didn't even like to talk about it and only did if you asked him about it. His wife, my great grandmother was the exact same way. For this to not be true, I would have to believe that my Great-Grandparents were liars, my grandfather and all of his brothers were liars as well.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Go Dodgers!

So your great grandfather went around telling stories about this person having hair cutting parties?

1. There is One God. This one God reveals Himself distinctly as Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
  2. The Son is God himself in a human form or "God manifested in the flesh" (1Tim 3:16)
  3. Every sinner must repent of their sins.
  4. That Jesus name baptism is the only biblical mode of water baptism.
  5. That the Holy Ghost is for today and is received by faith with the initial evidence of speaking in tongues.
  6. The saint will go on to strive to live a holy life, pleasing to God.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 AM
Apostolic Pentecostal

All it takes for a person to receive the Holy Ghost is for them to have faith and believe that it is for them. This is especially true if they have already repented of their sins, at least to a point.

However, I am not surprised by the fact that this is a nearly unknown incident in the life of many of these Rock 'N' Rollers and others. In the interviews that I heard Dottie Rambo give when discussing her music, she never once mentioned her Oneness Pentecostal roots. The Goodmans were another Pentecostal group, but you never heard them say very much about it. One of the few groups that have claimed the Pentecostal family were the Hensons, although the were trinitarians.

There have been other recording artists who left the Oneness Pentecostal message, and you will not see it when they have anything to say. Some of these in brief are the Rambos, the Hemphills, the McKeathens, and others. However, it only goes to show that we are indeed the best kept secret in the world.

Visit me at www.jonathandtalbot.blogspot.com.