Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > Fellowship Hall
Facebook

Notices

Fellowship Hall The place to go for Fellowship & Fun!

Old 03-11-2019, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Re: Cheerful giver.

It seems that a Pastor is only worth his salt if he has no job, no outside income, no investments, lives in a small town with a small church "thinking 15,000 in tithes annually." Any thing that looks like prosperity is a no-no. Make them hold a nine-to-5 and hold them responsible for everything in the church. "I know what will help! lets give him a goat and a bushel of flour thats the biblical thing to do!"
Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGlen View Post
My pastor owns atleast 10 rental houses, and receives into his charge just over 240K each year from our church members under the category of tithe. (Also a separate 250K comes in as offerings).
To answer your two questions: I personally choose not to set aside money just for only my pastor. I also do not give a certain percentage as offerings either. I do give cash into the offering. To my err, I probably should be more cheerful about it when I do, since God does love a cheerful giver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolic1ness View Post
It seems that a Pastor is only worth his salt if he has no job, no outside income, no investments, lives in a small town with a small church "thinking 15,000 in tithes annually." Any thing that looks like prosperity is a no-no. Make them hold a nine-to-5 and hold them responsible for everything in the church. "I know what will help! lets give him a goat and a bushel of flour thats the biblical thing to do!"

Your sarcasm, as obviously posted in response to mine, since it is the very next post, makes me almost want to vomit.

Last edited by JamesGlen; 03-11-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

There is no command to tithe food items. " not a biblical thing to do"

http://www.paganchristianity.org

Go here on tithing----->

http://www.tithing-russkelly.com/

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Unvaxxed Pureblood too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
The danger of adding to the word of God as in a money tithe is now we see a 5% guilt trip added.
Then my man, you best have everything you believe at 110%.
Seriously, the tithe bug is on the leaf. Yet, the forest is the rest of the Bible.
Rudy, what is church government look like? What exactly is the whole bishop, elders, apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers, deacons thing?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGlen View Post
Your sarcasm, as obviously posted in response to mine, since it is the very next post, makes me almost want to vomit.
Thats fine. The post I sarcastically replied to made me almost want to vomit.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa View Post
Then my man, you best have everything you believe at 110%.
Seriously, the tithe bug is on the leaf. Yet, the forest is the rest of the Bible.
Rudy, what is church government look like? What exactly is the whole bishop, elders, apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, teachers, deacons thing?
Government.

WE learn as we go.

Go here on tithing----->

If it is God's will for your illness then why are you seeking medical attention to get rid of it?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
There is no command to tithe food items. " not a biblical thing to do"
Leviticus 27:30-33
Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:

Come on 1ness, there is no command to the church.

Go here on tithing----->

Old 03-11-2019, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Come on 1ness, there is no command to the church.
you are correct.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Registered Member

Hi,
First post in this forum. I go to a tithing church.

I don't see tithing as something the apostles taught anywhere, or even records of the early church tithing. If you are honest with yourself and lay out all the scriptures about giving in the new testament, and try to find patterns, you will find the obvious: there is no tithing, it was voluntary as in the wilderness with Moises. The how-much and how-often was circumstantial to the specific needs. The recipients where the leaders and the weak among us.

This is the way I deal with it: Referring at Romans 14, we see some christians back in those days that didn't eat unclean stuff. They probably had good scripture and arguments for it. They probably used Noah story to prove that there was a universal law regarding clean/unclean food (like today's christians go back to the old testament to prove that there is universal tithing law). Paul teaches us to put up with it and be sensitive to the issue. They Lord has accepted them, why don't we? Doesn't the Spirit of God move among them too? Tithing is not a salvation issue (Giving is, it is a fruit of repentance). If they want to believe it, so be it. Many really believe it, including pastors, it is not because of filthy lucre. They have sincere believes about it.

I currently use 10% as a reference number. I do 10% of take-home income (which is not a crazy amount of money for me right now) and then increase it until I feel cheerful about it. Then I put it in the envelope as "tithing". No I don't calculate tithing of gifts or pair of jeans somebody gives me.

It is not my intention to divide the church, or create confusion, but instead to remain united and work together for salvation. I just put up with it as Paul taught and keep it to myself and my wife. The only thing I can't do because of conscience is teaching about tithing. I leave that to others.

Last edited by coksiw; 03-11-2019 at 11:02 AM.