Apostolic Friends Forum
Tab Menu 1
Go Back   Apostolic Friends Forum > The Fellowship Hall > The Homestead > Chef's Corner
Facebook

Notices

Chef's Corner Every Cook's favorite place! Post your recipes, share your cooking tips and ideas, etc.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Digging4Truth's Avatar
Digging4Truth Digging4Truth is offline
Still Figuring It Out.


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,858
What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

We are looking into growing goats and wonder if anyone has any idea what goat tastes like.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-12-2008, 09:59 AM
seguidordejesus's Avatar
seguidordejesus seguidordejesus is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Posts: 2,248
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

It's good. I think it's kind of moist when roasted. I really like it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM
deltaguitar's Avatar
deltaguitar deltaguitar is offline
Registered Member


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Flower Mound, Tx
Posts: 2,790
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
We are looking into growing goats and wonder if anyone has any idea what goat tastes like.
It is pretty good. I ate some at a Mexican guys house. He paid something like $120 for the goat and he basically got ripped off.

I have two goats in a big fence in my backyard just so I don't have to mow inside. They are the stupidest animals but they will eat every blade of grass that they can get to.

I don't think you can make much money raising goats. If you could make a profit of $15 - $25 per goat it would take a lot of goats to make any real money. It might be easier to just get a part time job.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:10 AM
tstew's Avatar
tstew tstew is offline
Mr. Stewart


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,291
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

Jamaican Curry Goat is very good.
__________________
There are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Chuck Norris lives in Houston.



Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Digging4Truth's Avatar
Digging4Truth Digging4Truth is offline
Still Figuring It Out.


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,858
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

Wow... that is good to hear.

I have been considering raising sheep for meat. I don't know why but I considered goat meat to be a "dirty animal" meat but I was amazed to find several things...

Goat is kosher.
Goat is far more healthy than the other red meats (beef, lamb etc)

Below is a chart from a webpage I found and WOW... goat even gives chicken a run for its money on saturated fats etc.
Attached Images
File Type: gif table.gif (9.0 KB, 6 views)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
tstew's Avatar
tstew tstew is offline
Mr. Stewart


 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,291
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digging4Truth View Post
Wow... that is good to hear.

I have been considering raising sheep for meat. I don't know why but I considered goat meat to be a "dirty animal" meat but I was amazed to find several things...

Goat is kosher.
Goat is far more healthy than the other red meats (beef, lamb etc)

Below is a chart from a webpage I found and WOW... goat even gives chicken a run for its money on saturated fats etc.
If you are selling goats, you will never go out of business if you are near any Jamaicans. Curry Goat is one of their staples. You can find it in any Jamaican restaurant and it is very good.
__________________
There are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Chuck Norris lives in Houston.



Either the United States will destroy ignorance, or ignorance will destroy the United States. – W.E.B. DuBois
My Countdown Counting down to: The Apocolypse
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Digging4Truth's Avatar
Digging4Truth Digging4Truth is offline
Still Figuring It Out.


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,858
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguitar View Post
It is pretty good. I ate some at a Mexican guys house. He paid something like $120 for the goat and he basically got ripped off.

I have two goats in a big fence in my backyard just so I don't have to mow inside. They are the stupidest animals but they will eat every blade of grass that they can get to.

I don't think you can make much money raising goats. If you could make a profit of $15 - $25 per goat it would take a lot of goats to make any real money. It might be easier to just get a part time job.
That is definitely true. But we are looking to raise them simply for our own consumption. We have chickens and might be adding goats soon. I met a guy this weekend in Hot Springs that has some pygmy goats that he is going to get rid of in January. We might get started then.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 AM
tamor's Avatar
tamor tamor is offline
Create Your Own Rainbows!


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Adamsville, TN
Posts: 8,492
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

The only thing I have tried was goat stew and I liked that okay.
__________________
I hate to see you frown. So wear a bag over your head until you cheer up!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Digging4Truth's Avatar
Digging4Truth Digging4Truth is offline
Still Figuring It Out.


 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 10,858
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstew View Post
If you are selling goats, you will never go out of business if you are near any Jamaicans. Curry Goat is one of their staples. You can find it in any Jamaican restaurant and it is very good.
It turns out that we Western Civilization types are the last to get on the bandwagon with these goats.

I have read that Goat meat is the most consumed red meat in the world.

And they eat shrubs, weeds, the siding on your home... anything they can get to they will eat.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Cindy's Avatar
Cindy Cindy is offline
Forever Loved Admin


 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 26,537
Re: What Does Goat Meat Taste Like?

We have goats and chickens. We have the chickens for eggs, and the goats mow our pasture.
__________________
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.
2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV

He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? Micah 6:8 KJV

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 1 John 3:2 KJV
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do Canadians Taste like? clgustaveson Canadian Flavour 14 01-13-2010 11:09 AM
Allah Meat! The latest Food Miracle Praxeas Fellowship Hall 1 07-23-2008 08:13 PM
Venison Meat Loaf jediwill83 Fellowship Hall 0 07-04-2008 10:49 AM
MY EDUCATION OF TASTE - By Pastor James L. Groce rgcraig Apostolic Articles 20 05-15-2008 02:57 AM
iNSIDE oUT iTALLIAN dIRTY rICE mEAT lOAF Ferd Fellowship Hall 2 07-21-2007 08:58 PM

 
User Infomation
Your Avatar

Latest Threads
- by Wonder
- by warrior
- by Salome

Help Support AFF!

Advertisement




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.