Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The D.A.'s Office (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   The Remission is Different from Forgiveness Myth (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=18356)

SDG 09-06-2008 09:41 PM

Re: The Remission is Different from Forgiveness My

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizpeh (Post 584307)
Prax, can't a word have more than one meaning based on context?

Of course it can ... and it happens all the time .... with words w/ multiple meanings ... i.e. "jam", "set", etc.

but the writers did not express this separation contextually .... as the word does not the multiple distinct meanings some try to force into it.

Trying to skirt around this issue .... really hurts any intellectual honesty in the broader scope of a soteriological debate.

Praxeas 09-06-2008 09:46 PM

Remission according to dictionary.com
1.the act of remitting. 2.pardon; forgiveness, as of sins or offenses. 3.abatement or diminution, as of diligence, labor, intensity, etc. 4.the relinquishment of a payment, obligation, etc. 5.Medicine/Medical. a.a temporary or permanent decrease or subsidence of manifestations of a disease. b.a period during which such a decrease or subsidence occurs: The patient's leukemia was in remission.

Praxeas 09-06-2008 09:46 PM

Thayers
Thayer Definition:
1) release from bondage or imprisonment
2) forgiveness or pardon, of sins (letting them go as if they had never been committed), remission of the penalty

SDG 09-07-2008 07:18 AM

Bump

freeatlast 09-07-2008 05:12 PM

Seems no one wants to post a reply, backed by solid scripture, that you are wrong Dan.

That would lead me to believe our OP doctrine that forgivness only happens at water baptism ( and then only if you speak in tongues ) is not supported by by proper exegesis of the scripture.

Felicity 09-07-2008 05:34 PM

Just jumping in here to say........

Don't know about the rest of you, but my sins were forgiven and remitted at repentance and they keep getting forgiven/remitted every time I've asked since the first time. And thank God for that! :bliss

freeatlast 09-07-2008 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felicity (Post 584608)

Don't know about the rest of you, but my sins were forgiven at repentance and they keep getting forgiven every time I've asked since the first time. And thank God for that! :bliss

Hey , you old one stepper...good to see you back around these parts.

Felicity 09-07-2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeatlast (Post 584610)
Hey , you old one stepper...good to see you back around these parts.

Watch out who you're calling "OLD", buddy. :club Hehe!

I believe in the essentiality of all 3 'steps'! Never ever doubt that! :scripture

:)

Rhoni 09-07-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felicity (Post 584608)

Don't know about the rest of you, but my sins were forgiven and remitted at repentance and they keep getting forgiven/remitted every time I've asked since the first time. And thank God for that! :bliss

It doesn't make sense that God would forgive us and yet hold that sin against us until baptism which for many of us was years after we first repented. And if it's true that our sin isn't remitted until baptism, then multitudes of trinitarian Christians are still unregenerated sinners even though they've been Spirit filled. Because according to many OPs, their baptism isn't valid or recognized by God since they weren't baptized in the name of Jesus.

Something is wrong with this picture.

To me, if your sin isn't remitted then forgiveness is basically useless. What good is forgiveness if the record of sin is still being held against you?

Good post Felicity and it is scripturally sound.

Rhoni 09-07-2008 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felicity (Post 584612)
I edited my post. You caught it before I finished the edit.

Watch out who you're calling "OLD", buddy. :club Hehe!

I believe in the essentiality of all 3 steps! Never ever doubt that! :scripture

:)

Felicity,

While I appreciate your decision to go back to the UPCI way of life, you were not/have not always posted the essentiality of all three steps. If my memory serves me correctly you were raised PCI and until re-uniting with UPCI did not believe in the essentiality of all three steps. Correct me if you think I misunderstood your posts for the past 5+ years.

Blessings, Rhoni