Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sons Inheriting Churches from Fathers $$$ (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=54417)

Nicodemus1968 03-15-2021 09:03 AM

Re: Sons Inheriting Churches from Fathers $$$

Quote:

Originally Posted by Originalist (Post 1601869)
And this bestows ownership and dictatorial powers upon him? How is this Biblical?

Not at all. I understand just as you do that they’re are some Pastors who feel the need to be authoritarian in their ministry. I have recently been taught and now fully believe that there is 3 ways for a Pastor to lead.

1- You can lead as a King
2- You can lead as a Priest
3- You can lead as a Shepherd

Now with the topic at hand, I do believe that it is the Pastors responsibility to seek God for the exchange. I believe they should seek counsel from their elders. Even Paul as an Apostle charged Timothy with the work.

In this situation I don't believe this Pastor was acting as a Dictator. Other Pastors were involved, the saints of the church were involved, nothing was done in secret.

returnman 03-15-2021 10:33 AM

I have posted in the past regarding NT church government that includes deacons and elders. Not just a formality of such that we see in most oneness churches. The typical oneness church practices that the pastor is like a CEO but also with limitations from board members. This scenario presented on this thread with or without name disclosure is practiced often and at times even when the receiving son shows little or no signs of desire for ministry until well into adulthood. My personal belief based on observation is that said current pastor assumes the passing of the torch at quite a young age as long as the son is available. This also reminds me of a quote I heard years ago from an aging pastor....."When I die or step down, sons name omitted, will be the pastor of this church, if your not ok with that then you can leave."

I think it was the desire for this pastor that his son have the torch passed to him before, during the down years and afterwards. The real question, if this is really the way it was intended and there was actual church government without fear or repercussion would there be considerations for someone else? Maybe there was, does anyone know?

Tithesmeister 03-15-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftcoast1 (Post 1601783)
Does he have a board with voting privileges made up of members who ATTEND his church?

This is an important concern thatleftcoast1 has brought up. I have noticed that there is a trend whereby other pastors are appointed to the board of a church. Sometimes from several states away. It seems to be designed for increased control by the pulpit faction, while diminishing the influence of the local members.

Tithesmeister 03-15-2021 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftcoast1 (Post 1601783)
Does he have a board with voting privileges made up of members who ATTEND his church?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJJJ (Post 1601765)
And how dare Jess give it to someone else and not you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 (Post 1601779)
I copied and txted your post to an elder that is good friends with Bro. Jesse Parker. In fact, this elder is the one that started the church in Lagrande and handed over the reins to Bro. Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bro Flame (Post 1601788)

There is a rather large church I know of in Florida where the elder and his wife turned their congregation over to another preacher and his wife some two years ago. This preacher nor his wife are related to them, but they are good people that will carry on what the elder taught and stood for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Originalist (Post 1601834)
How did it become HIS possession in the first place to be bestowed upon someone else at his will?

This is a brief compilation of comments that indicate the extent that the church is a possession of the pastor. Which is a pretty good example of the question I posed:

Is the pastor God’s gift to the church? (Which is the case according to scripture.)

Or maybe is the church God’s gift to the pastor? (As many, including pastors, seem to believe.)

leftcoast1 03-15-2021 10:53 PM

Many times you will him them say, "this is my church and no one is going to come and steal it." I understand the sentiment if you sacrificed to build something but who's kingdom are you really building?

leftcoast1 03-16-2021 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJJJ (Post 1601856)
Sounds good. Apparently lefty just woke up, not knowing anything about La Grande except what..... someone told him, researched James P, that many dont even know exists, and began a thread?

Coincidence? I think not.

The charges he brings about that assembly are false though. There are good men that are on the board, the church is having good solid growth, people are getting the HG, sounds like God is pleased with the transition...

Is lefty going to withdraw his false statements about the assembly and J Parker practicing nepotism?

Random......

"Snort...."

Who does the board consist of? Members from the local church or hand selected pastors which are more less a rubber stamp for critical decisions...such as installing your son as pastor.

Originalist 03-16-2021 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tithesmeister (Post 1601883)
This is an important concern thatleftcoast1 has brought up. I have noticed that there is a trend whereby other pastors are appointed to the board of a church. Sometimes from several states away. It seems to be designed for increased control by the pulpit faction, while diminishing the influence of the local members.

Yes, we must obey our leaders without question.

loran adkins 03-16-2021 08:07 AM

Wow this whole thread sounds out of left field by left coast. I don't know personally Jessy Parker, but I do know very personally his brother Joe Parker. Both of them started a church with UPCI and both have left the UPCI for different reasons. The fact remains that one thing that is very wrong is that until just the last ten years both of the Parkers churches were not rich and most of the church finances were because the pastor worked and the tithe went into running the church and not into the pastors pocket.

I would go as far as to say that that is the case still today. And even if Jessie has been full time in ministry I would go as far as to say he is in no way rich. Yes he may live in a nice house but who paid for it him, with his tree cutting business or the church?

Regardless the pastor does have the right to put up anyone he wants as pastor to take over the church he spent to much time and money putting together.

Originalist 03-16-2021 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loran adkins (Post 1601894)
Wow this whole thread sounds out of left field by left coast. I don't know personally Jessy Parker, but I do know very personally his brother Joe Parker. Both of them started a church with UPCI and both have left the UPCI for different reasons. The fact remains that one thing that is very wrong is that until just the last ten years both of the Parkers churches were not rich and most of the church finances were because the pastor worked and the tithe went into running the church and not into the pastors pocket.

I would go as far as to say that that is the case still today. And even if Jessie has been full time in ministry I would go as far as to say he is in no way rich. Yes he may live in a nice house but who paid for it him, with his tree cutting business or the church?

Regardless the pastor does have the right to put up anyone he wants as pastor to take over the church he spent to much time and money putting together.

Certainly, anyone he SUGGESTS should be considered, but there is no inherent "right" in him choosing his successor. After all, HE did not build the church. The MEMBERS built the church and should have the final say. This almost pastor-worship in the Apostolic churches is disgusting. I for one am ECSTATIC to be out from underneath it.

aegsm76 03-16-2021 08:43 AM

There is a theory in Apostolic circles that you show your reverence to God by showing reverence to your pastor.
While this is not a bad thing, it has sometimes led to pastor worship.
I am old enough to remember when the prominent UPCI Bible School taught that as a pastor, you should not have the best house/car/clothes in the church.
As it would hinder your ministry.