Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Library (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What are you reading currently? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=946)

bkstokes 03-14-2008 06:39 PM

Re: What are you reading currently?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 413957)
I have a problem with Sproul i.e. preterism (but that's just a personal thing).

When you say "progressive dispensationalism" what do you mean? I pretty well go along with what has been taught as dispensationalsim over the year by Clarence Larkin and C.I. Scofield.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-us%26sa%3DX

If ya'll want some good and easy to understand thoughts about dispensationalism read Kevin J. Conner's books (he is against dispensationalism). He really brings out some arguments that I have never heard stumped.

A_PoMo that is one thing that I didn't like about my MDIV expereince. I had to read books by people who made things too complicated. It's like Tozer once said, "If your straining and sweating while your analyzing the Word your most likely doing it through the flesh and not in the Spirit."

Sam 03-14-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 413952)
...I am in the process now of re-reading Gordon Lindsay's book "Prayer That Moves Mountains." I have had these books for over 40 years and every so often I re-read them....

Finished that last night. Time to start on something new.

A_PoMo 03-14-2008 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkstokes (Post 414779)
If ya'll want some good and easy to understand thoughts about dispensationalism read Kevin J. Conner's books (he is against dispensationalism). He really brings out some arguments that I have never heard stumped.

A_PoMo that is one thing that I didn't like about my MDIV expereince. I had to read books by people who made things too complicated. It's like Tozer once said, "If your straining and sweating while your analyzing the Word your most likely doing it through the flesh and not in the Spirit."

I'll check out Conner. I have questions about dispensationalism.

Yeah, I figure the more complicated and convoluted the explanation the bigger the holes in the argument tend to be. At least that's what I keep telling myself. That way I don't feel nearly as dumb as I look. :)

Sam 03-14-2008 06:52 PM

The idea behind dispensationalism is that God always has had one way to be approached. That way is by faith. However, that faith may have been expressed in different ways at different times. At one time circumcision was a visible sign of the covenant but it no longer is. At one time animals were sacrificed but no longer are.

bkstokes 03-14-2008 06:57 PM

Conner presents that all are saved by the blood of the Lamb.

bkstokes 03-14-2008 07:00 PM

Jim thanks for the Magee book. It is good. I would have liked it better if he would not have used the word person (Reeves has spoiled me).

Sam 03-14-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkstokes (Post 414791)
Conner presents that all are saved by the blood of the Lamb.

Yes, Jesus is the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
All before His death looked forward to it for salvation.
All after His death look back to it for salvation.
That's why some dispensationalists have no problem saying that when the animal sacrifices are reinstated in the future kingdom age they are done as a memorial to the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

bkstokes 03-14-2008 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 366497)
Celebration of Disciplines.. So good.

LSAT prep book. ;)

Rachel you look like one of the Showalters. Are you related?

bkstokes 03-14-2008 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 414795)
Yes, Jesus is the lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
All before His death looked forward to it for salvation.
All after His death look back to it for salvation.
That's why some dispensationalists have no problem saying that when the animal sacrifices are reinstated in the future kingdom age they are done as a memorial to the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross.

Jim my man -- You come from a Scoffield generation. I own a Scoffield Bible, but I haven't used it in about 10 yrs.

A_PoMo 03-14-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 414795)

My prof, a staunch dispensationalist (not hyper-disp though), says that of all arguments against disp. this is the one that has the longest legs. He argued against it, but said it was debatable.