Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Music Room (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Contemporary Christian Music (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=27457)

Jermyn Davidson 11-16-2009 04:13 PM

Contemporary Christian Music
 
Is a genre of music that is in fact of the world, but with strong Christian lyrics.

If this is not true, how would you describe it?



Would you label Audio Adrenaline as Christian Rock or Contemporary Christian Music? One or the other or both?

DC Talk?

Point of Grace?


Are there other Holy Ghost filled Apostolics who have a conviction AGAINST CCM?

Christian Rock?

Christian Rap?

Christian Jazz?


There are some well meaning relatively new members of my church who lately have been RELENTLESS in trying to get me to see the error of my ways in listening to Christian Rap.


However, I am trying to choose my words wisely with these folks because I really don't want to say or do something to cause them to stumble or to doubt the work that God is doing and the direction God is taking them in their lives.



Maybe I should be convicted about Christian Rap, but I lump THIS GENRE OF MUSIC in the same category as CCM.

Am I misguided?

Apocrypha 11-16-2009 04:14 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Its a clean alternative to music that promotes sinful behavior. Its a neutral issue and should be left to the personal convictions of the individual.

Jermyn Davidson 11-16-2009 04:22 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocrypha (Post 834730)
Its a clean alternative to music that promotes sinful behavior. Its a neutral issue and should be left to the personal convictions of the individual.

Well, one of them is making the holiness argument, about coming out from the world and being separated.

He has a strong point with the way that many of the "Christian" rappers dress.

However, I never watch these guys on tv and barely watch tv anyway.

For what I listen to, I find it very encouraging spiritually.


The holiness argument is so hard to discuss without the potential of discouraging or destroying the vital workings of the Lord in their lives, through their thought processes.

Holiness is vital and I understand that.

But I don't see any Contemporary Christian Music that is DEFINITELY CHRISTIAN in theme as a violation of Biblical holiness.


They keep bringing it up around me.

I am tinking that maybe I should consider avoiding them for a while.

I don't want to cause confusion at all in any one's life or mind.

Apocrypha 11-16-2009 04:29 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson (Post 834731)
Well, one of them is making the holiness argument, about coming out from the world and being separated.

He has a strong point with the way that many of the "Christian" rappers dress.

However, I never watch these guys on tv and barely watch tv anyway.

For what I listen to, I find it very encouraging spiritually.


The holiness argument is so hard to discuss without the potential of discouraging or destroying the vital workings of the Lord in their lives, through their thought processes.

Holiness is vital and I understand that.

But I don't see any Contemporary Christian Music that is DEFINITELY CHRISTIAN in theme as a violation of Biblical holiness.


They keep bringing it up around me.

I am tinking that maybe I should consider avoiding them for a while.

I don't want to cause confusion at all in any one's life or mind.

The entire usage of the word 'holiness' in the NT is tricky. It actually ties more into the english word "sanctification" which is a process, not a state of being which changes the entire meaning of it.

http://strongsnumbers.com/greek/38.htm

RandyWayne 11-16-2009 05:51 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
When I was growing up there was exactly three acceptable styles of Christian music: Southern Gospel, (choir) praise, and hymns. Thankfully most of the people who hold to this strong opinion are dying off.

At least in some church's there are more then TWO kinds! It really does remind me of this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2230/...97c01790_o.jpg

Apocrypha 11-16-2009 06:20 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Don't touch the Lords annointed, they are on a mission from Gawd :)

Norman 11-16-2009 06:50 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
I don't like a lot of contemporary music, but I have no reason to say it is wrong.
:smack

*AQuietPlace* 11-16-2009 06:55 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
"Well, one of them is making the holiness argument, about coming out from the world and being separated."

This argument is used a lot when people want to try to impose their opinions on other people.

This area is an area of liberty. If the lyrics don't glorify evil, then there is no Biblical basis against them.

Arphaxad 11-16-2009 06:58 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
at one time or another any form of Christian music was contemporary and railed against.

:doggyrun

Baron1710 11-16-2009 07:05 PM

Re: Contemporary Christian Music
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyn Davidson (Post 834728)
Is a genre of music that is in fact of the world, but with strong Christian lyrics.

If this is not true, how would you describe it?



Would you label Audio Adrenaline as Christian Rock or Contemporary Christian Music? One or the other or both?

DC Talk?

Point of Grace?


Are there other Holy Ghost filled Apostolics who have a conviction AGAINST CCM?

Christian Rock?

Christian Rap?

Christian Jazz?


There are some well meaning relatively new members of my church who lately have been RELENTLESS in trying to get me to see the error of my ways in listening to Christian Rap.


However, I am trying to choose my words wisely with these folks because I really don't want to say or do something to cause them to stumble or to doubt the work that God is doing and the direction God is taking them in their lives.



Maybe I should be convicted about Christian Rap, but I lump THIS GENRE OF MUSIC in the same category as CCM.

Am I misguided?

Haven't been too involved in the CCM music scene for a long time, used to listen to a lot of different Christian Rap (PID, SFC, D-Boy, MCRG, Stephen Wiley, Dc Talk) not so much anymore. My kids pretty much determine the music in this house. A lot of country, pop, and punk. I no longer have a say in music. Rockin' the beer gut is my new favorite.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.