Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Games, Books & Entertainment (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=48072)

BeardlessBob 06-08-2015 01:30 PM

Games, Books & Entertainment
 
So, let me start off by saying that I've been Apostolic for coming up on four years.
I've got a lot of stuff I've always enjoyed as entertainment about which my conscience has been gnawing at me as of late. The past couple years really.
I threw away four-hundred dollars worth of fantasy themed books as well as some games I thought may be displeasing to God.
A few years later now, I find myself collecting more. Conscience not slack, but feel unable to keep from making little purchases here and there. Mostly digital things, not hard copy.
Right now I'm on Steam (a game platform software) and I'm looking at this game called Fallout. It's a post apocalyptic survival/roleplay style game. It's rated Mature, primarily because of blood and gore, plus a few other things that from my experience can be avoided if you don't want to play as a "bad guy".
I haven't bought it yet, for my conscience sake.
Still, I really don't know how to kick this. Part of me loves these things and feels that as much as some of the content is "wrong" I know my intents are not to do wrong. The stories, characters, the open worlds to explore, I love these things... but the other part of me feels I'm dishonoring God by enjoying it and that I'm a fool for partaking in something obviously produced in the world.

Idk, I just want the thoughts of my brothers and sisters.

Evang.Benincasa 06-08-2015 01:36 PM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
I don't know what it is your doing, because I know nothing about gaming. There is a brother who comes to a Bible study we have in downtown Fort Lauderdale who says he witnesses through World of Warcraft. Sounds kind of odd, but who am I to judge it, when I have no idea what it is exactly. You on the other hand sound like you are well versed in this area, where I am not, so can you explain the pros and cons of what you are doing to help me understand what exactly you are involved in? If you have the urge to kick the habit, you are the one feeling the conviction, or if not conviction you are seeing something that maybe others may not be seeing. So, proceed, spoon feed me on this? :)

KeptByTheWord 06-09-2015 10:11 AM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
I am guessing this was a "drive-by" post... lol

Evang.Benincasa 06-09-2015 11:33 AM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1378110)
I am guessing this was a "drive-by" post... lol

I guess he wants to keep his post numbers low? :heeheehee

KeptByTheWord 06-09-2015 12:10 PM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa (Post 1378127)
I guess he wants to keep his post numbers low? :heeheehee

Lol... it seems to me that when people come here and post their problem on their first or second visit, they rarely come back. Don't know why, maybe we scare them off, I don't know, lol!

ApostolicKitty 06-09-2015 01:26 PM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeardlessBob (Post 1377924)
So, let me start off by saying that I've been Apostolic for coming up on four years.
I've got a lot of stuff I've always enjoyed as entertainment about which my conscience has been gnawing at me as of late. The past couple years really.
I threw away four-hundred dollars worth of fantasy themed books as well as some games I thought may be displeasing to God.
A few years later now, I find myself collecting more. Conscience not slack, but feel unable to keep from making little purchases here and there. Mostly digital things, not hard copy.
Right now I'm on Steam (a game platform software) and I'm looking at this game called Fallout. It's a post apocalyptic survival/roleplay style game. It's rated Mature, primarily because of blood and gore, plus a few other things that from my experience can be avoided if you don't want to play as a "bad guy".
I haven't bought it yet, for my conscience sake.
Still, I really don't know how to kick this. Part of me loves these things and feels that as much as some of the content is "wrong" I know my intents are not to do wrong. The stories, characters, the open worlds to explore, I love these things... but the other part of me feels I'm dishonoring God by enjoying it and that I'm a fool for partaking in something obviously produced in the world.

Idk, I just want the thoughts of my brothers and sisters.

Prayer and fasting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa (Post 1377925)
I don't know what it is your doing, because I know nothing about gaming. There is a brother who comes to a Bible study we have in downtown Fort Lauderdale who says he witnesses through World of Warcraft. Sounds kind of odd, but who am I to judge it, when I have no idea what it is exactly. You on the other hand sound like you are well versed in this area, where I am not, so can you explain the pros and cons of what you are doing to help me understand what exactly you are involved in? If you have the urge to kick the habit, you are the one feeling the conviction, or if not conviction you are seeing something that maybe others may not be seeing. So, proceed, spoon feed me on this? :)

You mean... World of Witchcraft.

TJJJ 06-09-2015 02:45 PM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ApostolicKitty (Post 1378144)
Prayer and fasting.



You mean... World of Witchcraft.

You sure got that right.

World of Warcraft is the spawn of Dungeons and Dragons. Just in digital form.

That stuff is pure witchcraft pure and simple.

We spent some time casting devils out of a woman who got possessed when playing that W of W. Bad stuff.

ApostolicKitty 06-09-2015 03:34 PM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJJJ (Post 1378150)
You sure got that right.

World of Warcraft is the spawn of Dungeons and Dragons. Just in digital form.

That stuff is pure witchcraft pure and simple.

We spent some time casting devils out of a woman who got possessed when playing that W of W. Bad stuff.


Thank God for deliverance!

Servant's <3 06-09-2015 04:50 PM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
While I readily admit video games can be a waste of time and they don't help your spiritual walk, they are not witchcraft. World of Warcraft is not witchcraft. I hope you all were being sarcastic.

I play video games from time to time. There is nothing inherently wrong or immoral about playing video games. It is a form of entertainment and just like any entertainment one can go overboard and spend/waste too much time doing it. Video games are no more harmful than TV. It has been proven that some of them are far more educational and beneficial than watching TV as well.

Some video games are inappropriate and have a vast amount of inappropriate material in them that can hinder you. Not all video games are created equal.

As for Fallout, I am fully aware of what fallout is and what it entails... it isn't my particular cup of tea.... If the blood and gore can be turned off I would definitely advise doing so... I would not say Fallout is inherently evil although there are some things in it that to be honest I would very much question if a parent should let their child play it.... (then again I'm not a parent so I cannot speak from that standpoint) the game has a mature rating for a reason other than blood and gore... I'm somewhat confident there is cursing in it.

As my youth pastor would say, you put garbage in what do you expect to come out?

If you feel this game could be a problem for you, by all means do not play it. Some people can get addicted to video games or can be adversely affected by content in said game hence people should err on the side of caution.

But, no I would not say video games are inherently evil.

Evang.Benincasa 06-09-2015 04:52 PM

Re: Games, Books & Entertainment
 
Dungeon and Dragons? World of Witchcraft? I live in Fort Lauderdale, games are the least their problems down here. :heeheehee

I wish God called me to the land of cornbread and butter milk, or honey butter and scones.

Someone has to preach in Nineveh.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.