Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Are There Co Equal God Persons? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=54571)

Michael The Disciple 10-28-2021 06:52 AM

Are There Co Equal God Persons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WitsQDexCpE

Originalist 10-28-2021 08:33 AM

Re: Are There Co Equal God Persons?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple (Post 1605905)

It is so confusing. On the one hand, the Athanasian Creed emphatically declares that to view the persons of the Trinity as three individual beings is blasphemy. Yet, most Trinitarians do ascribe attributes on beings to EACH person of the Trinity.

Michael The Disciple 10-28-2021 10:55 AM

Confusing indeed. The Catholic Faith forbids them from SAYING the things they are supposed to BELIEVE.

diakonos 10-28-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple (Post 1605910)
Confusing indeed. The Catholic Faith forbids them from SAYING the things they are supposed to BELIEVE.

What?

Originalist 10-29-2021 09:46 AM

Quote:

They basically forbid pointing out the clear contradictions of their teaching. Protestant Trinitarian scholars do the same, "Yes, it is contradictory but you will go to hell if you don't affirm it!"

Evang.Benincasa 10-29-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Originalist (Post 1605923)
They basically forbid pointing out the clear contradictions of their teaching. Protestant Trinitarian scholars do the same, "Yes, it is contradictory but you will go to hell if you don't affirm it!"

Every denomination, schism or cult have prohibitions against pointing out clear contradictions of doctrines.

Tithesmeister 10-29-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evang.Benincasa (Post 1605929)
Every denomination, schism or cult have prohibitions against pointing out clear contradictions of doctrines.

Truth

jfrog 10-31-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

The issue with Trinitarianism is that they have the word person well defined, but refuse to apply it to the One Being that is God even though it would otherwise be applicable. Ultimately it should end up as them having both 3 persons and 1 person (not a contradiction as it's in different ways and different respects) but it's interesting nonetheless.

The problem with Oneness is that they have crafted a definition of person to exclude the Father, Son and Holy Spirit from being defined as one (which is why you find manifestations/personas/etc as a term to describe those 3 in oneness circles).

There's alot of sematics going on here (not only but alot).

So let's start with defining our term, what is your definition of person and why don't the Father, Son and Holy Spirit qualify as persons?

Tithesmeister 10-31-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrog (Post 1605942)
The issue with Trinitarianism is that they have the word person well defined, but refuse to apply it to the One Being that is God even though it would otherwise be applicable. Ultimately it should end up as them having both 3 persons and 1 person (not a contradiction as it's in different ways and different respects) but it's interesting nonetheless.

The problem with Oneness is that they have crafted a definition of person to exclude the Father, Son and Holy Spirit from being defined as one (which is why you find manifestations/personas/etc as a term to describe those 3 in oneness circles).

There's alot of sematics going on here (not only but alot).

So let's start with defining our term, what is your definition of person and why don't the Father, Son and Holy Spirit qualify as persons?

Good idea. A person is a human being.

noun
per·​son | \ ˈpər-sᵊn \
Definition
1 : HUMAN, INDIVIDUAL —sometimes used in combination especially by those who prefer to avoid man in compounds applicable to both sexes

I’m not trying to be hard on the trinitarians, but it seems to me that there is a fundamental problem with the doctrine. There are not three persons in the Godhead. There is only one person. Aaaand the fullness of the Godhead dwelleth in Him. God is a Spirit (by definition not a person). The Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is obviously not a person, but a Spirit. Jesus is the only person, and the fullness of the Godhead dwelleth in Him, bodily.

coksiw 11-01-2021 08:47 AM

Being a trinitarian minister before, and also listening to some others, they may tell you all the fancy words they want but in practice, they visualize it in their mind in two ways:

* There are three forms of the same God (some books even use the three states of water, gas, liquid and ice, as an illustration). These people are truly oneness in practice, modalist of some sort, and worship one God.
* There are three persons with three different wills, and intellect, but the same nature. These ones are basically tritheist. They say, in an attempt to correct the other trinitarian brethren that you should worship God as a trinity.

When I was trinitarian, I remember I would go Oneness in my worship without even noticing, but when I attempted to truly think it as a trinity to be correct, I remember struggling to worship and feel his presence, and a wrestling with the Spirit about it. It was very confusing, I still remember that to this day. Outside my worship, I contended for the Trinity, and denounced Oneness as false, I even contended in person with a Oneness missionary.