Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Trinitarians Who Baptize in Jesus Name (http://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=54430)

Bro Flame 03-30-2021 01:07 PM

Trinitarians Who Baptize in Jesus Name

Have you ever met any?

I was conversing with an evangelist earlier today via Facebook messenger and she basically said she was Trinitarian, but that she had been baptized in the name of Jesus at an Apostolic church, and that she believed and preached that baptism was to be done in water and in the name of Jesus. She also implied that both Apostolics and Trinitarians believe that salvation is solely in Jesus.

I've come across a few self-proclaiming Trinitarians that baptize in the name of Jesus. My Pastor's brother use to preach at a small Baptist church. My Pastor got to talking with his brother and eventually got his brother to see baptism in the name of Jesus. He accepted that part, but never took heed to the rest of it. This man doesn't preach anymore and has nothing whatsoever to do with church.

I went to school with a very nice young lady that attended a non-denominational church that was fairly large. She said they were "new style Pentecost", which I guess was her hipster way of saying Charismatic. They believed in the Trinity, baptized by full immersion in the name of Jesus, but had a Charismatic-type doctrine when it came to the Holy Ghost and the spiritual gifts. This young lady and her husband have moved away now and I think they do some missionary and evangelistic work.

Michael The Disciple 03-30-2021 03:33 PM

Re: Trinitarians Who Baptize in Jesus Name

I know for certain Faith Assembly from Warsaw Indiana pastored by the late Hobart Freeman baptized in Jesus name. They had numerous house Churches that followed them in doctrine. They continued in Protestant new birth understanding and the Trinity.

After Bro. Freemans death most if not all these groups disappeared. The last one I know that was still going was Pastored by Tim Neely in Goshen Indiana.

At least through the 70's Bethesda Christian Church in Detroit Pastored by James Lee Beale baptized in Jesus name. They actually taught Acts 2:38 as the new birth. They continued in Trinitarianism. His mother was instrumental in the early latter rain movement. He distanced himself from Oneness doctrine.

Dale Huffman founded a Charismatic Church in Huber Heights Ohio in the 70's. I attended there a few times. In a discussion we had he told me he believed in the Trinity but that baptism in Jesus name was how he baptized.

Michael The Disciple 03-30-2021 05:23 PM

Christ Gospel Church in Jeffersonville Ind. Pentecostal Trinitarians that baptize in Jesus name. Last I knew very strict "standards".

Bro Flame 03-31-2021 07:35 AM

Most strait-laced Holiness people I know of (whether they be Independent Holiness, Holiness Baptist, or Wesleyan Methodist) seem to be hard against Jesus Name. They are Trinitarian all the way.

Barb 03-31-2021 09:39 PM

Donnie McClurkin, singer, songwriter, pastor of Perfecting Faith Church in Freeport, NYÖ

He was baptized several years ago by Bishop Fred Rubin of the Church Of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thoí the doctrine for Perfecting is that one is saved at repentance/confession of faith, under the subject of baptism it reads that Acts 2:38 is the formulaÖ

Bro Flame 04-01-2021 10:22 AM

It's kind of confusing how someone can see baptism in Jesus Name as being Biblical without acknowledging the Oneness of God.

LOVE JESUS 04-01-2021 11:00 PM

I would love to see the Oneness and Trinity come together. They have been so divided for 100 years. Why can't they baptize in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost in Jesus Name?

Nicodemus1968 04-02-2021 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS (Post 1602204)
I would love to see the Oneness and Trinity come together. They have been so divided for 100 years. Why can't they baptize in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost in Jesus Name?

Because One God believers and Trinitarians do NOT worship the same God.

Originalist 04-02-2021 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 (Post 1602205)
Because One God believers and Trinitarians do NOT worship the same God.

That is a false statement. The fact that multiple members in both camps have received the gift of the Holy Ghost proves they do worship the same God. Nobody, including Apostolics, has a perfect understanding of God.

Bro Flame 04-02-2021 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS (Post 1602204)

Oneness and Trinitarians have different doctrines. There's so many differences we could decipher, but the primary one is that Oneness and Trinitarian people have varying views on God and who He is.

It's not just the "baptismal formula" as an issue. Even the Trinitarian Pentecostals today (who are basically Charismatics in disguise) don't believe the Holy Ghost is necessary, and even if they do, they don't teach that you have to speak in tongues as the initial sign.

Bro Flame 04-02-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Originalist (Post 1602206)
That is a false statement. The fact that multiple members in both camps have received the gift of the Holy Ghost proves they do worship the same God. Nobody, including Apostolics, has a perfect understanding of God.

I can semi-agree with you. I would say that Apostolic/Oneness Christians have a better understanding of God over Trinitarians.

There are multiple Trinitarian denominations that believe in the spiritual gifts. Their doctrines on the Holy Ghost is all over the map though. Being Trinitarian, they believe the Holy Ghost is the third person in the Godhead, and they typically believe someone "receives the Spirit" at conversion (or repentance). Any further manifestation of the Spirit in the believer's life (such as the operation of spiritual gifts, something which isn't deemed necessary) is viewed as a releasing of the Spirit already within the Christian.

I know many Christians that received the baptism with the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in other tongues, when they were attending Trinitarian churches. An elder minister in our church that passed a few years ago pastored a Holiness Baptist church for years. He received the Holy Ghost in a Holiness Baptist church. They were very strict, but he saw the truth of Jesus Name well into his sixties. He was rebaptized and embraced the Jesus Name doctrine. A similar story centers on an older woman I know that received the Holy Ghost in the Church of God back during the time when that denomination preached hell fire and brimstone. She began to pray and God brought her into the glorious light and she's been a full-fledged Apostolic for decades.

Even though it is sometimes tough to swallow, I don't believe everyone in Trinitarian churches receive the same Holy Ghost that Jesus Name people do. This is partly because they have a misunderstanding of who God is, and their denominations teaches false doctrine. These people might speak in tongues and operate in spiritual matters, but they deny Biblical doctrines as heresy. It's hard for me to believe that these people have the same Holy Ghost we have. Now, God could still be dealing with them, but if they continue to deny Him, I do believe their "manifestations" will eventually turn counterfeit.

I do know that not everyone in an Apostolic church as the genuine Holy Ghost, either. Every tongue-talker isn't legit, no matter what church they go to.

Nicodemus1968 04-02-2021 08:29 AM

Quote:

How is it false?

Do trinitarians worship Jesus Christ as the ONE true God? Or, do they worship him as a second person in the trinity?

John 8:24
[24] I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

Tongue talking or not, unless you believe and live for Jesus and him alone, we donít serve the same God.

Nicodemus1968 04-02-2021 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bro Flame (Post 1602209)
I can semi-agree with you. I would say that Apostolic/Oneness Christians have a better understanding of God over Trinitarians.

There are multiple Trinitarian denominations that believe in the spiritual gifts. Their doctrines on the Holy Ghost is all over the map though. Being Trinitarian, they believe the Holy Ghost is the third person in the Godhead, and they typically believe someone "receives the Spirit" at conversion (or repentance). Any further manifestation of the Spirit in the believer's life (such as the operation of spiritual gifts, something which isn't deemed necessary) is viewed as a releasing of the Spirit already within the Christian.

I know many Christians that received the baptism with the Holy Ghost, evidenced by speaking in other tongues, when they were attending Trinitarian churches. An elder minister in our church that passed a few years ago pastored a Holiness Baptist church for years. He received the Holy Ghost in a Holiness Baptist church. They were very strict, but he saw the truth of Jesus Name well into his sixties. He was rebaptized and embraced the Jesus Name doctrine. A similar story centers on an older woman I know that received the Holy Ghost in the Church of God back during the time when that denomination preached hell fire and brimstone. She began to pray and God brought her into the glorious light and she's been a full-fledged Apostolic for decades.

Even though it is sometimes tough to swallow, I don't believe everyone in Trinitarian churches receive the same Holy Ghost that Jesus Name people do. This is partly because they have a misunderstanding of who God is, and their denominations teaches false doctrine. These people might speak in tongues and operate in spiritual matters, but they deny Biblical doctrines as heresy. It's hard for me to believe that these people have the same Holy Ghost we have. Now, God could still be dealing with them, but if they continue to deny Him, I do believe their "manifestations" will eventually turn counterfeit.

I do know that not everyone in an Apostolic church as the genuine Holy Ghost, either. Every tongue-talker isn't legit, no matter what church they go to.

Receiving the Holy Ghost in a building is wonderful doesnít matter if itís in a church building or in a park service. The fact is, when that person receives the gift, they believe Jesus is God! They donít believe in 3 separate, co equal, co eternal gods up in heaven.

Nicodemus1968 04-02-2021 08:40 AM

https://youtu.be/lyGbol-YUH0

Skip to minute 40.

Bro. Bernard is in a debate with a man that believes in 3 gods. And Bro. Bernard says, we worship the same God. The Trinitarian corrects him on that statement.

Originalist 04-02-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

There is only one Holy Ghost. Either they received him or they didn't.

LOVE JESUS 04-02-2021 12:26 PM

Quote:

Thank you Brother. You are so right. I have plenty of friends and relatives in both beliefs. I would NEVER say they don't worship the same God.

mont.preterist 04-02-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 (Post 1602212)
https://youtu.be/lyGbol-YUH0

Skip to minute 40.

Bro. Bernard is in a debate with a man that believes in 3 gods. And Bro. Bernard says, we worship the same God. The Trinitarian corrects him on that statement.

Now that is an interesting comment from a trinitarian.

Originalist 04-03-2021 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mont.preterist (Post 1602222)

The man does not confess a belief in 3 gods.

Originalist 04-03-2021 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 (Post 1602211)
Receiving the Holy Ghost in a building is wonderful doesnít matter if itís in a church building or in a park service. The fact is, when that person receives the gift, they believe Jesus is God! They donít believe in 3 separate, co equal, co eternal gods up in heaven.

Most people who receive the Holy Ghost are not at that point even thinking in the depth you assert concerning the nature of the godhead. They are seeking the Holy Ghost because they have repented, believed on the lordship of Jesus the Son of God, and want to be empowered to live a life that pleases God.

Originalist 04-03-2021 08:22 AM

Quote:

Let's muddy the waters even further....

Quote:

1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus,

2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.
How does Jesus set us free from the law of sin and death?

How does Jesus impart spiritual life into a soul?

coksiw 04-03-2021 12:13 PM

I received the Spirit speaking in tongues in a Trinitarian church. I saw many preachers speaking under the anointing many times in Trinitarian churches. I saw instant healings and deliverances in Jesus' name in there as well. I was a minister in it.

My conclusion: Even if the preachers have some areas of doctrine where they are not right, or even they themselves are not 100% right with God, God can still move because the congregation comes to gather with hunger for Him, and with faith in Jesus' name.

An extreme example is Balaam in the Bible. He knew the things of God, but he also didn't have the right heart. He went for the money. However, for the sake of God's people, Balaam was mightily anointed and filled with the Spirit to speak blessing prophetically over the people of God.

I'm sure you can find more examples in the Bible (e.g. Jesus saying to listen to the Pharisees teachings but do not do as they do comes to mind).

However, when the doctrinal foundation is weak, things deteriorate over time. I have seen that as well with my own eyes.

Michael The Disciple 04-03-2021 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Originalist (Post 1602232)
Most people who receive the Holy Ghost are not at that point even thinking in the depth you assert concerning the nature of the godhead. They are seeking the Holy Ghost because they have repented, believed on the lordship of Jesus the Son of God, and want to be empowered to live a life that pleases God.

Totally true unless you happened to have started out in a Oneness Church. The first time I hear the statement "Jesus is the Father" I thought it was absurd.

LOVE JESUS 04-05-2021 11:20 PM

I don't think the Trinity people are spending their time counting how many Gods they are serving. They are just worshipping God and calling on Him. They may not understand the Apostolic message or really even know about it. They have received the genuine Holy Ghost - speaking in tongues.

We need to spend our time praying and preaching and getting people saved rather than trying to convert the already saved ones to our doctrine. There is a lost and hurting world out there that needs Jesus. They are on their way to hell if we don't tell them about the Blood of Jesus.

Nicodemus1968 04-06-2021 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mont.preterist (Post 1602222)

It certainly is!

To tell a trinitarian that we both worship the same God, and we know and understand that there is only ONE. Yet, they worship three of them, then how do we worship the same God? And according to that trinitarian, we donít.

Just like the Mormons out here in Utah, Ill tell them there is only ONE God and his name is Jesus. Theyíll tell you, No! There is God the father and his son Jesus, two separate deities. They take the body of Jesus and make a god out of it! The revelation of who Jesus is in the heavenly realm has not been given to them.

I have family members that are catholic, and they will pray to Mary the mother of Jesus to go on their behalf for a certain situation.

Again, do we worship the same God?

Nicodemus1968 04-06-2021 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOVE JESUS (Post 1602253)
I don't think the Trinity people are spending their time counting how many Gods they are serving. They are just worshipping God and calling on Him. They may not understand the Apostolic message or really even know about it. They have received the genuine Holy Ghost - speaking in tongues.

We need to spend our time praying and preaching and getting people saved rather than trying to convert the already saved ones to our doctrine. There is a lost and hurting world out there that needs Jesus. They are on their way to hell if we don't tell them about the Blood of Jesus.

The trinitarians I know, pray to each of their deities. Thatís why they baptize in the titles father, son, and Holy Ghost, because they don't have a relationship with Jesus Christ. Remember, the Jews wouldíve killed you for believing in more than One God!

I believe people can receive the Holy Ghost anywhere, my son is going to receive it in our home missions bible study. Yet, Iím fully persuaded that in order for a person to receive the Holy Ghost they have to believe that Jesus Christ is God. Now, with that said, I don't believe they have to have all the understanding, they need to believe. There are people in our ranks that still cant tell if they believe in 1 or 2, so Iím not expecting every new convert to understand, just believe.

Michael The Disciple 04-06-2021 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 (Post 1602256)
The trinitarians I know, pray to each of their deities. Thatís why they baptize in the titles father, son, and Holy Ghost, because they don't have a relationship with Jesus Christ. Remember, the Jews wouldíve killed you for believing in more than One God!

I believe people can receive the Holy Ghost anywhere, my son is going to receive it in our home missions bible study. Yet, Iím fully persuaded that in order for a person to receive the Holy Ghost they have to believe that Jesus Christ is God. Now, with that said, I don't believe they have to have all the understanding, they need to believe. There are people in our ranks that still cant tell if they believe in 1 or 2, so Iím not expecting every new convert to understand, just believe.

I received the Holy Ghost believing Jesus is the son of God. This was 6 weeks after I repented and committed my life to him. I had not been to a Church yet. I had never been in a Pentecostal or Charismatic Church in my life.

As I recall I dont think I had ever heard the phrase "Jesus is God" yet I had an experience on 4-3-1974 with tongues and prophecy. Later as I began to read Christian books and attend various Churches I heard of the "Trinity".

It was 4 years down the road when I got baptized in Jesus name. I did it because I could see it in the book of Acts. It may have been another year before I actually got the revelation of Oneness.

In no way would I ever think what I got in 1974 was anything but the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Bro Flame 04-06-2021 07:31 AM

Quote:

I cannot entirely agree with this statement. There are some people in Trinitarian churches that probably don't even think of God as a Trinity in theological terms, but because they hear "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" they think Trinity.

If a man or woman is genuine with God and they worship Him, I do believe they get the genuine Holy Ghost when they seek it. It wouldn't matter what church they went to or what it said on their sign, nor would it matter if they got the Holy Ghost at home or in the car on the way to work. God will give it whenever He sees fit. No argument there.

But I'd say that these Trinitarian preachers, evangelists, and missionaries that have been to seminaries (otherwise known as cemetery) have been indoctrinated with the Trinity. These are the ones that will defend their triune theology and tell you that the Oneness message is heresy and modalism. They think our holiness views are legalism, and they would never baptize in Jesus Name because Jesus didn't say that at the end of Matthew. These people that speak in tongues probably just have tongues, and they aren't of God. They deny who God is, so how can they have the Spirit?

votivesoul 04-06-2021 07:49 AM

The idiocy in this thread rampages unabated.

All those alleged "3 godders" who didn't receive the real Holy Spirit, because how can they? who have tongues but not from God, testify against such blasphemy because ALL of your early Oneness forefathers in the movement were ALL Trinitarians when they received the genuine Holy Spirit and spoke in real tongues from God.

1 God 04-06-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple (Post 1602259)
I received the Holy Ghost believing Jesus is the son of God. This was 6 weeks after I repented and committed my life to him. I had not been to a Church yet. I had never been in a Pentecostal or Charismatic Church in my life.

As I recall I dont think I had ever heard the phrase "Jesus is God" yet I had an experience on 4-3-1974 with tongues and prophecy. Later as I began to read Christian books and attend various Churches I heard of the "Trinity".

It was 4 years down the road when I got baptized in Jesus name. I did it because I could see it in the book of Acts. It may have been another year before I actually got the revelation of Oneness.

In no way would I ever think what I got in 1974 was anything but the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Amen. God is not confined to denominations. He gives us the Spirit of truth to lead us and guide us into all truth. Anyone can receive the Holy Ghost.

coksiw 04-06-2021 08:46 AM

Quote:

I will not stop teaching and preaching the truth even to Trinitarians.
I was a Trinitarian minister, and I am so thankful I came to the Truth.

There are spiritual implications of knowing the Truth. Those that understand this deeply are those that had the experience of being a Trinitarian with a relationship with God and then being a Holiness Oneness with a relationship with God. There is a difference, in closeness, stability, etc..., not to even say the needed foundation to be saved.

Amanah 04-06-2021 09:42 AM

My Cathlolic Mom was invited to attend an AOG when I was 11, when the preacher gave the altar call, I was the first to step out and run to the altar and be filled with the HG, speaking in tongues.

We were not church goers and I didn't see the inside of a church again for years.

When I was 15 a street preacher showed me acts 2:38 and asked me if I wanted to be baptized in Jesus name? Yes, of course!

God has been so wonderfully kind and loving towards me to keep reaching for me, guiding and directing me from my youth even till this day.

mont.preterist 04-06-2021 12:33 PM

I would preach in a trinitarian church if they asked me to. I would preach whatever the Lord wanted me to preach.

I would treat it the same as preaching on a streetcorner or a public venue.

I do believe that many people start out thinking they are trinitarian, ask for the Holy Ghost, receive the HG, then go on into a better understanding of God.

To say that God cannot fill someone with the HG, even in a trinitarian church is limiting God.

The New Birth is a faith issue.

But if they stay in those churches with the false doctrine is another matter.

Bro Flame 04-06-2021 01:35 PM

I think I need to clear up some of what I've said in earlier posts. I realize I am not always the clearest when I type my replies here. It isn't the easiest to convey messages through the computer screens.

I don't mean for my comments to be taken as if I am limiting God. I understand that God can fill anyone with the Holy Ghost whenever He wishes. These people can go to any church, or perhaps don't go to a building at all. God is merciful and He will fill people with the Holy Ghost that genuinely seek Him.

votivesoul 04-06-2021 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanah (Post 1602264)
My Cathlolic Mom was invited to attend an AOG when I was 11, when the preacher gave the altar call, I was the first to step out and run to the altar and be filled with the HG, speaking in tongues.

We were not church goers and I didn't see the inside of a church again for years.

When I was 15 a street preacher showed me acts 2:38 and asked me if I wanted to be baptized in Jesus name? Yes, of course!

God has been so wonderfully kind and loving towards me to keep reaching for me, guiding and directing me from my youth even till this day.

Hi, Sis. Welcome back. Glad to see you posting again.

And thank you for sharing your testimony!

votivesoul 04-06-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mont.preterist (Post 1602265)
I would preach in a trinitarian church if they asked me to. I would preach whatever the Lord wanted me to preach.

I do believe that many people start out thinking they are trinitarian, ask for the Holy Ghost, receive the HG, then go on into a better understanding of God.

To say that God cannot fill someone with the HG, even in a trinitarian church is limiting God.

What if they stay in Oneness churches with false doctrine?

Nicodemus1968 04-06-2021 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple (Post 1602259)

Then I guess you proved me wrong.

Nicodemus1968 04-06-2021 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by votivesoul (Post 1602261)

All those alleged "3 godders" who didn't receive the real Holy Spirit, because how can they? who have tongues but not from God, testify against such blasphemy because ALL of your early Oneness forefathers in the movement were ALL Trinitarians when they received the genuine Holy Spirit and spoke in real tongues from God.

Can we say a trinitarian believer?

Nicodemus1968 04-06-2021 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by votivesoul (Post 1602261)

I don't think so.

Ever since the inception of the church, there has always been a church. Meaning those that believe that Jesus Christ is God, not a second person in the fictional trinity, but that he is God. We're there some that believe in the Trinity doctrine? Absolutely, yet they came out of that darkness into his marvelous light.

Nicodemus1968 04-06-2021 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mont.preterist (Post 1602265)

I don't mean to say God can't fill a soul with his spirit in a trinitarian church. I just believe

John 8:24 KJVS
[24] I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he , ye shall die in your sins.

Unless you believe that Jesus Christ is the same one that spoke to Moses at the burning bush, you will die in your sins.

Also;

Hebrews 11:6 AMP
[6] But without faith it is impossible to [walk with God and] please Him, for whoever comes [near] to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He rewards those who [earnestly and diligently] seek Him.

In order to please God you MUST believe he exists.

And your correct the new birth is a faith issue. Yet, what happens when a catholic believer says she received the Holy Ghost because she prayed to Mary the mother of Jesus and she believes Mary intervened (to her son Jesus) on her behalf? Does she have the Holy Ghost? Am I limiting God?

Originalist 04-06-2021 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 (Post 1602272)
I don't mean to say God can't fill a soul with his spirit in a trinitarian church. I just believe

John 8:24 KJVS
[24] I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he , ye shall die in your sins.

Unless you believe that Jesus Christ is the same one that spoke to Moses at the burning bush, you will die in your sins.

Trinitarians do affirm this.

Also;

Hebrews 11:6 AMP
[6] But without faith it is impossible to [walk with God and] please Him, for whoever comes [near] to God must [necessarily] believe that God exists and that He rewards those who [earnestly and diligently] seek Him.

In order to please God you MUST believe he exists.

And your correct the new birth is a faith issue. Yet, what happens when a catholic believer says she received the Holy Ghost because she prayed to Mary the mother of Jesus and she believes Mary intervened (to her son Jesus) on her behalf? Does she have the Holy Ghost? Am I limiting God?

Apples and oranges. Trinitarians do receive the Holy Ghost through faith in the work of the cross alone, not extra-biblical garbage.

:nod