Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   The Library (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   What are you reading currently? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=946)

J-Roc 12-30-2007 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 340263)
Pastor Cymbala's church in Brooklyn is listed as part of the Global Network org. I've only read one of Pastor Cymbala's books and that was years ago. It told about his becoming pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. That is really quite a church. Have you ever seen any of their tapes/DVD's and some of the testimonies of how God dramatically changed folks' lives through that ministriy?

I have not viewed any DVDs, however, I have read around 4 of his books and in each of them he is always sharing some very amazing testimonies (ones that choke you up and swell your eyes because you marvel at God's infinite love)...in this book that I am recommending, he shared the testimony of one of the last survivors of the 9/11 Twin Towers attack - Genelle Guzman-McMillan (who attends the Brooklyn Tabernacle).

Her story is amazing and demonstrates the power of God and can strengthen your faith here:

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101...asurvivor.html

crakjak 12-30-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Roc (Post 340176)
I highly recommend "Breakthrough Prayer" by Jim Cymbala...I finished it early this morning.

http://www.agapegifts.net/Books/bd_81.jpg

It rejects the teaching of the "sovereignty of God" which many Christians weakly default to thinking "Oh well, God will do it if he wants to...." and rather focuses on fervent and earnest prayer that taps into the God's will to act on our behalf. It also rejects the "word of faith" camp and their "blad it and grab it" philosophy and correctly shows that some Christians will endure hardship and suffering and that not all circumstances are rosy and peachy. It shows how there are different levels of believer's faith...here's an excerpt where he goes over that:

The Apostle Paul knew that faith is paramount in the daily life of the Christian. After all, the Believer is saved by grace through faith. We are admonished to live by faith and not by sight. We are told that without faith it is impossible to please God. Jesus taught that we receive from God according to our faith and he marveled whenever he saw great faith. The scriptures not only declare that by faith we are justified, but that the righteous will live by faith. Christians are to daily engage in the good fight of faith but are to remember that through faith they are shielded by God's power. While some have faith that "is weak", there are Christians whose "faith grows" and even those who "excel in faith." Faith must be "continued in," and it varies in size. (Jesus spoke about faith that is "small as a mustard seed.") Most important, there are false teachings that "destroy the faith of some," and there are Christians who have "shipwrecked their faith." In this context, faith means the moral persuasion or conviction that leads the heart to rely on Christ. Because faith can grow or diminish, Paul was anxious to know the level of faith among his Believers in Thessalonica.

Paul realized as well that every believer faces difficulties. He didn't want the Thessalonians to be unsettled by their trials, so he reminded them that he had earlier told them they were "destined for them." Paul's Spirit-inspired teaching on this subject is very different from the modern teaching that says "word of faith" people need never experience continued negative circumstances.

Faith is absolutely essential, not only for spiritual health, but also for breakthrough prayer. James says it is not merely prayer, but "the prayer offered in faith" that will make the sick person well (James 5:15).

I have read all of Jim's books, great story of faith and what God has and is doing in NY.
Great Post, Bro.

Bro-Larry 12-31-2007 05:41 PM

I just read : Plans, Purposes and Pursuits by Kenneth Hagin, and The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind by Bill Johnson.

Both are really great when you are seeking the will of God for direction.

Motivation without direction leads to frustration.

Bro-Larry 01-22-2008 08:16 PM

Houses that
change the world
Towards a Re-Incarnation of Church by Wolfgang Simson

Exciting read !!

Pressing-On 01-22-2008 08:25 PM

Barack Obama - The Audacity of Hope.

Here are a couple of his best points! Hahahahaha

"I believe in evolution, scientific inquiry and global warming."

"How well these stories are told, the subtlety of the arguments and the quality of the evidence, will vary by author, and I won't deny my preference for the story the Democrats tell, nor my belief that the arguments of liberals are more often grounded in reason and fact."

Pressing-On 01-22-2008 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 340263)
Pastor Cymbala's church in Brooklyn is listed as part of the Global Network org. I've only read one of Pastor Cymbala's books and that was years ago. It told about his becoming pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. That is really quite a church. Have you ever seen any of their tapes/DVD's and some of the testimonies of how God dramatically changed folks' lives through that ministriy?

Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire! Very awesome book!

Scott Hutchinson 01-22-2008 08:56 PM

I am reading The Jewish New Testament which I'm truly enjoying.

firefox 01-24-2008 08:20 AM

I recently completed:
Every Man's Battle by Stephen Arterburn
Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald
Confessions of a Pastor by Craig Groeschel

am currently reading:
Worship 365: The power of a worshiping life by David Edwards

on deck:
Chazown by Craig Groeschel
Dangerous Intersections: 11 Crucial Crossroads facing the chruch in america by Jay Dennis and Jim Henry

Sis. Lou 01-24-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pressing-On (Post 364859)
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire! Very awesome book!

So true, very good book. Just finished "A House United" by Francis Frangipane. He has some very good work, such as "This Day We Fight" and an all time favorite, "Holiness, Truth and the Presence of God."

Fab 01-24-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sis. Lou (Post 366452)
So true, very good book. Just finished "A House United" by Francis Frangipane. He has some very good work, such as "This Day We Fight" and an all time favorite, "Holiness, Truth and the Presence of God."

Good material.