Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What is the GOSPEL? (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=50242)

KeptByTheWord 10-24-2016 10:16 AM

What is the GOSPEL?

Seems a simple enough question, of course.

Back up your statement with scripture that supports the question.

KeptByTheWord 10-24-2016 10:41 AM

Re: What is the GOSPEL?

Is there a scripture that says simply, "The gospel is ______ "

I have looked, and found pages of scriptures that say the gospel has been preached, and many references to the gospel, defending it, preaching it, suffering for it etc., .... but no actual scripture that stands by itself and says.... the gospel is ______ (the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus ?) or (repent, be baptized and receive the gift of the HG with the evidence of speaking with other tongues) or (all of Jesus' words are the gospel)... or _____ ????

I find nowhere in the NT where the gospel is explicitly stated. It was a general concept that was understood, but never fully elucidated as to what it exactly was.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

KeptByTheWord 10-24-2016 10:56 AM

However, there are MANY scriptures in Acts where the gospel is preached as is the resurrection of Jesus.

Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Acts 4:2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

Acts 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

Acts 13:38 Be it known unto you therefore, men and brethren, that through this man is preached unto you the forgiveness of sins:

Acts 17:18 Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection.

John 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Acts 4:2 Being grieved that they taught the people, and preached through Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

And perhaps the most powerful of them all, here in Paul's own words, spoken in Ephesus to the elders of the church (Acts 20:17) where he recounts his life and what gospel he has preached:

Acts 20:18-24
18 And when they were come to him, he said unto them, Ye know, from the first day that I came into Asia, after what manner I have been with you at all seasons,
19 Serving the Lord with all humility of mind, and with many tears, and temptations, which befell me by the lying in wait of the Jews:
20 And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house,
21 Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
22 And now, behold, I go bound in the spirit unto Jerusalem, not knowing the things that shall befall me there:
23 Save that the Holy Ghost witnesseth in every city, saying that bonds and afflictions abide me.
24 But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God.

shazeep 10-24-2016 11:48 AM

"Messenger of 'Well Done!'"

http://biblehub.com/greek/2097.htm

Amanah 10-24-2016 03:08 PM

1 Corinthians 15(NIV)

15 Now, brothers and sisters, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas,[b] and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers and sisters at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. 7 Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, 8 and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

9 For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. 10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11 Whether, then, it is I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

mfblume 10-24-2016 03:11 PM

1Co 15:1-4....Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; ..(2)....By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. ..(3)....For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; ..(4)....And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Amanah 10-24-2016 03:23 PM

1Co 15:3) For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

(1Co 15:4) And that Jesus was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

(Col 1:14) In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

(Joh 3:15) That whosoever believeth in Jesus should not perish, but have eternal life.

(Act 4:10) Be it known unto you ...that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom was crucified, whom God raised from the dead...

(Act 4:11) This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

(Act 4:12) Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

(Joh 14:6) Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father (God), but by me.

(Joh 3:5) Jesus answered, truely, truely, I say unto you, Except a person be born of water (Water Baptism, fully under) and of the Spirit (Baptism of the Holy Ghost), you cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

(Act 2:38) ...Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission (forgiveness) of sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

(Act 2:39) For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

(Act 10:43) To him (Jesus) give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

(Act 10:44) While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

(Act 10:45) And they of the circumcision (Jews) which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles (non-Jews) also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.

(Act 10:46) For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

(Act 10:47) Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

(Act 10:48) And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus...

(Act 22:16) And now why wait you? arise, and be (water) baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord Jesus.

(Act 2:21) And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord Jesus shall be saved.

(Rom 2:4) Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth you to repentance?

(Eph 1:13) In whom (Jesus) you also trusted, after that you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that you believed, you were sealed with that Holy Spirit (Ghost) of promise,...

(1Jn 2:25) And this is the promise that he (Jesus) hath promised us, even eternal life.

MarkBelosa 10-24-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeptByTheWord (Post 1452233)
Seems a simple enough question, of course.

Back up your statement with scripture that supports the question.

1. The gospel is what saves us.

Romans 1:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

2. The gospel is something that must be preached to every creature.

Mark 16:15-17 King James Version (KJV)

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

3. The gospel is something you have to believe and obey.

2 Thessalonians 1:8King James Version (KJV)

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

4. The gospel is the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 15 King James Version (KJV)

15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

5. There is only one gospel - the one first preached by the apostles.

Galatians 1:6-9 King James Version (KJV)

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

When the Holy Ghost was first poured out, Peter preached the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ to the crowd. (Acts 2:1-36)

When he was closing his first sermon, he proclaimed, "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ" (that's in verse 36), how did the crowd respond? How did they believe? How did they accept Jesus as Lord and Christ? How did they obey the gospel?

We learn in the next verse (Acts 2:37) that they were convicted of their sins and asked Peter what they needed to do. Did Peter tell them to repeat a prayer? No. Did he assure them that it's enough to mentally "accept" the Lordship of Christ and "acknowledge" how he died and rose again to save us from sin? No.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

That was his response. That verse, along with many other supporting scriptures show us that in order to be saved (gospel), we need to believe in Jesus Christ and identify with his death, burial and resurrection through repentance, baptism and receiving of the Holy Ghost.

Cracker Barrel 10-24-2016 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkBelosa (Post 1452296)
1. The gospel is what saves us.

Romans 1:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

2. The gospel is something that must be preached to every creature.

Mark 16:15-17 King James Version (KJV)

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

3. The gospel is something you have to believe and obey.

2 Thessalonians 1:8King James Version (KJV)

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

4. The gospel is the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 15 King James Version (KJV)

15 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

5. There is only one gospel - the one first preached by the apostles.

Galatians 1:6-9 King James Version (KJV)

6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

When the Holy Ghost was first poured out, Peter preached the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ to the crowd. (Acts 2:1-36)

When he was closing his first sermon, he proclaimed, "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ" (that's in verse 36), how did the crowd respond? How did they believe? How did they accept Jesus as Lord and Christ? How did they obey the gospel?

We learn in the next verse (Acts 2:37) that they were convicted of their sins and asked Peter what they needed to do. Did Peter tell them to repeat a prayer? No. Did he assure them that it's enough to mentally "accept" the Lordship of Christ and "acknowledge" how he died and rose again to save us from sin? No.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

That was his response. That verse, along with many other supporting scriptures show us that in order to be saved (gospel), we need to believe in Jesus Christ and identify with his death, burial and resurrection through repentance, baptism and receiving of the Holy Ghost.

Can someone please get this guy a microphone !!

Amen!! Couldn't have said it better myself !

When I let the 10 toes on my feet hang off the front of my board tomorrow morning I'm gonna be thinking of you.

:highfive

shazeep 10-25-2016 07:34 AM

Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up