Apostolic Friends Forum

Apostolic Friends Forum (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/index.php)
-   Fellowship Hall (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sons Inheriting Churches from Fathers $$$ (https://www.apostolicfriendsforum.com/showthread.php?t=54417)

returnman 03-30-2021 07:08 AM

Re: Sons Inheriting Churches from Fathers $$$

Quote:

Originally Posted by Originalist (Post 1602085)
Great post.

In the Assemblies of God, every church is sovereign. But to be an AG affiliate church, local assemblies must conform to certain methods of choosing a pastor. The District does not get involved. Though it is not a denomination in the truest sense, churches and pastors must adhere to the AG Constitution. Every AG church is required to have a deacon board. If a pastor departs from AG teaching, the church must either boot him or be expelled as a constituent member congregation. Fat chance that the UPCI will ever adopt any such system.

Years ago I got some insight into why the ministers that became the ACI left the UPC in the late 60's. From what I was told it had to do with being accountable to district officials where they felt they were over stepping authority. If you look at the typical church affiliated with that movement you'll find a very totalitarian form of church government simply put, the pastor is the decision maker top to bottom. The only input he would ever get regarding passing of his pastoral duties would be from his peers. Yielding that to the local church would be a sign of weakness and loss of control.

Originalist 03-30-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by returnman (Post 1602160)
Years ago I got some insight into why the ministers that became the ACI left the UPC in the late 60's. From what I was told it had to do with being accountable to district officials where they felt they were over stepping authority. If you look at the typical church affiliated with that movement you'll find a very totalitarian form of church government simply put, the pastor is the decision maker top to bottom. The only input he would ever get regarding passing of his pastoral duties would be from his peers. Yielding that to the local church would be a sign of weakness and loss of control.

And THAT, not doctrine, is why I left the UPCI.

Tithesmeister 03-30-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by returnman (Post 1602160)

That sounds like the same reason that the AMF left the UPCI.

TakingDominion 03-30-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tithesmeister (Post 1602162)
That sounds like the same reason that the AMF left the UPCI.

ACI/AMF are the same organization... they had to change their name at one point and then changed back at least once.

Tithesmeister 03-30-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakingDominion (Post 1602164)
ACI/AMF are the same organization... they had to change their name at one point and then changed back at least once.

I do seem to remember that now that you mention it. No wonder it sounded familiar.

coksiw 03-30-2021 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TakingDominion (Post 1602164)

What is ACI/AMF? Never heard of those acronyms.

Nicodemus1968 03-30-2021 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coksiw (Post 1602166)
What is ACI/AMF? Never heard of those acronyms.

AMF:
Apostolic Ministerial Fellowship

This group came into play in the 1960’s, ministers that were tired of the politics of the UPC. Ministers like Verbal Bean, C.R. Free, Murray Burr, formed the fellowship. In one of Bro. Burrs books he states his disappointment how the fellowship is now just a political organization.

coksiw 03-30-2021 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 (Post 1602171)
AMF:

This group came into play in the 1960’s, ministers that were tired of the politics of the UPC. Ministers like Verbal Bean, C.R. Free, Murray Burr, formed the fellowship. In one of Bro. Burrs books he states his disappointment how the fellowship is now just a political organization.

All their links on FB are messed up. None of them work. It does not feel like a serious start.

Nicodemus1968 03-31-2021 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coksiw (Post 1602172)
All their links on FB are messed up. None of them work. It does not feel like a serious start.

Look up the thread “Who was Harry Morse” and go to page 96. Scott P. and myself discussed the start up of the AMF.

returnman 03-31-2021 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodemus1968 (Post 1602171)
AMF:

For many years and even into the 90's they where still bashing the UPC calling out specific names. I was part of a very conservative UPC church that fellow shipped with one of the ACI churches. No way would I have taken a visitor to one of their services to hear all that bashing.